New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Notice when a product of Apple Inc, falls short of the market's expectation for it (in terms of certain features, reliability, etc) suddenly rumor begin to spread that a next gen (or an improvement) will follow quickly a few months after a new products release.

ie. Iphone 4 antennagate ---> rumor of a redesigned Iphone 4 or even a Iphone 5 to be released by Dec. 2010. Turns out to be a dud.

Now its the Ipad 2's turn. Apple disappointed many when they failed to upgrade the screen to a higher res. So those disappointed are now dreaming of something better and so the rumor starts to swirl....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Heard from the grapevine (good resource) that Ipad will drop their Ipad 1 prices as much as US$100.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy
    Heard from the grapevine (good resource) that Ipad will drop their Ipad 1 prices as much as US$100.
    It's not a rumor bro. It's on the Apple website (see link below)
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NDc1NzM

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/a...-start-at-399/

Apple slashes original iPad price to $399, iPad 2 not up for pre-order yet
    By Laura June posted Mar 2nd 2011 1:25PM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTcyMTg1MDA

Steve Jobs told us earlier that the new iPad pricing will stay exactly the same as the original iPad -- meaning a base price of $499 for the 16GB WiFi version. Well, even though you can't get an iPad 2 until March 11th (nor can you even pre-order it yet), Apple is already putting the original models on sale. Right now you can grab up that base model, 16GB WiFi only iPad for $399, with prices ranging up to $729 for the 64GB 3G model. Moreover, you can also snatch a refurbished one for a starting price of $349. If you're in the market for yesterday's model, now is certainly the time to grab one.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    On location services, does anyone have a definitive answer on how it EXACTLY works on the WiFi-only iPads?

The Apple faq states that it gets location information whenever it is connected via WiFi. What I don't understand is that all of the AP my iPad asociates to does not have location information stored in them (at home, office, or even in a friend's home). Yet, my iPad shows exactly where it is on the map, everytime, down to several meters, and even while indoors.

I know that AGPS requires location information from cellsites to triangulate a device's approximate location. But in the WiFi-only iPad, it is implied that it does not have a GSM radio to do this.

I have a hunch, though. The WiFi-only model may still have a GSM radio that is hardwired to only get location information from cellsites and then use AGPS (through the help of the Internet over WiFi) to work out its location. Other functions inherent to GSM like being able to insert a SIM or make a call/text are most likely not included or permanently disabled. Then again, this is just a hunch. Anybody with a better explanation?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    On location services, does anyone have a definitive answer on how it EXACTLY works on the WiFi-only iPads?

The Apple faq states that it gets location information whenever it is connected via WiFi. What I don't understand is that all of the AP my iPad asociates to does not have location information stored in them (at home, office, or even in a friend's home). Yet, my iPad shows exactly where it is on the map, everytime, down to several meters, and even while indoors.

I know that AGPS requires location information from cellsites to triangulate a device's approximate location. But in the WiFi-only iPad, it is implied that it does not have a GSM radio to do this.

I have a hunch, though. The WiFi-only model may still have a GSM radio that is hardwired to only get location information from cellsites and then use AGPS (through the help of the Internet over WiFi) to work out its location. Other functions inherent to GSM like being able to insert a SIM or make a call/text are most likely not included or permanently disabled. Then again, this is just a hunch. Anybody with a better explanation?
    hahah. you're over thinking this. you can look for sources online instead of doing guess-work.

iPad uses Skyhook which uses fancy math (trilateration) for figuring out your location. It can use wifi signals to do this even when you have no active internet connection.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    hahah. you're over thinking this. you can look for sources online instead of doing guess-work.

iPad uses Skyhook which uses fancy math (trilateration) for figuring out your location. It can use wifi signals to do this even when you have no active internet connection.

I am somewhat familiar with skyhook. But unless I missed something, i still can't wrap my mind around how skyhook or apple's location database would know where my access points are at any point in time. In order for my location to be known, measurements are computed based on known reference points. My APs are hardly reference points. How would skyhook, et al, know about my AP if it's not using the service, let alone, ,know its exact location?
    Last edited by oj88; March 9th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Skyhook is essentially a database of known WiFi points and their addresses that supplies the technology behind non-GPS Location Services on the iDevices.

Skyhook's database is gathered through wardriving, and includes more than 250 million wi-fi access points and covers 70 percent of population centers in the United States, Canada, Western Europe and selected Asian countries.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Are there any threads here where I can post my Ipad up for sale? Can't seem to find the Marketplace section.

Help Guys!

Thanks

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    iPad 2 starts selling tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/PowerMacCenter

Apple IPAD thread