New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    NAS really isn't an option. The data file need a host PC for it to be accessed. I already have a Western Digital NAS and I really can't use it for this purpose.

Are there Atom motherboards with RAID capability?
    Not sure. But the ones I have used didn't have RAID capability.

Our office server has a native SATA RAID on the motherboard but it's a typical ATX type Pentium4 Dual Core motherboard. I was specific in requiring SATA RAID capable motherboard when setting it up.

HDD mirroring is done as a backup but primary back up is still done by copying the data to USB flash drives everyday.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

It might have been many years since I have been a computer network tech but I think I am not suggesting a battleship to patrol a small river.
    it seems that you have acquired a habit of giving snide remarks... tsk.....

i think there is a term for that... flaming?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    it seems that you have acquired a habit of giving snide remarks... tsk.....

i think there is a term for that... flaming?
    Come on, it doesn't take much to know that what you were suggesting was overkill from the start. You already read the initial post YET you would go suggesting an enterprise level server where a simple file server built on an ordinary PC would be more than sufficient?

I might make side comments but based on what was already posted in this thread, your "suggested" setup is still an overkill. Maybe you should have known better even before suggesting it at all.

If you are offended by my comment, send it to boybi to see what he thinks.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 24th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://askville.amazon.com/hardware-...estId=12870452

Recommended System Configuration:
    ========================
    QuickBooks Pro/Premier on XP:
    -------------------------------------
    - At least 1.8GHz processor, 2.0GHz recommended
    - At least 256MB (512MB recommended) of RAM for a single user
    - At least 512MB of RAM for multiple, concurrent users
    - 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)

QuickBooks Pro/Premier on Vista:
    ---------------------------------------
    - At least 2.0GHz processor
    - At least 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
    - 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)

Disk Space requirements for additional software:
    =====================================
    - 50MB for Microsoft .NET 2.0 Runtime, provided on the QuickBooks CD
    - Google Desktop Search (in-product search) space requirements are determined by the size of the company file and the nature of usage. It is not unusual for indices to be as large as 1GB

Additional Hardware and Software:
    ========================
    Operating Systems supported:
    ------------------------------------
    - Windows XP (SP2 or later strongly recommended), all editions
    - Windows 2003 Server
    - Windows Vista, all editions
    - Windows Longhorn Server (database only, not client)

- 4x CD-ROM drive
    - Optimized for 1024x768 screen resolution or higher, supports 800x600 using "Small fontsÓ setting in your Windows control panel display settings

Database Server requirements:
    =======================
    - Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later strongly recommended), Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista, or Windows Longhorn Server operating systems
    - Linux is supported for Enterprise Solutions only (SUSE 10.2, fedora 6)

File Server requirements:
    =====================
    - Novell Netware server or Linux/Samba file servers can be used with advanced configuration; performance will be impacted on networks running less than 100Mbps

Integration/compatibility requirements:
    ===========================
    - QuickBooks is capable of integrating with hundreds of 3rd party applications (see http://www.marketplace.intuit.com for the most up-to-date list) in addition to the following standard integrations provided with QuickBooks, additional RAM will enhance the use of these features:
    - Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007
    - Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007
    - Contact Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007
    - Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (downloadable for free here: http://www.quickbooks.com/contact_sync)
    - Compatible with QuickBooks Customer Manager V2.0 and later, and QuickBooks -Client Manager v2.0 and later
    - Compatible with QuickBooks Point of Sale v4.0 and later
    - Business Planner functionality requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 and later
    - Payroll and other online features and services require internet access with at least a 56Kbps connection speed (DSL or cable modem recommended)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Based on the posted requirements, anything powerful enough to run Windows XP or Vista quickly should be good enough.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Come on, it doesn't take much to know that what you were suggesting was overkill from the start. You already read the initial post YET you would go suggesting an enterprise level server where a simple file server built on an ordinary PC would be more than sufficient?

I might make side comments but based on what was already posted in this thread, your "suggested" setup is still an overkill. Maybe you should have known better even before suggesting it at all.
    Wow! in the first place, i asked clarificatory questions so that i would know what type of server is needed. I have read the posts and I believe that it is quite incomplete that is why i asked follow up questions.

Second, a file server is very much different from a database server. you could ask around tsikot and we have lots of SAP consultants here that would confirm this. I know M2 is a SAP consultant and he would also tell you that a simple file server is quite different from a database server.

Now it all boils down to affordability and importance of your system. are you going to invest or not? that is why IT is being referred to as a cost center of a company since it entails huge investments.

anyway the topic has nothing to do with you giving snide remarks. you give uneccessary impolite remarks not only to me but to others who think differently or have suggested other options. I dont know if you have some issues in your head but i do think that your flaming attitude should be controlled.

It seems that you have problems boosting your ego that is why you create threads that are, should i say "ego boosters" and you tend to flame members that gives other options other than the one you are suggesting. You could disagree with another poster but you should do it in a nice way. Maybe you just need to learn how.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    if this is the case then boybi doesnt need to get a new system. I believe he already have a core 2 duo which freezes from time to time. You see there is a difference between running a program and running a system smoothly.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wow! in the first place, i asked clarificatory questions so that i would know what type of server is needed. I have read the posts and I believe that it is quite incomplete that is why i asked follow up questions.

Second, a file server is very much different from a database server. you could ask around tsikot and we have lots of SAP consultants here that would confirm this. I know M2 is a SAP consultant and he would also tell you that a simple file server is quite different from a database server.

Now it all boils down to affordability and importance of your system. are you going to invest or not? that is why IT is being referred to as a cost center of a company since it entails huge investments.

anyway the topic has nothing to do with you giving snide remarks. you give uneccessary impolite remarks not only to me but to others who think differently or have suggested other options. I dont know if you have some issues in your head but i do think that your flaming attitude should be controlled.

It seems that you have problems boosting your ego that is why you create threads that are, should i say "ego boosters" and you tend to flame members that gives other options other than the one you are suggesting. You could disagree with another poster but you should do it in a nice way. Maybe you just need to learn how.
    I believe you are only angry because I was against your recommendation. I made a simple analogy with my battleship remark and here you go saying I am having an ego trip.

Maybe you should try to sit down and take a deep breath before anything else.

If I intended to flame you, it would have been much clearer than that. I think you have seen examples in the past.

Anyway, back to the item on hand....

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if this is the case then boybi doesnt need to get a new system. I believe he already have a core 2 duo which freezes from time to time. You see there is a difference between running a program and running a system smoothly.
    Actually that is true. All he needs is another PC to play his games and other stuff with so he doesn't need to use the current PC used for the database.

As he mentioned, it only slows or freezes when he is playing games, etc on it.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    I have setup a home/office network with the PCs in my house and the office. My problem now is which computer should I put the company data file.

1. The computer in my bedroom is ON 24/7, which I think is the best candidate to host the company file. But whenever I'll go on a trip, I always turn OFF this PC and I lock the door of the room.

2. The office have 2 PCs, one is used by my wife but is seldomly turned ON, so this PC can't be used to host the file.

3. The other computer is for the secretary. This computer is turned ON when the secretary arrives and turned OFF when she leaves. This is a very old computer that I used for more than 6yrs already before I transferred it to the office. So I'm not sure if the file will be safe in this computer.

4. Should I add another computer to the office to act as a dedicated server to host the file?

I want the PC hosting the file to be ON 24/7 so I can access it anytime, even at home in my room. So which PC should host the company file?
    A new pc obviously. For me, I keep critical work/finance related stuff separate from my regular computers at home. The more self-contained,the better.

As what others have suggested, I'd go for a relatively low-end pc, preferably the low power draw, Intel Atom-based ones as GH has suggested.

The only exception from the low-end specs may be to get an SSD hard drive which should serve well for continuous 24-hour ops.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Setting up a 'server' PC