New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.highring.com/

Highring (A.K.A Teen Buzz) is a ringtone that many adults are unable to hear. It originated in the U.K., where a device called the Mosquito was used to repel teenagers from congregating. The Mosqito works by emitting a very high-pitched noise, which would be very irritating to children and teenagers while being silent to adults. Eventually, teenagers figured out how to use the tone to their advantage as a ringtone that their teachers couldn't hear. It has recently made its way into the U.S. mainstream after being written about in an article on the front page of the New York Times (see "News Clips").

The ringtone is a sine wave at 14,400 hertz. It cannot be heard by many adults due to a condition called presbycusis, hearing loss as one ages. Whereas children, teenagers, and others can hear the high-pitched chirp clearly, many others can only hear it if they are exposed to it at a high volume or at short range. This makes the ringtone useful for teens to use to receive calls or text messages on their cell phones at times when adults should not be disturbed.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    parang yan din yung noise na narininig kapag may bukas na tv di ba?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there must be something wrong with me...

I CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THE SOUND....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_gilmore View Post
    there must be something wrong with me...

I CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THE SOUND....
    well, it's not 100% but the sound is also harder to hear if you are more than a few meters away... might be useful in certain situations.

BTW, on my N3230, the sound is distorted so it is not the same as if played on the PC's sound card.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 30th, 2006 at 12:49 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chieffy View Post
    parang yan din yung noise na narininig kapag may bukas na tv di ba?

exactly! i'm already in my late 30's and i could still hear it...must be a good sign for me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    something's wrong with my hearing, naririnig ko pa rin kahit tapos na yung sound. hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehe, saw this sa CNN a couple of months ago..

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i could hear the sound as well bata pa ako hehehe

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Damn, ang hina. I can hardly hear it over the incessant buzzing of the flourescent lights...

I'll try it on my phone...

Shyett!!! tumatanda na ako! At full volume, I can barely hear it over the background noise in the office at ten feet, (kailangan within five feet) but my officemates can hear it from twenty! Yung mga 40 year olds dito, di nila marinig... at all!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sa kin mas worse, ayaw mag-load ng page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A Ring Tone that only kids & teens can hear.