New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Hi, I'm new here and starting to love cars.

I'll get straight to my point. I'm thinking of starting a racing career and will start this career path as a hobby, I'm 21(I don't actually think it's too late for me to start unless I'll go for formula 1 then I can forget it) I'd like to compete in regional competitions first then in the future maybe, I'll go for either GT or Touring car competitions.

I'm planning to attend racing school as well (TRS) and currently finding a job in automotive industry.

I'm a newbie in the sport though I've tried karting and it took me 2 months to realize this dream and I need some advice on how to start it.

thank you in advance.

P.S I know how to drive haha

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First things first: You'll need funding... lots of it. The addage of "how do you make a small fortune with racing is to start with a large one" is still quite true.

With your stock car, learn about it. Being a mechanic is quite a experience so you also know what makes the vehicle tick and not. This will make you more knowledgeable later on when you want to fine tune things.

A good venue is to also try those RWYB (Run-what-you-brung) type races where you can run with your stock vehicle given it's in good condition and you meet the basic safety rules and requirements. It's bracket time racing so you can just keep your car running in the brackets it is most apt for.

Racing lessons or performance driving lessons first before modifying your car or setting foot all-out on the track. Try looking into the programmes available by the driving/racing schools.

Not to be a pessimist but do make sure you have your day job to support you at all times. Racing unfortunately is still not a career to make ends meet, let alone make one rich and made for life in this country, even with all the talent one may have. I've seen way too many people dabble in this and move on as they grow up or their finances require them to be practical. Some are already content if they can afford to sustain it as a hobby with a project car they can work on and run on the track during weekends.

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    thanks, by saying RWYB type of races, did you mean auto cross/slalom? and are there any clubs that I can join? to know more about the sport. and where do they compete?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    RWYB was a race where you can race your car on a closed track/circuit, as is, as long as it is in good working condition, not leaking, and you meet the safety requirements which is a DOT/SNELL rated helmet and seatbelts at the least. This was a popular, grass roots racing series pioneered by the late Kookie Ramirez (RIP) in the old Subic track, where you would run in a bracket time and had to give the best time for that bracket (nothing more, nothing less). You also ran alone as cars were flagged off between timed intervals.

I'm not up to speed on the offerings nowadays at Clark or BRC but you can start by checking with the car clubs affiliated with the brand of your ride to see if they have any track days. If you sign up in a racing class, you can also get tips on the race offerings from there.

There are also other forms of races held such as autocross, slalom and drag at various venues (sorry as im not also up to speed on these anymore).

Best to take lessons also or get tips from experienced track junkies before you run as i've seen guys who with no track experience jump in their cars and crash on their very first lap on the track.

5. Join Date
    May 2012
    of course I do understand the no experience = no chance policy of this industry, anyway, thank you for your help. very much appreciated

Greetings people