New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnald
    eto yung Israeli Kfir jets na napropose noon. when I read on the news, hinintay ko na dumating. Instead, what we got were the italian made S211 trainer jets which as of last count, tatlong beses na yata nag-crash.

ang isa pang nabalitaan ko sa news, inoffer daw ng Russia yung Fulcrum mig29 sa Pinas. This was after the "perestroika"/glasnost revolution in Russia nung panahon ni Gorbachev. obviously, di rin natuloy

IMHO, we need a decent jet fighter force. kahit isang squadron man lang. lalo na't meron tayong border dispute sa spratlys. wala man lang tayong border patrol makapag fly-by patrol dun sa areas na yun. Considering na ang laki ng archipelago natin, we need a decent air force that could at least conduct quick patrol runs.

Yep, I heard about that offer from Russia. They were interested in our agri products, I think. Yes, we need a decent and credible air defense system with jets at the forefront since they can respond to threats faster than ships can.

Yung navy natin can do with Fast Patrol Craft or those hydrofoil-based patrol ships since we're more concerned with piracy and smuggling.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    OT: F5 yung Batplane ni Batman nung 70's

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Blackhawks are too expensive, IMHO. Westland Lynx or Aerospiatle products would serve our needs just as well, without the extra cost.

Hydrofoils or some of those new British light craft would do nicely for our Navy. Frigates are just plain useless for fighting smugglers and pirates.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    whew! ang dami palang military hardware enthusiasts sa tsikot hehe

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Northrop makes some excellent aircraft, but they have been unfairly beaten at competitions for USAF contracts for two of their recent developments, the F20 Tigershark and the F23 fighter (Lockheed won with the F22).
    If you think the ATF competition was unfair, mas matindi yung competition sa JSF, which Lockheed won again. The stakes were a lot bigger, as the Joint Strike Fighter winner will equip the USAF, USN, USMC, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force with a projected total of 6,000 planes in 40 years. Winner takes all, ika nga. The JSF plane has one distinct feature in addition to the ATF winner, the F/A-22 Raptor ... Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing (V/STOL)

I saw the program, nung competition between Lockheed's X-35 and Boeing's X-32. Lockheed's X-35 won because it delivered the required performances on time. The clincher was the V/STOL ... at the deadline, the X-35 can go from supersonic to V/STOL and vice versa, during the same flight. Boeing's X-32 was not able to do that without landing and modifying the plane.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    nawala na talaga yung modernization program ng afp. ang namodernize lang e yung mga bahay at kotse ng mga heneral. tsk tsk

7. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    maka add na rin

how about a harrier jump jet for us? VTOL which is suitable sa insurgents. Kaya lang one issue is flyability, ive read that its very difficult to fly. and also the issue of parts and maintainance since luma na rin ang mga ito. May russian equivalent ata ito (YAK ata yung NATO name). Pero in my opinion we really need to maintain at least a squadron of supersonic fighter. Kaso nga lang medyo monopolize tayo ng kano in terms of aquiring military hardware. Why not look into india and china where they have developed indegenous jet fighters? Also we need to develop our helicopter gunship fleet since eto talaga yung workhorse ng airforce natin ngayon (against insurgents) and dual purpose pa pag may calamity. Talagang aging na yung mga UH1 natin.

Sayang pa naman ang galing ng pilotong filipino, marami tayong piloto problema yung paliliparin

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix
    If you think the ATF competition was unfair, mas matindi yung competition sa JSF, which Lockheed won again. The stakes were a lot bigger, as the Joint Strike Fighter winner will equip the USAF, USN, USMC, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force with a projected total of 6,000 planes in 40 years. Winner takes all, ika nga. The JSF plane has one distinct feature in addition to the ATF winner, the F/A-22 Raptor ... Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing (V/STOL)

I saw the program, nung competition between Lockheed's X-35 and Boeing's X-32. Lockheed's X-35 won because it delivered the required performances on time. The clincher was the V/STOL ... at the deadline, the X-35 can go from supersonic to V/STOL and vice versa, during the same flight. Boeing's X-32 was not able to do that without landing and modifying the plane.
    Actually, I do like the ATF winner, but the F-23 was arguably the stealthier, more sophisticated and more modern aircraft. The F22 won on good looks and dogfighting ability. Basically, it appealed to the little boy in the generals who were judging the aircraft. :lol:

Yung unfair was the F20 - F16 competition. The F20 was built for ultra-quick response time (if they were stationed near New York, they could have theoretically been scrambled to the WTC site ten to fifteen minutes earlier than F16s) and, being based on the F5, would have been a devastatingly good dogfighter.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    It is not the big ass frigates I'm talking about brother but the smaller ones like missile-equipped FFG 7 - class. It will be use for support and rescue(heli-pad equipped) since we don't have one. The navy is currently using a transport ship for its support and rescue duties. Fast attack missile boat will handle the pirates.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    with a single cruise missile costing $5M....
    the whole "missile" bit seems to ring a bit hollow.

i think it was casper weinberger who said that the nuclear device costs much less than its delivery system..

meaning, missiles are extremely expensive. and as for patrol boats.. heck we can't even maintain the three peacock-class patrol boats that we purchased from the royal hong kong squadron in 1997. i believe two of them are already non-functional.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Military Hardware Thread [Split]