New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Additional question:

If I go higher than 120gb/128gb SSDs like 240gb or 256gb SSDs, does it mean that aside from more larger space 240/256gb SSDs run faster than their 120gb/128gb counter parts?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    This will be my first SSD and I will use it for my desktop PC and install principally for my OS (WIN7 Ultimate 64bit), Office 2010, and others and a few games such as (DOTA2) for my son...

Now, I'm down to two choices:

Sandisk [model Ultra Plus] 128GB for 4,400.00
    Crucial [M500] 120GB for 3,900.00

I can spare 500pesos if better talaga yung sandisk....pls need your advice po...
    I think they are almost the same. Personally I will be happy with either one. But will go with the ssandisk just for the addl 8gb.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Someone told me that 240/256GB SSDs are usually faster than the 120/128GB SSDs of the same series, especially with writes. But, if I don't need the capacity (size) [which I actually think I don't, having 1 TB HDD and 1 TB external drive] then the performance advantage of 240/256 SSDs won't be noticeable in daily use as against the 120/128SSD counterparts....

Thus, should I stick to my 120GB SSD planned purchase??? TIA

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Someone told me that 240/256GB SSDs are usually faster than the 120/128GB SSDs of the same series, especially with writes. But, if I don't need the capacity (size) [which I actually think I don't, having 1 TB HDD and 1 TB external drive] then the performance advantage of 240/256 SSDs won't be noticeable in daily use as against the 120/128SSD counterparts....

i think 64GB is slower than 128

but 128 and up should be pretty similar in speed

this has to do with the number of chips the controller can write to simultaneously. 64gb uses fewer chips so...

go ahead with your 120gb. this size is really quite sufficient. i've been using my samsung 120gb for more than 2 years now. and don't worry about SSD lifetime

as for crucial vs kingston, try to research on what chips and controller they use and base your decision from there.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007

Actually, those benchmark tests are synthetic results. In real world, hindi masyado noticeable ang difference, Siguro ganito, try to weigh in yun cost per GB ng 120/128 at 240/256GB. Kahit na sabihin natin na pure OS and program files lang sa 120GB, baka in the end mabitin din in case you need to install programs that consume big spaces.

Oh, kung Sandisk pala, why not look for the Extreme series of their SSD, kung meron.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    You won't feel a perceptible difference in speed. The jump from a 130mb/s sequential reads traditional hard drive to a 450mb/s solid-state is already apparent enough with the majority of those perceptible improvements coming from day-to-day seek time. So unless you absolutely crave that you want the best the consumer SSD has to offer or need something else -- like warranty support, I'll always recommend budget SSD over their more expensive counterparts because you get more size for a slight dent in speed.

The Extreme will be too expensive. That's roughly Samsung PRO SSD territory.

Stick with the 128GB. Unless you need the added space, 128GB is the sweet spot right now. And in the case you need a bigger capacity drive in the future, you can always purchase them once prices goes down over time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123