New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have setup a home/office network with the PCs in my house and the office. My problem now is which computer should I put the company data file.

1. The computer in my bedroom is ON 24/7, which I think is the best candidate to host the company file. But whenever I'll go on a trip, I always turn OFF this PC and I lock the door of the room.

2. The office have 2 PCs, one is used by my wife but is seldomly turned ON, so this PC can't be used to host the file.

3. The other computer is for the secretary. This computer is turned ON when the secretary arrives and turned OFF when she leaves. This is a very old computer that I used for more than 6yrs already before I transferred it to the office. So I'm not sure if the file will be safe in this computer.

4. Should I add another computer to the office to act as a dedicated server to host the file?

I want the PC hosting the file to be ON 24/7 so I can access it anytime, even at home in my room. So which PC should host the company file?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If all you need is to host a file or directory of files, you can opt to purchase a Network-Attached Storage (NAS). It's basically an external hard disk enclosure with a LAN/ethernet port. You just leave it on the network, independent of any desktop computers. Your data would be available for as long as the NAS and your network is up.

The initial investment is a bit steep (about 10-11k, including the hard disk) but it will save you on electricity costs in the long run, compared to running a desktop PC 24x7.

Below are a few models from the Villman site. I've seen these items on window display in V Mall and Cyberzone. You should hunt around to look for the best bargain. I would recommend though that you stay away from never-heard-of brands if you value reliability.

http://www.villman.com/Category/Netw...tached-Storage

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I don't have a home/office setup like you, but I do need a file server so for that, I use a headless PC. I get some savings on power costs and it's not as expensive as a NAS. Not sure if this will work for you though.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I can't use a NAS. The host PC should have the software installed for the company data file to be accessed by other computers.

What's a headless PC? A PC with no monitor?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    These might be off the usual suggestions.

BTW, how big are the files you need hosted? A few dozen gigabytes at most?

If you want something new, you can opt for an Asus EEE desktop PC (or similar offerings from other PC makers or even make your own low cost PC based on ITX or entry-level all-in-one ATX motherboards) without screen. You can use a KMV (keyboard/mouse/video) switch to use your existing PC's peripherals to access the system when needed. These PCs consume very little power as compared to regular desktop units.

Or if you have an extra old laptop not being used anymore, you can have the OS reinstalled (or upgraded) and configured for file server purposes.

A NAS is good if the data to be hosted is to be accessed within the LAN only. But if it needs to be accessed via WAN as well, it might not be the solution you would like to use.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    make your own low cost PC based on ITX or entry-level all-in-one ATX motherboards) without screen. You can use a KMV (keyboard/mouse/video) switch to use your existing PC's peripherals to access the system when needed.
    I like this idea. How do I use a KMV switch? Is this a hardware or software?

The file as of the moment is just around 20mb, for around 2 months of data. I don't know how big this will get after a few years of data.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    I like this idea. How do I use a KMV switch? Is this a hardware or software?
    Hardware. Usually the cheaper ones will switch between two PCs. I use one for my home setup and it's a space saver since I only need one monitor, keyboard and mouse to access two PCs.

The KVM device usually has a "hot-key" to switch between PCs... typically it's the scroll-lock key. Press twice to switch to next PC. Some KVMs also switch over sound and mic functions.

More basic KVM device is a mechanical switch but I don't recommend this type because of certain limitations and potential problems.

The file as of the moment is just around 20mb, for around 2 months of data. I don't know how big this will get after a few years of data.
    If that's the case, even a basic 80gig HDD is overkill.

If the home-office situation is for the long haul, you might as well invest into some new hardware to serve the purpose. A low power PC (like the EEE Desktop PC) would be the best solution.

It has no optical drive. But servers rarely need an optical drive beyond installing the OS. You can always use the LAN or a USB flash drive to install future software updates.

An off-the-wall alternative is to buy one of those early UMPCs with seven inch screens and 4 to 8 gig SDD/HDD like the Asus EEE PC 701. Add in a 16 to 32 gig USB flash drive or SDHD card for the data. The result is a small cheap low cost file server that has it's own power backup. Just disable the wifi feature for added security.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 3rd, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How much does the EEE Desktop PC cost?

Since the PC will be ON 24/7, I'm thinking of utilizing this PC for security camera hub. Can the EEE Desktop PC do this? Does it have extra PCI slots?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    How much does the EEE Desktop PC cost?

Since the PC will be ON 24/7, I'm thinking of utilizing this PC for security camera hub. Can the EEE Desktop PC do this? Does it have extra PCI slots?
    Unfortunately no extra PCI slots... as you can see from the picture of the unit I posted. It would handle IP cameras just fine but for regular security cams, you'll need other solutions.

If you want to use the same PC for security camera PVR work, might as well use a clone PC with a good switching/adaptive PSU (power supply unit).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is the Eee Desktop PC available locally? It's not in the website of Asus Ph.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Setting up a 'server' PC