New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    F1 is more of a competition in technology while A1 brings out the skills in a driver.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My thoughts on the race:

I felt that the qualifying format was a bit long for live television, but as everything was done in one day (as opposed to F1's two-day sched for practice, SINGLE qualifying session, and race), I guess it's better than having to wait too long. But a separate day for qualifying would work to build more buzz for the upcoming race. Having one sprint race and one full length race makes for more action, that's for sure.

Info-blurbs and graphics are more comprehensive than F1's. The boost left display also tells you a lot about who's pushing hard, and who's been getting around and overtaking without it.

I guess you can't eliminate mechanical/electrical failures. Too bad one of the ONLY incidents happened to the guy in first place at the time, UK's Robbie Kerr (who overtook Nelson Piquet in the pits). Pit crew inexperience with the format showed, but part of the problem was sticky retainers on the rear wheels. Maybe next time it'll be smoother, but the cumbersome pit crew regulations make pit stops more exciting and challenging. I like it.

It's nice to see how a modern series works without any computer intervention. Even the best drivers had tail-happy moments during the race due to the lack of traction control. Lots of overtaking. A number of incidents, but that's to be expected, as some drivers were not experienced open-wheel racers. The action was furious, even if the winner ran away with both races virtually uncontested. The nice thing about the short-medium format of the two races is that it doesn't have time to turn into the runaway blazes that characterize F1. There was a lot of furious midfield action. The rules made for some nifty overtaking (There is a rule that you CANNOT move to block at a turn if you've already shifted your line to block one overtake) and some good strategic blocking.

Nelson Piquet Jr., the Brazilian driver, was on a different plane from the other drivers during the race. Alex Yoong from F3 was terrific, defending his 5th place from all comers.

Sana next year, may Pinoy.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kelan kaya replay nito. hindi ko napanood, sayang

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Update: May rumors na may lumalapit kay Tyson Sy para mag-compete... we can only hope. :lol: !

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Mamayang gabi yata ang Highlights 11Pm.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I want Vandolph to be our driver...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Kasing exciting siguro ni Takuma Sato... vroom vroom... bump!

vroom vroom! jumpstart!

vroom vroom! spin!!!!!!!! CRASH! :lol:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Congrats to our ASEAN brothers!

MALAYSIA SECURE DOUBLE VICTORY IN BRNO

A1 Team Malaysia secured a double victory today in Brno as Alex Yoong added the Feature race spoils to his Sprint race win. A1 Team Czech Republic’s Tomas Enge clinched second position, with Mexican Salvador Duran completing the podium in third.

Malaysian Yoong started the race from pole position, however a lightning start from A1 Team Canada dropped him back to second after the first corner. Rookie James Hinchcliffe belied his relative lack of A1GP experience as he pulled out a five second gap over the next 15 laps. Yoong however kept in touch and was finally able to seize his chance on lap 32 when Hinchcliffe ran slightly wide through turn eight. As Hinchcliffe was pitched into a spin, Yoong powered up the inside to snatch the lead. Yoong credited his Canadian rookie rival, “James defended quite hard but he was fair. I had a four second gap to him after the pit stop and I knew he was about two tenths of a second per lap faster, so the most important thing was to keep in touch and see what happened. When he ran wide I got through and took the lead. I’m really happy with the weekend’s results, the team did a great job for both races.”

http://www.a1gp.com/news/index.php?f...d=1&newsid=402

There should be a Philippine team next season with Tyson Sy driving...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I was thinking the same thing... Asian F3 is a good training ground for A1, and Tyson could probably enter if someone could convince SMC, Ayala and one or two of the media giants to sponsor him.

I watched those races, very exciting race for Yoong, and his experience and cunning showed quite clearly in the feature race, where he hounded the Canadian rookie into making mistakes, picking up debris on his tires, and wearing his car out before taking the plunge on the inside. Some contact happened, but Yoong had the decisive advantage and the inside line.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i guess its time for team philippines to send one team for A1 gp next year, our asean neighbors are doing well over the rest of the nations in this year GP, esp. team malaysia and china, singapore is a noobie maybe we can send tyson sy or dado pena next year hope somebody will step in to shoulder the 1 million$ franchise fee for A1, and may i comment on the thread title, A1 is not a big threat on F1,its like comparing apple over a banana, same concept but its a different league, technology wise, and drivers talent A1 is still far behind F1....its the mother of all motor sports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
A1- The F1 competitor?