New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How can I measure the water pressure of water coming out of the windshield washer nozzle of my car. Or at least the water pressure on the rubber hose that leads to it.

I need a practical and inexpensive method sana. No experience with this thing. Thank you.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    How can I measure the water pressure of water coming out of the windshield washer nozzle of my car. Or at least the water pressure on the rubber hose that leads to it.

I need a practical and inexpensive method sana. No experience with this thing. Thank you.
    I assume you are going to measure static pressure?

Simplest is to see how high the water goes up in the hose. But you will need to extend the hose by a longer length. The hose must be vertically installed.

Basically this will give you a measure of the pressure head. You can directly measure in inches, feet, yards, cm, meters, cubits, etc.

With the water pump running, see how high the water reaches until it stops by it's own weight. And then measure the vertical rise from the level of the pump to the point where the water stops rising in the tube.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I need to measure line pressure as the thing is squirting full blast. When I pull back on the washer switch, I need to see how much pressure the washer pump will be making to drive the water.

Are we talking about the same thing? Sorry, I really suck at math.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I need to measure line pressure as the thing is squirting full blast. When I pull back on the washer switch, I need to see how much pressure the washer pump will be making to drive the water.

Are we talking about the same thing? Sorry, I really suck at math.
    yup, we are talking about the same thing.

we are talking about water pressure in a pipe. That can be measured as "head" or how high it can go up vertically

The higher the pressure, the higher in the pipe it will go before it stops.

It is the same way measured for water pumps used in fish tanks and water pond decor pumps as well as water pumps fpr home or commercial use.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would suggest as a rule of thumb to remember that one atmosphere (14.7 psi) is capable of shooting water upwards to 34 feet.

So every psi that a pump would produce will shoot water 2.31 feet upwards (nearly 28 inches).

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    yup, we are talking about the same thing.

we are talking about water pressure in a pipe. That can be measured as "head" or how high it can go up vertically

The higher the pressure, the higher in the pipe it will go before it stops.

It is the same way measured for water pumps used in fish tanks and water pond decor pumps as well as water pumps fpr home or commercial use.
    sir ghosthunter are you a mechanical engineer?

just follow ghosthunters instructions. and if you want the near accurate pressure, you must also deduct to the "head" the normal level (inch,cm,mm) of the water/washer in the reservoir with bottom of the reservoir as the datum.

just use one of the below formulas to convert "head" to pressure.

p = 0.434 X h X SG

where
    p = pressure (psi)
    h = head (ft)
    SG = specific gravity (1 for water)

or

p = 0.0981 X h X SG

where
    h = head (m)
    p = pressure (bar)

or

p = 0.1 X h X SG

where
    h = head (m)
    p = pressure (kg/cm2)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    *Doc, para saan po eto? sowi nahilo na po ako sa formula hehehehe!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by normanenoza View Post
    sir ghosthunter are you a mechanical engineer?
    yes.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I got dizzy also. hehehe.

Wala bang gauge na pwede na lang ikabit?

Now I'm pretty sure I don't regret taking up engineering.

It's just for one of our office stuff.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Zero "gauge pressure" ang masusukat nyo kung hayaan lang bumuga yung tubig sa noozle. Kailangan takpan yung noozle at paandarin yung pump para makita yung pressure, at ang pressure reading ay lalabas na tugma dun sa formula kapag sinukat nyo lamang yung height ng buga kapag bukas ang noozle.

Lalo yata nakalito usapan.

Ibig sabihin, sukatin nyo na lamang ang height (h, in feet) nung buga ng tubig. Gamitin ang formula ni norman ( p = 0.434 X h) para makuha yung pressure (in psi).

Ngayon, kung mayroon na kayong pressure gauge na nakakabit sa noozle, makakasukat lamang ito ng pressure kung sarado ang noozle at paandarin ang pump, at ang lalabas na reading ay yung resulta ng formula. Kapag binuksan ang noozle at hayaan sumirit ang tubig, ang lalabas na reading ng pressure gauge ay zero.

Sana malinaw na yan.

[SIZE="1"]pero palagay ko lito pa rin lols[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Measuring Water Pressure