New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    SSD is quite expensive, but is a necessary upgrade? If indeed it is already a must, is 120gig more than enough? Is the brand of SSD also an issue?

Aside from lesser booting time, what over advantages are there for an SSD?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    SSD is quite expensive, but is a necessary upgrade? If indeed it is already a must, is 120gig more than enough? Is the brand of SSD also an issue?

Aside from lesser booting time, what over advantages are there for an SSD?
    Upgrading to SSD is not necessary unless you want more speed/performance from your computer. SSD have faster read and write speeds. Also with no moving parts, they are not susceptible to issues of vibration and shock.

Cheaper alternative would be hybrid drives with SSD cache on a HDD. It has a small SSD drive onboard the HDD. The SSD portion works as a cache but it is a "learning" system. So first time use, it will perform at normal HDD speeds.

The basic choice is the standard high speed hard disk which spins at over 7000rpm.

Base model hard disks spin at 5400rpm.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 18th, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    cost of ssd does not justify the supposed advantage it has over hdd. besides, for consumer use, the increase in speed is minimal. unless, you're running io intensive apps, stick with hdds.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    if you have the money to burn, you will not regret upgrading to ssd

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    SSD speed up your
    1. windows boot-up
    2. copying files to your HD (but you will not do this most of the time and promise you willnot make your SSD as your storage dahil maliit lang sya :D)

SSD does not
    1. speed up your work.
    2. internet
    3. browsing
    4. make your appliction work faster

dagdagan nyo nalang

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vh3r View Post
    SSD speed up your
    1. windows boot-up
    2. copying files to your HD (but you will not do this most of the time and promise you willnot make your SSD as your storage dahil maliit lang sya :D)

SSD does not
    1. speed up your work.
    2. internet
    3. browsing

dagdagan nyo nalang
    Mali yung no.4, it will really make your apps to perform faster compared sa mechanical drives.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    vulnerable kasi ang mga protable hdd. kaya i gues it is worth upgrading to an ssd.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vh3r View Post
    SSD does not
    1. speed up your work.
    2. internet
    3. browsing

dagdagan nyo nalang
    Applications will run faster when installed in an SSD. Also, it will speed up your work dahil yun nga, faster boot times, application run faster.

Sir Atty, as of now, medyo ok na mag-invest para sa isang SSD drive, if you really need it badly. If not, then you're better with a mechanical HDD. Brand of SSD drive do really matter. Intel and Samsung SSDs are among the best SSDs when it comes to quality and reliability. Corsair, OCZ, are good when it comes to speed. Intel SSDs have better warranty policy here in the Philippines.

I am currently using 2 128GB Samsung SSD in RAID 0 configuration on my video/gaming desktop. Kung sa laptop naman, pwede na ang 128/120GB kung di naman heavy user. Pero kung heavy user, 240GB SSD na ang kunin.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Depends on the intended uses. The current truth is that, due to their higher cost per given capacity, SSDs are only economically viable for use on systems with which access speed and throughput matters. This means SSDs are typically the ideal storage medium to host the system OS or used as a 'scratch disk' as a way to improve response time and performance.

SSDs are also used on most ultrabooks for the following advantages:

1. Longer battery life - Conventional hard disks have continuously spinning disk(s) that requires power whether there's data actually going through it or not
    2. Less weight - Ultrabooks are meant to be portable so the need to shave off a few ounces here and there is a given
    3. Smaller / Thinner - It can be made to occupy a smaller footprint than conventional hard disks. In fact, most SSDs in ultrabooks are practically embedded on the system board to maximize the use of available space
    4. Instant-On - Simply put, who doesn't want Windows or OSX to be up and ready as soon as you press on the power button?

But for multi-terrabyte raw storage capacity, conventional hard disks are still king.
    Last edited by oj88; November 19th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I've been an SSD user since 2010.

I have a 40GB Intel X25-V SSD (that's it, in the center of the photo above) inside our Q6600 desktop PC and it loads Windows XP and the programs installed on it (OpenOffice 3.4, GIMP 2.6 and others) like you won't believe. I am a firm believer in the benefits of SSDs based on personal experience.

Nowadays, the hard disk drive is the slowest thing in a modern PC (apart from the optical disk drive). No matter how you much you invest in a fast processor or add more RAM, the PC will only be as fast and as responsive as the slowest component - in this case, the storage subsystem. Picking any SSD over any HDD will give you a noticeable improvement in actual day-to-day use.

On a desktop rig, the ideal setup is to have a small SSD for the OS and frequently used programs, which works in tandem with an HDD for everything else you have to store. There is little point in putting video, photos and documents on an SSD because you don't need the fast access on those kinds of files. A "small" SSD in this case can be 60-128GB, which should be enough for an installation of Windows 7 and a complement of programs and games.

On a laptop, things are a little trickier because most laptops have only one drive bay. The best thing you can do is to get the biggest SSD you can find. 256GB is the current sweet spot; I'm holding out for a 512GB SSD to be made available here (although those will be very expensive). SSDs have a number of advantages for mobile computing: they are shock-resistant, more tolerant of high temperatures, and run with less battery power because of the lack of mechanical parts.

SSD pricing has gotten a LOT cheaper in the past two years. My 40GB Intel X25-V cost me PhP5000 back in the day; you could get a 60 or 80GB SSD for that kind of money these days. The best thing is that they're getting cheaper and cheaper by the month.

Branding can be important, but you're really paying for the SSD's controller. Many cheap SSDs use SandForce's SF-2281 controller, which had teething problems but is now quite reliable. Once the paragon of reliability, Intel's SSDs used to run off their own controllers, but lately they've used SandForce silicon too, with their own "secret sauce" firmware. Samsung is one of the best and most reliable SSD manufacturers, using their own NAND memory and controllers in the 830- and 840-series SSDs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is an SSD a necessary upgrade? If so, how many GIGABYTES is enough?