Please help me choose a phone that will meet my particular needs.

I've been a Nokia user since the 90s. In all honesty, I really do not want to switch to a smart phone. But it seems like circumstances are forcing me to make the switch ie friends and relatives abroad whom I could communicate with using viber. There are a lot of applications that I just can't get from my Nokia phone.

I do not want to get a data plan and won't be availing of Globe's promos. I rarely connect to the internet using my phone anyway. But my friends are telling me that it is necessary for me to get a plan if I'm getting a smart phone? Is this really the case because I do not wanna spend an extra 1k on my plan just for this. SC ba?

I have not done any research on any of these phones because I don't wanna get into "analysis paralysis" I'll just rely on the expertise of the members of this forum. After all, this is how I decided on what laptop to buy anyway. I have no idea how much these phones cost. I intend to use this for a minimum of 5 years. My Nokia 3310 is more than 10 yrs old so my expectations for a phone are very high I don't suppose that is the case with touchscreen technology? What is the average lifespan of these phones? I have never owned a touchscreen gadget of any kind. I have been avoiding the touchscreen technology in all honesty, but I guess it's time.

These are the feedback that I got:

Iphone:
Sturdier or more durable than the Galaxy
Faster response and no hanging
More expensive

Galaxy
Apps are for free, more flexibility
Battery/parts can be replaced
Bigger screen

My dilemma is I've only owned one Apple device, an Ipod classic which I was so so about and rarely use. I'm really not an Apple person, my Mom offered to buy me an ipad or iphone which I refused because I did not want to get sucked into the Apple ecosystem. But all my friends are telling me that the Iphone will last me a long time if I wanted to compared to Samsung. But what I like about Samsung is it's Android and the apps are free. I'm really a pc person. I want my flexibility. The problem daw with Apple, everything is so controlled and synchronised with their technology and since I have no plans of buying a macbook, ipad and I rarely use my ipod, will I be getting the best out of the Iphone considering these?