New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    What are the advantages of an SSD and is it really necessary? I shall use it to install my OS...I know that it can help boot-up and shut down PC faster...but aside from that what else

Now, if it is good to have one, please help me choose between the following:

1. 120GB Kingston for 4,250.00
    2. Sandisk 128GB for 4,400.00
    3. Crucial 120GB for 3,900.00
    4. Corsair 120GB for 4,800.00
    5. A-DATA 120GB for 3,900.00

I'm leaning towards Crucial and A-Data since both are the cheapest among them....TIA

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    A simple google will answer your question and dont just consider the price, consider their read/write speeds also.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    A solid-state drive (SSD) (also known as a solid-state disk or electronic disk, though it contains no actual "disk" of any kind or motors to "drive" the disks) is a data storage device using integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives, thus permitting simple replacement in common applications. Also, new I/O interfaces like SATA Express are created to keep up with speed advancements in SSD technology.

Most of the advantages of solid-state drives over traditional hard drives are due to their ability to access data completely electronically instead of electromechanically, resulting in superior transfer speeds and mechanical ruggedness. On the other hand, hard disk drives offer significantly higher capacity for their price.

Source: Wikipedia

If I were you, I would pick the following in order: Corsair, Sandisk, Crucial and so on. You might want to add OCZ on your list. It has a good review. HTH

Sent from whatever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    What are the advantages of an SSD and is it really necessary? I shall use it to install my OS...I know that it can help boot-up and shut down PC faster...but aside from that what else

I'm leaning towards Crucial and A-Data since both are the cheapest among them....TIA
    The principal advantages of a SSD versus a traditional hard drive is that of speed. Everything you do is faster, shorter, and well... yeah.. faster.

I had the opportunity to buy SSD even at its market infancy -- ponying up 13,000php for 80GB. Ever since then, costs has gone down a lot to warrant it as an alternative to traditional hard drives. So.. is it necessary? I do believe they are if you want to address bottlenecks.

When we talk about market leaders, primarily it's just two: Samsung and Sandisk.

So what's the primary difference between cheapo SSDs versus their more expensive SSDs? Speed. Most "budget" SSDs will perform at 350MB/s versus 500MB/s. Will there be an impact? Yes -- in benchmarks. Is it worth it in real-life? Not really.

If you're still beginning your SSD journey, there's no harm in going for budget offerings. I will highly recommend either the Sandisk and Crucial M500 as your first tier, second tier will be Kingston V and ADATA SP900.

--

For those still in doubt,

I personally use two 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 on the home rig.
    Majority of our newer office PCs are on 60GB ADATA SP900 and on 64GB/128GB Sandisk.
    Our main server uses a bunch of Samsung PRO on RAID10 for their OS/Application drive.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; February 15th, 2014 at 02:58 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    How to buy an SSD

Sums up all you need.
    For brand preference, i like Samsung and if you have budget, intel.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    based on exp

i have a intel sata 3 which is 6 Gbit/sec na 240Gb HDD and i love it! 8~10 seconds windows 7 boot up, ultra fast sleep/wake up... no need to shutdown hehe... ayaw ko na bumalik sa conventional...

pero be aware na may downside din ang SSD which is limited write cycles...

and 120Gb??? bitin yan hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    a reliable data storage comapared to regular hdd which is prone to disk failure.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Get one asap. Single best upgrade you could ever make

Even 32gb is sufficient for a boot drive

Personally I have a 120gb Samsung

If ur laptop has msata slot get an msata ssd so u get to keep ur HDD for mass storage

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    A lot of reviews seems to say that Intel and Samsung are the more reliable SSDs.

I use an Intel 330 and 335 (60GB and 120GB, respectively).

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post

Tried to do some research but I ended up more confused..maybe some site were pushing some brands against other brands...so I still do not know......hahaha... I do not know if I should rank my choices into this:
    Corsair>Sandisk>Crucial>Kingston>A-Data......pls help me here...tia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast