New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE=3]Tablets, e-book readers close book on ink-and-paper era[/SIZE]
    GLENN CHAPMAN, AFP December 9, 2011 2:48pm

SAN FRANCISCO - Tablet computers and electronic readers promise to eventually close the book on the ink-and-paper era as they transform the way people browse magazines, check news or lose themselves in novels.

"It is only a matter of time before we stop killing trees and all publications become digital," Creative Strategies president and principal analyst Tim Bajarin told AFP.

Online retail giant Amazon made electronic readers mainstream with Kindle devices and Apple ignited insatiable demand for tablets ideal for devouring online content ranging from films to magazines and books....

CLICK on link to continue: "Tablets, ebook readers close book on ink-&-paper"
    LINK: "Tablets, ebook readers close book on ink-&-paper"

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Tablet PC is the future of mobile computing.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Tablet PC is the future of mobile computing.
    I seriously doubt it. Have you seriously tried typing a lengthy business letter or an article to be published on a tablet? Although tablets will have a niche, notebook PCs will still be the future of mobile computing (and even home computing as well with more people using notebooks to replace desktop PCs).

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    E-readers are fantastically convenient devices - I carry hundreds of books in mine. While a lot of people while say that tablets can serve the same function, and offer more besides, the sunlight legibility and battery life (measured in weeks, not hours) offered by my Sony e-reader are capabilities not matched by any tablet. If you're not reading picture-heavy or layout dependent books, e-readers make so much more sense than a normal book.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    E-readers are fantastically convenient devices - I carry hundreds of books in mine. While a lot of people while say that tablets can serve the same function, and offer more besides, the sunlight legibility and battery life (measured in weeks, not hours) offered by my Sony e-reader are capabilities not matched by any tablet. If you're not reading picture-heavy or layout dependent books, e-readers make so much more sense than a normal book.
    I also carry lots of magazines in my ultrabook (and formerly, in my netbooks).

Although limited to hours of battery life, a lightweight notebook PC is still a great way to have mobile computing flexibility.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Whenever Im on a quick out of town trip, I just bring my iPAD. Its good enough for Reading Email and Internet purposes.

These days, laptop stays home more often.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    Digital gluttony of the third kind....

First was music,- then movies, and then books.... Guilty your Honor....

14.5K:higop:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post
    Whenever Im on a quick out of town trip, I just bring my iPAD. Its good enough for Reading Email and Internet purposes.

These days, laptop stays home more often.
    Same here. We only bring the laptop when we have real, serious key crunching work to do... or if the kids don't want to surrender the Ipad to us.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    A laptop can't beat a desktop in terms of versatility, a laptop can't beat a tablet in terms of mobility. Streaming and now the cloud makes the tablet more desirable...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    This:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
"Tablets, e-book readers close book on ink-and-paper era"