New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    I agree with you, the 2 blue wires denote they are the same wire connecting the 2 batteries in series.
    arent the batteries connected to the charger? or yan blue cables connected sa load side?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    arent the batteries connected to the charger? or yan blue cables connected sa load side?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    The charger is build in, the wires come through an opening in the each compartment,
    I can't see where the other ends of the wires are connected to.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The charger is build in, the wires come through an opening in the each compartment,
    I can't see where the other ends of the wires are connected to.
    There's an easy way to find out which is which with a digital voltmeter/tester.

CAUTION: DO NOT attempt this if you're uncomfortable doing it. I won't be liable for any damage or injury that may come out as a result. Do this at your own risk.

1. Remove all batteries and make sure none of the disconnected wires are touching each other or any conducting surface
    2. Are the two batteries identical? What is the nominal voltage of each battery (check the markings)
    3. Set the tester for voltage measurement in the 0-100V DC range (if it's not an auto-ranging model)
    4. Again, make sure that none of the battery wires are touching each other and plug the fan's power cord into a 220V AC source
    5. Put the RED probe on the RED wire and the BLACK probe on the BLACK wire
    6. Note the DC voltage readout and check if there's a negative (-) sign in front of the readout
    7. Disconnect the AC power
    8. Set the tester for continuity mode testing
    9. Put the RED probe in one end of the BLUE wire and the BLACK probe on the other end of the BLUE wire and note the tester's beahvior

In summary:
    1. Is the voltage detected in Step 6 a positive number that is approximately TWICE the nominal voltage of one (1) battery (taken from Step 2)?
    2. Did the tester indicated a short circuit or started beeping on Step 9?

If the answers to both questions are YES, then the diagram I provided in Post 2 shows the correct battery orientation.

-------(red wire)-------------(+)[Battery 1](-)----- (blue wire)-----(+)[Battery 2](-)-------------(black wire)---------

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Or if you are not techie enough to tinker the wires, you may just drop-by any Ace Hardware and check the same model of fan, ask the salesman to open the battery compartment for inspection pretending to be comparing units, then take a pic.

Last resort would be the service center, i think there is one near SM Manila besides Andoks.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "how much is a new one?"

6. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    There's an easy way to find out which is which with a digital voltmeter/tester.

CAUTION: DO NOT attempt this if you're uncomfortable doing it. I won't be liable for any damage or injury that may come out as a result. Do this at your own risk.

1. Remove all batteries and make sure none of the disconnected wires are touching each other or any conducting surface
    2. Are the two batteries identical? What is the nominal voltage of each battery (check the markings)
    3. Set the tester for voltage measurement in the 0-100V DC range (if it's not an auto-ranging model)
    4. Again, make sure that none of the battery wires are touching each other and plug the fan's power cord into a 220V AC source
    5. Put the RED probe on the RED wire and the BLACK probe on the BLACK wire
    6. Note the DC voltage readout and check if there's a negative (-) sign in front of the readout
    7. Disconnect the AC power
    8. Set the tester for continuity mode testing
    9. Put the RED probe in one end of the BLUE wire and the BLACK probe on the other end of the BLUE wire and note the tester's beahvior

In summary:
    1. Is the voltage detected in Step 6 a positive number that is approximately TWICE the nominal voltage of one (1) battery (taken from Step 2)?
    2. Did the tester indicated a short circuit or started beeping on Step 9?

If the answers to both questions are YES, then the diagram I provided in Post 2 shows the correct battery orientation.

-------(red wire)-------------(+)[Battery 1](-)----- (blue wire)-----(+)[Battery 2](-)-------------(black wire)---------
    You are correct.

Step 6: readout = 14.5v
    Battery Spec.:
    Constant voltage charge. Cycle use:7.25-7.45v. Standby use :6.5-6.9v.
    The charger charges 2 batteries in series.

Step 9:
    The tester was bleeping showing the 2 blue wires are the ends of a same wire.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    "how much is a new one?"
    I bought it during sales in Ace Hardware in March 2016, it costed me P2785.

I used the fan several times only, and I have noticed the batteries did not keep charge as long as other same type battery, until 3-4 days ago, I charged the fan again, and I found the batteries were dead.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Or if you are not techie enough to tinker the wires, you may just drop-by any Ace Hardware and check the same model of fan, ask the salesman to open the battery compartment for inspection pretending to be comparing units, then take a pic.

Last resort would be the service center, i think there is one near SM Manila besides Andoks.
    Ace Hardware is not selling the fan any more. it seems Firefly has stop production.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I bought it during sales in Ace Hardware in March 2016, it costed me P2785.

I used the fan several times only, and I have noticed the batteries did not keep charge as long as other same type battery, until 3-4 days ago, I charged the fan again, and I found the batteries were dead.
    aha!
    in that case, follow oj's reply in #2. it's probably what you want.
    btw, sealed lead-acid battery yan, 'no?
    i have a similar unit but different brand, in the house somewhere. i distruncated it because i wanted to replace the already-dead batteries. but i can't seem to find the correct size. "imported kasi".
    ah well...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    aha!
    in that case, follow oj's reply in #2. it's probably what you want.
    btw, sealed lead-acid battery yan, 'no?
    i have a similar unit but different brand, in the house somewhere. i distruncated it because i wanted to replace the already-dead batteries. but i can't seem to find the correct size. "imported kasi".
    ah well...
    My fan uses two 6V 4.5AH lead acid batteries, but the battery is always out of stock in Ace Hardware and Handyman.

I noted recently, the manufacturers are fond of using uncommon size batteries in their products, you can never find a replacement in the shops, it seems the manufacturers are using this method to push people to buy a new device when the battery is dead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast