New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon View Post
    You get more bang for your buck when you assemble your own PC rather than buying a branded one out of the box IMHO.
    Unfortunately not everyone is capable of assembling their own PCs.

OT: I need to upgrade my home PC already. Gastos nanaman.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Once you go mac you won't go back.

The big difference is the OS. Softwares in mac is seamless. They are all connected so tasks are more convenient.

I have my mac for 2 years now and it hasn't slowed down. I haven't had major repair, and if it is under apple care, claiming warranty is more convenient.

I've been a PC user for for 15 years, pero now that I have bought mac, all my future purchase will be mac products.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The problem with Mac is the limited available softwares, especially the business softwares.

It's more intended for personal/home use or heavy graphics applications.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I also got suck in the Mac hype back in 2006. Bought a Macbook. Pero medyo regret ko din kasi ang mahal ng hardware sobra, very limited work software (I am a stock/currency/commodity trader and my charting software don't have Mac versions only works on Windows) so nag virtualization pa ako which defeats the purpose of buying a Mac (OSX). The hardware is ***y but the practical me says the next computer purchase is a PC again this time with Windows 7.

The only people I see benefiting from a Mac are artists. Whether photographers, musicians, or film makers yan ayos ang Mac. For the rest of us though especially the gamers out there PC pa din!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I second Tidus' comments. It all boils down to its use as well as the buyer's preference.

Since you'll be using it as a multimedia device, the Mac Mini is a good choice. Be wary though, you can build a decent HTPC with that budget.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nurse_corrupted View Post
    Once you go mac you won't go back.

The big difference is the OS. Softwares in mac is seamless.
    I'm also one of those who own several Macs and pc's. Quite frankly, I'm not convinced the Mac has a commanding lead (if at all) although OSX still have a slight edge in aesthetics.

But, they are still good computers. We have two Mac Minis at home plus the MacBook my daughter have from school.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm more partial to *nix based OSs. on PCs I will install Linux first and use it as my primary desktop environment then just virtualize Windows if I need to.

One of the best things about OS X is that it is BSD based. Since BSD is very stable, you get fewer crashes on OS X. Although, I must admit, there are fewer BSODs on Windows these days.

Hardware:
    if i have the money i will buy a Mac but i'm quite happy to use any other pc hardware. One good thing about Mac hardware is that because it is now Intel based, so you can now install and use any other OS on it (Windows, Linux, BSD/Unix, BeOS/Haiku) without doing any hacking.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    i'm more partial to *nix based OSs. on PCs I will install Linux first and use it as my primary desktop environment then just virtualize Windows if I need to.

One of the best things about OS X is that it is BSD based. Since BSD is very stable, you get fewer crashes on OS X. Although, I must admit, there are fewer BSODs on Windows these days.

Hardware:
    if i have the money i will buy a Mac but i'm quite happy to use any other pc hardware. One good thing about Mac hardware is that because it is now Intel based, so you can now install and use any other OS on it (Windows, Linux, BSD/Unix, BeOS/Haiku) without doing any hacking.
    I'm the opposite. I've used Linux starting from 1995. It has progressed a lot since. But commercial support is still relatively low and that's what makes it a hard sell for many. If it really was that good, then adoption rates should have skyrocketed and the piracy of Windows dropping. If commercial support improves I may do the same thing as you are. For now though, I run Windows as host and Linux as guest.

As for running Linux on a Mac, it's relatively pointless since OSX is the most polished (unix-based and otherwise) OS around. Apple's Mac/OSX is probably what's keeping Linux adoption rates low since they steal most of the disgruntled Windows users who would have otherwise moved to Linux.

Also, a Mac Mini with satisfactory performance can be had for $600. Considering the build quality, diminutive size, and the great quality of the software bundle, I guess the price isn't too bad. I still have my Core Duo with Tiger while my daughter has her C2D with Leopard. They're a bit short on the gaming side. But, they handle everything else quite well still.

Add: I remember when Macs really were expensive. I bought a slightly used Mac IIcx (late 80's/early 90's) for almost $4k. A Mac Mini costs $600 nowadays. So the price differential between Macs and pc's isn't really that big anymore. Even a 13" MacBook Pro with 7-hr battery can be had for $1200.

So, yup. Macs have stolen a lot of the Linux' thunder.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 24th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i guess it depend on the scope of use of the person. I'm a developer so it makes more sense to me to have linux as my primary OS. linux is good but I also agree that it is still not ready for the average user.

one of the biggest factor why it has not progressed much in terms of usability is the ego of community. everybody thinks they know what's best so they just keep forking projects; kaya kanya-kanya ang direction. this is also the reason why i only stick to Ubuntu these days.

for me OS X is still the best OS out there because it has a great UI while having a rock solid core.
    Last edited by roninblade; October 24th, 2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade
    for me OS X is still the best OS out there because it has a great UI while having a rock solid core.
    +1. The biggest draw for me is the frustration over Vista, Apple's aesthetic design, build quality, resale value, and the thought that viruses are uncommon.

Apple products are not meant for everyone. It serves and appeals to those who use them for specific purposes. It just so happen that Apple is attracting more converts to their side out of sheer dismay over Windows and other OSs.

Windows 7 looks to be better than Vista and might even get me to have it as an alter OS via bootcamp. Cheers to two great offerings.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Swaying from PC to Mac...