New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Antivirus Tools Underperform When Tested in LinuxWorld 'Fight Club'
    In LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thrown at them

AUGUST 9, 2007 | Oh, antivirus products. They're a commodity item, right? They're all pretty much the same.

Wrong, according to a live test of antivirus products for Linux conducted last night at the LinuxWorld event in San Francisco.

In an antivirus "fight club" conducted in front of an audience by network gateway vendor Untangle at the show, 10 antivirus products were confronted with 25 viruses, many submitted by members of the audience. The goal: to see whether the AV tools would catch 'em all.

The results: Only three of the antivirus tools caught and blocked all 25 viruses thrown at them. One tool caught fewer than 10 percent.

"What's surprising about a test like this is how much difference there is between the antivirus products' performance," says Dirk Morris, CTO and co-founder of Untangle. "Some of the products you think will do well don't, and some of the lesser-known products, like open source tools, end up doing well."

The "winners" in last night's contest were Linux tools from Kaspersky and Symantec, and the open source Clam AV. All three tools caught 100 percent of the viruses they encountered. FProt and Sophos caught 94 percent; McAfee caught 89 percent; and GlobalHauri, Fortinet, and SonicWall caught 61 percent.

One product, WatchGuard's Linux AV tool, caught fewer than 6 percent of the viruses sent to it. "We're not exactly sure what the problem with WatchGuard is," says Morris. "The test was set up the same way for all of the vendors."

WatchGuard disputes the test results, stating that it uses ClamAV -- one of the products that caught all of the viruses -- in its own product. "We don't see how the results could be valid -- our product uses ClamAV," a spokesman says.

Untangle first conducted the AV "fight club" two years ago, when it was trying to decide which AV tool to include in its network gateway, which offers a variety of security and network performance tools. "It's a simple test," Morris says. "We just wanted to see which tools worked best."
    ClamAV, an open source product, finished at the top of that first test, just as it did last night, and Untangle chose to use the open source product in its gateway. "Open source AV products often get overlooked because they aren't very well marketed," Morris observes. "When we looked at ClamAV's Website a couple of years ago, it was really bad. But the product itself works as well or better than the most expensive tools out there."

For last night's test, Untangle accepted viruses submitted by audience members and other interested parties, and its test set is available online. No zero-day exploits were included. "Most of these are everyday viruses. Some of them have been around for years," Morris says. "These are all things that an antivirus tool should catch."

— Tim Wilson, Site Editor, Dark Reading
    I've been using ClamWin AV for quite sometime now

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    First and foremost, most of them are all marketing gimmicks . . .

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    so what is a good AV program? right now i'm using avast, and it has caught a few viruses, embedded in emails and documents.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    for over a year now hindi na ako updated sa new anti-virus updates and even new viruses/trojans/worms.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    so what is a good AV program? right now i'm using avast, and it has caught a few viruses, embedded in emails and documents.
    NOD32 and the Kaspersky AV Suites are really good. Medyo mahal nga lang. Bitdefender's (just a tiny bit) less responsive to new threats lately but it's still very effective and it's relatively cheap too.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    The article was about AV Tools for Linux right? Iba kaya performance nung mga Windows versions nila?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post

Avast wasn't as good for my shop. A number got through and infected the systems. I am currently using AVG. Thats for my shop, office and home PCs
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 11th, 2007 at 10:14 AM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've been using Avast for the past year. It detected some viruses that AVG failed to detect, that's why I switched to Avast.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    avast then ako, tagal 3 years na ata gumagamit neto...

avg are good in internet cafes, may program kasi to restore settings to original state/settings pag nerestart ang pc...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just use AVG(free) and Symantec Enterprise edition(no expiration hehe) together in my PC. I heard NOD32 is one of the best AVs right now, plus the application is lightweight...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
are all anti-virus the same? Here's your answer