New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    dunno why this is even an issue

the global economy runs on carbon (oil, coal, natgas, whatever)

electric cars barely make a dent in lessening global burning of carbon

ocean freight -- those ships that carry container vans from port to port, you gonna put electric motors on them?

airliners -- you gonna power them with solar panels and electric motors?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    electric cars will be the death of oil?

don't believe the hype

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ocean freight -- those ships that carry container vans from port to port, you gonna put electric motors on them?
    There are modern ships whose engine is partly electric (like the Prius)
    Some has an ICE which generates electricity which powers the electric motor
    And there are some who are now running on LNG (still ICE but cleaner)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    There are modern ships whose engine is partly electric (like the Prius)
    Some has an ICE which generates electricity which powers the electric motor
    And there are some who are now running on LNG (still ICE but cleaner)
    the generators that power the electric motors that make the ships go run on carbon fuel

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    let me rephrase this:

ocean freight -- those ships that carry container vans from port to port, you gonna put Li-ion batteries and electric motors on them?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    dunno why this is even an issue

the global economy runs on carbon (oil, coal, natgas, whatever)

electric cars barely make a dent in lessening global burning of carbon

airliners -- you gonna power them with solar panels and electric motors?

global economy runs on oil coz it's the cheapest energy. unfortunately this cheapest energy is also harmful

fortunately solar+batteries keep getting cheaper. while oil gets harder and more expensive to get. guess what'll happen when they intersect

the transition isnt' going to happen overnight so don't worry too much LOL

airliners. check out the airbus electric called e-fan i think. simple and reliable electric motor. i guess you already know how complex and super-high-maintenance the jet engines are electric cars and planes operate with the same laws of physics, so why do you think electric planes aren't going to work? soon we'll start seeing cheap short-haul flights because these electric planes are going to be very cheap to operate

ocean freight. did you know that just the few numbers of those large ships account for a very large percentage of the world's pollution? and you wanna continue using them just because they're cheap

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    global economy runs on oil coz it's the cheapest energy. unfortunately this cheapest energy is also harmful

fortunately solar+batteries keep getting cheaper. while oil gets harder and more expensive to get. guess what'll happen when they intersect

the transition isnt' going to happen overnight so don't worry too much LOL

airliners. check out the airbus electric called e-fan i think. simple and reliable electric motor. i guess you already know how complex and super-high-maintenance the jet engines are electric cars and planes operate with the same laws of physics, so why do you think electric planes aren't going to work? soon we'll start seeing cheap short-haul flights because these electric planes are going to be very cheap to operate

ocean freight. did you know that just the few numbers of those large ships account for a very large percentage of the world's pollution? and you wanna continue using them just because they're cheap
    i know how harmful burning carbon is

me page 1
    it took billions of years for plants to take enough carbon from the atmosphere to make Earth liveable for us

for the past 300 years we've been burning dead plants and releasing the carbon they trapped
    as trapped carbon is put back into the atmosphere, the earth's climate will go back to what it was before earth was habitable for humans

during this change in climate, life will become harder

wars will be fought over water and food

it's gonna be ugly
    Last edited by uls; September 22nd, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Maybe the engine won't be replaced but the source of fuel. Heard about those algae that produces fuel in their poop.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    but still burning organic matter

corn and sugar cane ethanol and other biomass

cooking oil diesel etc

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    but still burning organic matter

corn and sugar cane ethanol and other biomass

cooking oil diesel etc
    pero renewables are carbon neutral. it does not add more carbon to the atmosphere as what the plants it came from absorbed from the air.

ships? yeah no way. mas malaki/mabigat pa battery kesa sa cargo.

planes? again, the weight of batteries and motors. also those turbines are very reliable. have not heard of any turbine engines on planes giving up in mid flight for the longest time. and you want to replace them with electric? how many kw is one 777 engine? na google ko na, 110,000 hp. HOW BIG AND HOW HEAVY DO YOU THINK A 110,000 HP ELECTRIC MOTOR IS? naaaaaah, it won't fly. baka ni hindi gumalaw yan ng walang humihila hahaha!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
I don't think electric cars will ever replace internal combustion engines