The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002

-------------
    Tuesday August 02, 2005
    A question of honour

By Theodore Liasi

Almost a year to the day, we were having this very same discussion as to whether Button should honour his contract and remain at BAR or switch to his then preferred team BMW-Williams.

Let me remind you of what the 24-year-old said exactly 12 months ago: "I think that Williams in future is the team to be with. They've got the resources and Mark Webber and myself will be a great team."

How the wheels of fortune turn in such a short period of time. It would appear that ever since Williams lost their engine manufacturer BMW, Button no longer sees the prospect of partnering Webber as such a great opportunity after all.

Whilst advocating that a contract is a contract and having very little sympathy for Button 12 months ago, the same has to be applied today.

Button's steadfast refusal to honour the deal brokered by the FIA's Contract Recognition Board (CRB), who stated that the Briton had to remain with BAR for 2005 but would then be released to Williams for 2006, is breathtaking.

It's no better than a spoilt child who after many tantrums discovers that the grass is not as green on the other side as he had initially perceived.

Now that Williams are scrapping for a new engine deal, possibly with Cosworth, Button has seen the light and wishes to remain with BAR-Honda.

To his credit, or arrogance, he has made no secret of his reasons for wishing to remain at the Brackley-based outfit. Button admits he is not interested in driving for a team without a major manufacturer behind them.

You cannot help but wince at the sheer egotism of the man, who screamed and shouted and decried everything to do with BAR and then suddenly do a complete about face and decide that in reality, BAR are the best thing since sliced bread.

Too late I fear. Button cannot have it both ways and he should take his medicine and honour his contract; the one he fought so hard to fulfill last year. The trouble of course, and just as I stated 12 months ago, would you really want a driver within your team who has expressed no desire to join you?

You can just imagine the morale of the Williams team, the crew, mechanics and everyone else, who have heard Button bemoan their efforts and prospects for next season.

Button has twice now effectively belittled two teams in as many years and whilst Sir Frank Williams is correct in slamming Button's attitude and insisting that he join them at the end of this season, I cannot help but think this would be a mistake.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Yabang niya eh. Late last year or early this year, he said that he's just forced to race at BAR. He doesn't have any motivation anymore. Now that he's on his way to Williams as stipulated in his contract next year, he's obviously eating his words. And with his claims to be the quickest driver, has he forgotten about Raikkonen, Massa, Montoya, Alonso, Fisichella and Schumacher (senior of course)?

Here's a racer with no integrity. He must stick to whatever he says no matter what. He should drive gracefully for Williams regardless of how the new engine performs. For now, he just needs to shut up and obey what's written on paper, unless he wants out of F1.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    YUP.... Typical Brits...sheer audacity and Callousness, NOT to generalize but I've dealt with these stereotypes. Feeling nila superior sila but ang totoo sila mismo eh meron pa rin Master n Slave mentality they bowed to their royals and acts as still as a medieval slave and turns the Master when it comes to other race. Well OT na to..just venting out...kaya never and will never be a Fan of BUTTON

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    He's simply much louder than his resumé would suggest. He wouldn't really be respected if he continues on like this, let alone Villeneuve.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    With V8 power up for next year, it's a whole new ballgame for everyone. Williams are set to get engines from Ford, which is speculated to have developed them earlier than the other manufacturers. Up until 2006, we'll never really know who will perform better, and so does Jenson himself. Staying with a team that hasn't won any race isn't what I really call playing safe. Williams have a better track record and so does Ford, the engine maker that won the most races so far. So if I were him, I'd race with Williams no matter what.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ford V8 engines gave M Schumacher his first wins and his first World Championship. No other engine manufacturer has better experience with V8 than Ford-Cosworth.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    A blessing in disguise for Williams next year perhaps?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Button buys out Williams contract