New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    I have a Firefly AC/DC electric Fan, Model FEL 631, I have disconnected the wires from the batteries without noting their polarities.

I understand that connecting the batteries wrongly will burn the circuit.

Would someone who has this electric fan please advise me which terminals of the batteries the wires shall be connected to.

it has 2 battery compartments, one has a blue wire and a red wire, the other has a blue wire and a black wire.
    Last edited by bigT; January 17th, 2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Description added because unable to upload pictures

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Here's an educated guess:

-------(red wire)-------------(+)[Battery 1](-)----- (blue wire)-----(+)[Battery 2](-)-------------(black wire)---------

3. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Here's an educated guess:

-------(red wire)-------------(+)[Battery 1](-)----- (blue wire)-----(+)[Battery 2](-)-------------(black wire)---------
    Your guess is reasonable.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Aren't DC motors capable of turning in either direction? The polarity is there only to turn it in the right direction (e.g. for electric fan to blow air towards us, for toya cras to move forward).

It won't be toasted in reverse polarity, AFAIK. It will just turn in the wrong direction.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post
    I have a Firefly AC/DC electric Fan, Model FEL 631, I have disconnected the wires from the batteries without noting their polarities.

Would someone who has this electric fan please advise me which terminals of the batteries the wires shall be connected to.

it has 2 battery compartments, one has a blue wire and a red wire, the other has a blue wire and a black wire.
    if you say there are 2 battery compartments, that means there are also two batteries... and this also means that these batteries are in series (based on your description), now connect the red wire to the positive terminal of the first battery, then connect the black wire to the negative terminal of the second batery, that leaves you the negative terminal of the first battery and the positive terminal of the second battery without wires right? you now connect the blue wire to the negative terminal of the first battery and connect the other end of this wire to the positive of the second battery, there you go...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    Aren't DC motors capable of turning in either direction? The polarity is there only to turn it in the right direction (e.g. for electric fan to blow air towards us, for toya cras to move forward).

It won't be toasted in reverse polarity, AFAIK. It will just turn in the wrong direction.
    That may be true if we're just talking about a simple circuit involving a battery and a DC motor. But you must not forget that the portable fan in question also has a built-in charger. Connecting the batteries the wrong way, lead-acid batteries no less, could damage the charging circuit or may in fact, hurt someone. If it does not blow up the charging circuit immediately, applying power through the AC plug with the batteries reversed will certainly fry something.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

errr... might i inquire,
    why did you distruncate it, sir?
    i mean, it's not easy to even open that appliance in the first place. i've done it myself in the past.

but if all you did, was to open the battery compartments and disconnected the wires from there, i think oj's diagram is correct.
    Last edited by dr. d; January 18th, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009

A picture would greatly help esp the printed circuit board where the wires connect and the electronic components are soldered.

I have similar fan but brand is Akari, single 6V 4Ah VRLA bat, could be similar in design.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post

What oj88 wrote in #6 is true, I had, once, connected the wires of an emergency light to the wrong polarities of the the battery, the wires immediately became very hot and melted the plastic cover, some part also became hot emitting a strong odour.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That may be true if we're just talking about a simple circuit involving a battery and a DC motor. But you must not forget that the portable fan in question also has a built-in charger. Connecting the batteries the wrong way, lead-acid batteries no less, could damage the charging circuit or may in fact, hurt someone. If it does not blow up the charging circuit immediately, applying power through the AC plug with the batteries reversed will certainly fry something.
    I agree with you, the colour of the 2 blue wires denotes they are the ends of the same wire connecting the 2 batteries in series.

Note:
    I made a mistake, I should quote box-type's answer,#5.
    Last edited by bigT; January 18th, 2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Note added,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast