New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    iie, im a graphic designer, your ryt, laptop screens are not accurate in colors, i'm planing to buy laptop so i can bring my work anywhere, i have desktop pc dun ko inaayos ung tamang color kasi un ung naka calibrate sa printer, laptop para sa presentation at editing lng ng mga flaws sa graphics. thanks.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    btw, mac is not an option for me, pls suggest other brands that have a good specs at a 80 - 90k price range. thanks.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    toshiba satellite and fujitsu lifebook.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i eventually decided to get an Asus A6Q model. specs are:
    - intel centrino duo tm2300
    - intel 945pm expess chipset
    - 15.4 wxga color shine lcd
    - 1 gb ddr2 ram
    - 100gb hdd (5400 rpm)
    - built in web camera 1.3 mpx
    - ati mobility radeon x1600 with 512mb ddr3 hypermemory

its got a great design, black-gray magnesium finish. its almost like the mac book pro in terms of specs, but almost half the price. specs are power-packed, see if it would be enough for your computing needs.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *Liz -

Links which might be helpful -

www.notebookreviews.com
    www.notebookforums.com

If you have US contacts or know someone (flight attendant?) who travels there often, you may want to consider having them buy it for you and bringing it over for a nominal fee. It will end up a lot cheaper. E.g. I bought a Fujitsu P7010 last year at $1700. Comparable model is being sold here for P120K. HongKong might be another source but I am not that familiar with prices there.

Most on-line sites such as dell, compusa, alienware also have regular sales or offer discount coupons (www.techbargains.com). The savings can be substantial. (e.g. We just bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 - Celeron 1.50, 512MB, 15.4", 40GB, 802.11b/g, DVD CDRW for only $499 including free shipping. Online coupon offered free upgrade to 15.4" and 512MB). Not bad for an entry level unit.

But one thing to watch out for are dead pixels. Resellers have different policies re this so you may want to inquire first. So far, we have been pretty lucky and most of the notebooks we have bought had perfect LCDs.

As for after-market support, most name brands hold up pretty well unless they are abused or mis-used. For popular models, even without an international warranty, you should be able to have them repaired locally.

Also, screen sizes have increased significantly lately. Recent models tend to have widescreen LCDs, with 15.4" being popular these days. There are also models with 17" and 19" screens. But these tend to be on the heavy side already. Depending on your editing requirements and presentation needs, you might want to find a compromise between LCD size and weight.

Lastly, depending on what type of graphics you do, some software are optimized for certain graphic chipsets. If this applies to you, you may want to take note of the specific chipset. If your graphic work consists primarily of static images (e.g. photoshop) and simple AVPs, then the amount of RAM (and video RAM) becomes more critical.

* Aceshark - Alienware offers discount coupons. Also, if you shop on-line and leave your item in the cart for 24 hours, you will receive an email offering another $50 discount.

* Nitrox - I just got 5672WLMs for my two sons. One is into 3D modeling and the other into computer forensics. Both are heavy into games. While these are good enough for 3D modeling, they tend to struggle with some new games. Specs include 2GB RAM and x1400 256MB. In hindsight, perhaps we should have upgraded to 512MB for the video. We got them at compusa for $1499 - less $150 rebate = $1359. No sales tax as we have a reseller permit.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    *Liz, we can help you to check the prices here in HK. Actually, we do buy Laptops for our friends/clients there in Manila.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how bout Sony Vaio VGN FE 550G?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rediesel
    how bout Sony Vaio VGN FE 550G?
    bro Rediesel, will reply you in due course. Need to check the price.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    bongliza, whats the price of : hp pavilion dv5102tx, acer aspire 5672wxmi and acer aspire 5562wxmi?
    you mentioned that you do buy laptops there for your friends here in the philippines, what's the setup? how?

and what is this dead pixels?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bongliza
    bro Rediesel, will reply you in due course. Need to check the price.
    bro, youve got pm.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
nid ur opinion on laptop