New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    dont have any installed on my macbook and ubuntu linux desktop.
    mas masarap talaga pag di windows ang gamit - less risk of catching crap online.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    dont have any installed on my macbook and ubuntu linux desktop.
    mas masarap talaga pag di windows ang gamit - less risk of catching crap online.
    +1 on this. Naka dual-boot yung PC ko with XP and Ubuntu. Kung di ko kailangan gumamit ng Windows programs while connected to the internet, I just log on to Ubuntu to surf the net.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Even OSX and Linux are vulnerable to rootkits. These aren't your typical executable or script kiddie exploits.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    totally agree with Jun here...

i'm in the security industry and it's quite appalling that some of you here don't have any AV software at all.

just a reminder to everyone. no AV software see's 100% of malcious software. so just because you ran it a few times and don't see anything, that you're all fine (i use a combination of tools - most of which aren't available to the average joe). rootkits indeed are very pesky and cannot be seen by regular AV software.

there are a whole of other pesky stuff out there like keyloggers (capture anything you type and is sent to the person who installed the keylogging softare - i.e. bank accounts, passwords, etc), trojan horses (malicious program hiding behind a legit program), phishing sites (sites (i.e. a bank) that look like a real site - with a slightly different URL from the original site (i.e. www.hsbc.com.ph vs. www.hsbc.ph ), etc etc etc...

firewalls that are improperly configured aren't very helpful either. so even if you have one and the ports that are needed by malicious software or hackers are open, then you're dead anyway.

in any case, my philosophy is, better safe than sorry. i have a number of colleagues who had whole bank accounts wiped out (on their personal machines) due to being so lax in security. would you want to be one of them? ;)

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
    totally agree with Jun here...

i'm in the security industry and it's quite appalling that some of you here don't have any AV software at all.

just a reminder to everyone. no AV software see's 100% of malcious software. so just because you ran it a few times and don't see anything, that you're all fine (i use a combination of tools - most of which aren't available to the average joe). rootkits indeed are very pesky and cannot be seen by regular AV software.

there are a whole of other pesky stuff out there like keyloggers (capture anything you type and is sent to the person who installed the keylogging softare - i.e. bank accounts, passwords, etc), trojan horses (malicious program hiding behind a legit program), phishing sites (sites (i.e. a bank) that look like a real site - with a slightly different URL from the original site (i.e. www.hsbc.com.ph vs. www.hsbc.ph ), etc etc etc...

firewalls that are improperly configured aren't very helpful either. so even if you have one and the ports that are needed by malicious software or hackers are open, then you're dead anyway.

in any case, my philosophy is, better safe than sorry. i have a number of colleagues who had whole bank accounts wiped out (on their personal machines) due to being so lax in security. would you want to be one of them? ;)
    It's kind of scary with the new generation of malware out there.

Also, with concern to OSX being vulnerable...... Right now, most of the vulnerablilities are potential. It's a matter of someone taking advantage of that potential. At least for the short term, OSX without anti-virus protection is still relatively safe.

Can't say the same for Linux, though. There actually are rootkit exploits that target Linux.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 17th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmmm... lipat nalang ako open/freeBSD. openBSD - "secure by default". actually, i've been thinking of trying out the new freeBSD v.7. for my desktop - looks quite good from a geek's standpoint.

on the other hand, its still better to use OS X and Linux without antivirus than using windows. when im connected to PLDT DSL, every once in a while i tail (monitor real time) my firewall logs - medyo madami din interesting traffic na nakikita. I dont think an unsecure Windows box can last 10mins online without picking up some crap or being attacked right away.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    hmmm... lipat nalang ako open/freeBSD. openBSD - "secure by default". actually, i've been thinking of trying out the new freeBSD v.7. for my desktop - looks quite good from a geek's standpoint.

on the other hand, its still better to use OS X and Linux without antivirus than using windows. when im connected to PLDT DSL, every once in a while i tail (monitor real time) my firewall logs - medyo madami din interesting traffic na nakikita. I dont think an unsecure Windows box can last 10mins online without picking up some crap or being attacked right away.
    As a sysadmin several years ago, I had received advisories about BSD (including FreeBSD and OSX) vulnerabilities, esp with the spooler services. These weren't consumer-level advisories. They're more federal/enterprise/DoD level threats which target high-value information. Granted, they're not spyware or virus threats, but strictly hacking threats. But, that's besides the point. I learned not to rely on "inherent" secureness but on pro-active ones instead.

Linux/BSD/OSX are inherently more secure. That's why I have a Mini with Tiger and various Linux distros. But that doesn't mean they're foolproof.

When a Windows pc gets compromised, tools are readily available to deal with the problem. It's part of daily life in the platform. Not so with Unix/Linux. Since they're more robust, threats are more sophisticated which makes dealing with them harder. At least that was from my experience.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    me too. no AV. just the old sygate firewall lang. I leave my PC 24/7 with a once a month cleaning maintenance. (download freak)

I learned not to rely because of my bro in the industry. and 3 years ago my pc was 533mhz lang. kaya an AV installed is noticable in the performance. and also the old dillema of software install means another registry dirt for the OS to slow down. good thing my thinstall na tayo ngayon.

at kahit ngayon atleast Pentium IV na ako. nasanayan ko na hindi mag AV.

I do get virus from time to time from people's flashdisk. but still manualy curable with the help from google and Total Commander.
    Last edited by rion; March 18th, 2008 at 12:11 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i have an av installed. if you dont install any av software, your system wont seem to have any virus or spyware until it crashes.

i actually have several filters like an external firewall, firewall routers, software filters and several antivirus programs to check my computers, plus i have several locations and computers for my backup.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Isang "hindi sinasadyang" advantage ng Smart Bro, and other similar ISPs against malicious inbound connection attempts: Multiple NATs hehe.

Some tips I found to somewhat make your home system more secure (Windows):
    1. Turn off autorun.
    2. Turn off services that are not critical and prone to maliciousness (e.g. Telnet, Remote Registry, etc.)
    4. Turn off Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop (of course!)
    5. Modify Local Security Policies.
    6. Customize folder settings and access control e.g. show file extension para malaman kung executable ung file, baka kasi akala folder, un pala .exe, tapos ang may Full Control lang ay Owner at Administrators
    7. Don't name the system installation folder as "Windows" (nakalimutan ko tong gawin last time (2005 )
    8. Don't install sa Program Files, gumawa ng panibagong folder.
    9. Disable and Rename Administrator and Guest account.(common na toh)

Uuhhmm kung "less than honorable" ang Windows installation, turn off na rin Automatic Updates.

Saves on resources too.

Isip pa ako. Kung meron pang maisip . Dami ko kasing customization ginagawa pag new installation ng Windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Sino walang Antivirus sa PC?