New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    depende sa lithography yung reliability ng SSD. 20nm die easily compared to the latest 22nm.

If you want combo you can try western digital black. SSD + HDD in one yun
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    What are the advantages of an SSD and is it really necessary? I shall use it to install my OS...I know that it can help boot-up and shut down PC faster...but aside from that what else

Now, if it is good to have one, please help me choose between the following:

1. 120GB Kingston for 4,250.00
    2. Sandisk 128GB for 4,400.00
    3. Crucial 120GB for 3,900.00
    4. Corsair 120GB for 4,800.00
    5. A-DATA 120GB for 3,900.00

I'm leaning towards Crucial and A-Data since both are the cheapest among them....TIA
    for personal use, i still think you would be better off in buying a 1TB traditional drive.
    SSD would work best for transactional computing.... since read and write speeds are faster.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    How about SSD for booting and pagefile. Then SATA for storage, like movies, mp3, etc. so you got the best of both world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Tried to do some research but I ended up more confused..maybe some site were pushing some brands against other brands...so I still do not know......hahaha... I do not know if I should rank my choices into this:
    Corsair>Sandisk>Crucial>Kingston>A-Data......pls help me here...tia
    It wouldn't matter. Benchmarks aren't absolute after all and they simply give you a theoretical picture on what it's like. You'd be spitting hairs trying to differentiate 500MB/s reads from 300MB/s reads using day-to-day activities such as opening your browser, etc. So unless you're trying to build a 5-second start-up machine, don't fret over the selections and just choose on price.

I do recommend you purchase from the bigger ones -- the ones that are vertically integrated is because it's the only way to survive in an environment that's quickly shifting into a commodity. Look at the traditional hard drives? How many of them are left? Western Digital and Seagate has duopolized more than 85% of the market.

The ones with the biggest economies of scale will survive and this will mainly be four brands: Sandisk, Samsung, Intel, and Crucial. Sandisk and Intel-Micron Crucial are one of the world's biggest NAND suppliers and readily supply OEM computer manufacturers. Intel-Micron has a reputation for being the SSD of choice of datacenters. Samsung, being the giant they are, isn't just one of the world's biggest NAND suppliers (they manufacture 40% of the world's NAND flash) but manufacture everything else from controllers, firmware, etc. in-house.

Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    a reliable data storage comapared to regular hdd which is prone to disk failure.
    Parang copy-paste lang sa Wikipedia. Contrary to popular opinion, SSDs can also fail. It's just the removal of "mechanical failure rates" means it's generally more reliable than platter-based hdds. And <5% disk failure rates globally isn't what we call "prone".
    Last edited by jhnkvn; February 17th, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    depende sa lithography yung reliability ng SSD. 20nm die easily compared to the latest 22nm.

If you want combo you can try western digital black. SSD + HDD in one yun
    WD Black^2 is still too expensive cost-wise to be a suitable replacement versus the usual SSD and a HDD. So unless you're stuck with a laptop with just a 2.5" HDD tray and nothing else, it's not a practical suggestion.

Second, the reliability of a SSD is the sum of its parts. Not just the NAND manufacturing process but also the NAND types (MLC, SLC, TLC, etc.) then there's the controller and firmwares.

*thread

Also, don't worry about read/write (PE) cycles. Your SSD, assuming it isn't defective, will probably outlive your expectations. Take example Samsung's "lower-endurance" TLC chips -- mean time before failure (MTBF) is rated at around 8 years with 50 GiB transfers per day. Most of us won't even hit 20GiBs in everyday use. And even if SMART says that "your time is up!", SSDs are surprisingly resilient often capable of exceeding their rated PE cycles by a surprising margin.

Trust me, if I was worried on hard drive life expectancy, I won't be using SSDs in an enterprise environment. However, I'm running them on our SAP/Application server replacing enterprise SAS drives (which are OP here in the Philippines BTW).

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i have a 15" macbook pro with traditional hdd and a macbook air with ssd. the pro has faster processor 2.2Ghz i7 compared to the Air's 1.8Ghz i7. they both have 8Gb RAM.

the pro takes longer to boot up and shutdown, and the apps takes longer to fire up compared to the macbook air. overall responsiveness is also better on the Air. i also don't need to shutdown my Air anymore for commuting since it has no moving parts.

so, yeah, i'll be upgrading my MBP to an SSD later this year.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    How about SSD for booting and pagefile. Then SATA for storage, like movies, mp3, etc. so you got the best of both world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for laptops i use mSATA SSD for OS + HDD for large videos

for desktops i use sata ssd for OS. sata hdd for large non-important files. SAS seagate cheetahs 15,000 rpm for important files

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I use SSD on my video editing desktop, 2x120GB Samsung 830 in RAID 0 configuration, where all the programs are stored. I have a separate 1TB WD Black HDD for storage, and 1 TB WD Blue as scratch disk for video editing. Sa laptop, just a plain 500GB 5400RPM traditional HDD.

Like what others said, kung gagamitin sa heavy tasks ang workstation, SSD is needed because of the speed it offers. Pero kung simpleng pang internet lang o pang excel, word, or not so heavy tasks, traditional HDD will do, pero dapat mga 7200RPM speed man lang.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Where are you going to put the SSD? Laptop or desktop? If laptop, chances are you have one drive bay and will need a bigger drive. 120gb is kinda small. If desktop, use the ssd as your boot drive and have your data on the traditional hdd.

I personally use a crucial M500 480gb ssd. The reason I chose crucial was cost and I only use one laptop. No desktop. So had to get the biggest ssd i can afford. Got it on sale during boxing week. Its fast. Very noticeable on boot up, shut down and opening programs. I just cloned my old hdd. Did not do a clean install bec I dont have an optical drive. Had I done a clean install, chances are it will perform better and faster.

An option is to get a Seagate hybrid drive. Its a traditional hdd with a small ssd that makes it perform faster than a normal hdd but less performance than ssd.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Where are you going to put the SSD? Laptop or desktop? If laptop, chances are you have one drive bay and will need a bigger drive. 120gb is kinda small. If desktop, use the ssd as your boot drive and have your data on the traditional hdd.

I personally use a crucial M500 480gb ssd. The reason I chose crucial was cost and I only use one laptop. No desktop. So had to get the biggest ssd i can afford. Got it on sale during boxing week. Its fast. Very noticeable on boot up, shut down and opening programs. I just cloned my old hdd. Did not do a clean install bec I dont have an optical drive. Had I done a clean install, chances are it will perform better and faster.

An option is to get a Seagate hybrid drive. Its a traditional hdd with a small ssd that makes it perform faster than a normal hdd but less performance than ssd.
    This will be my first SSD and I will use it for my desktop PC and install principally for my OS (WIN7 Ultimate 64bit), Office 2010, and others and a few games such as (DOTA2) for my son...

Now, I'm down to two choices:

Sandisk [model Ultra Plus] 128GB for 4,400.00
    Crucial [M500] 120GB for 3,900.00

I can spare 500pesos if better talaga yung sandisk....pls need your advice po...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast