New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,139
    #11
    We have a lot of air coolers at home and in church. They're ok when used in the open or semi-open venue. But inside a room, it's worse than just using a fan.

    And even if used outdoors, it is only effective when it's hot and the air has little humidity to start with. Otherwise, the air becomes stuffy and your skin becomes as sticky as a flytrap.

  2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,105
    #12
    In short, just get an aircon for no-hassles cooling.

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    We have a lot of air coolers at home and in church. They're ok when used in the open or semi-open venue. But inside a room, it's worse than just using a fan.

    And even if used outdoors, it is only effective when it's hot and the air has little humidity to start with. Otherwise, the air becomes stuffy and your skin becomes as sticky as a flytrap.
    Evaporative air coolers are meant to be used with a steady exchange of air from inside to outside. This is to control the humidity of the room.

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-V View Post
    planning to buy one for the living room, what brand would you recommend?

    btw lto main office at east ave vehicle inspection office waiting area (open air) does have one. imho its better than industrial electric fans.
    If you like industrial designs... the units with the IWATA brand does the job but doesn't look pretty.

    There is a company by the name of COLLENT (or something near to that) located in QC that sells evap-coolers that looks like dwarf aircon units complete with remote control. I used to have one of their units in my computer rental shop.

  5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,139
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Evaporative air coolers are meant to be used with a steady exchange of air from inside to outside. This is to control the humidity of the room.
    That's right. Not all rooms in a typical house may have a through and through air circulation. In which case, air coolers are not the ideal solution. An air conditioner is the only way to go in such situations.

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    That's right. Not all rooms in a typical house may have a through and through air circulation. In which case, air coolers are not the ideal solution. An air conditioner is the only way to go in such situations.
    True but aircons do consume a lot more power.

    The exchange of inside/outside air can be aided by using an electric fan or ventilator positioned to suck out stale room air out through an open window.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Aircon or Air Cooler (Evaporator)