Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Business As Usual
    Inventor Malang on his newest feat
    Monday, April 21, 2008
    Philippine Star

Every year, Dr. Billy Malang, the multi-awarded Filipino inventor
    never fails to surprise his colleagues with reasons to go the extra mile despite the country’s seeming lack of recognition for inventors.

Last February, after being noticed for his innovation in beer during the International Inventors Day Convention held in Thailand, his story as an inventor for 23 years now was finally told to the full, proving right the old saying “all good things come to those who wait.”

Good things, however, turned even greater for Malang this year because no less than Southeast Asia’s largest food, beverage and packaging company chose him to endorse its flagship brand, San Miguel Beer.

“It’s not everyday that a Filipino inventor is welcomed by mainstream companies into its fold. San Miguel has inspired me to strive harder as an inventor. I am truly honored,” said 59-year-old Malang.

Malang, whom San Miguel depicts as “an epitome of a world-class Filipino talent” adds that his partnership with the company would definitely encourage around 1,000 local inventors like him to continue brewing concepts that will eventually benefit the country.

Reports reveal that the number of Filipino inventors leaving the Philippines and selling their inventions abroad is rapidly increasing. Malang attested that around 80 percent of Filipino inventions fail to materialize due to limited funds.

“The government and the private sector should work hand in hand in supporting our very own talents. I am happy that San Miguel Beer is setting the trend in recognizing Filipino ingenuity,” he explained.

A self-confessed San Miguel Beer lover, Malang expressed his excitement for his new project with the company.

“Apart from endorsing my favorite beer, I never thought that I would be given the opportunity to share my ideas with San Miguel. I hope that my innovative concepts in beer would help the company in its commitment to produce a wide variety of world-class beer products.”

Despite his busy schedule, Malang remains active in his post as the founder and president of Manila Innovation Development Society, Inc. (MINDS), the organization that helps public school students realize their potentials in science and technology.
    Last edited by jpdm; April 27th, 2008 at 08:47 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Indeed, we have lots of Pinoy scientists that the government can harness for our own benefit..

[SIZE=2]Manila Times
    July 10, 2008
    [/SIZE]
    Filipino scientists eyed to help
    RP’s renewable energy program
    [SIZE=2]
    The Philippines has vast stores of renewable energy sources, which the government intends to tap in its bid to provide energy security for the country. [/SIZE] [SIZE=2]This was among the points raised by Department of Energy Secretary Angelo Reyes as he delivered the keynote address at the opening yesterday of the 30th Annual Scientific Meeting of the two-day 30th Annual Scientific Meeting of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) Philippines at the Manila Hotel. Its theme was energy security and sustainability. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]NAST is the country’s highest policy advisory body on science and technology and is affiliated with the Department of Science and Technology. It is made up of leading science and technology academics in Philippine universities. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]In his address, Reyes pointed out the numerous alternative and renewable energy sources for power, which the Philippines could use amid the energy crisis. Increasingly tapping them to form part of the country’s energy mix forms part of the policy thrusts of the government’s energy security plan, according to him. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The secretary pointed out that wind resources from various sites in the Philippines added up to a total size of 10,000 square kilometers with 76,000 megawatts of potential installed capacity. On the other hand, the Philippines has geothermal reserves able to generate 4,406 megawatts of electric power. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Reyes also cited other renewable energy resources with potential to deliver power, which are hydropower,147 megawatts in the Visayas alone; minihydro-potentials, 1784 megawatts from 888 sites all over the country; rice hulls, 277 megawatts; bagasse, 236 megawatts; ocean energy, 170,000 megawatts, and solar energy, 5.0 to 5.1 kilowatts per hour per square meter throughout the country daily. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]He said these renewable resources are already being tapped, accounting for a total of 5,445.476 megawatts of energy produced in the country in 2007. Of this total amount, 3,367.070 megawatts were produced by hydropower. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Geothermal resources accounted for 2,027.065 megawatts; wind, 25.250 megawatts, biomass, 20.930 megawatts; and solar energy, 5.161 megawatts. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]At an impromptu press briefing following the opening ceremonies, Reyes said that the thrust to make better use of the country’s renewable energy resources would have to employ the expertise of Filipino scientists to turn this potential into reality.
    --Ike Suarez [/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Pinoy-made electric cars top draw but stuck at QC Circle

01/01/08
    Posted under Road Transport, Transport, Charles Buban

By Charles E. Buban
    Inquirer

AT THE QUEZON Memorial Circle, a sprawling park at the heart of Quezon City, visitors can take a short test drive to a cleaner, greener future: For only P30 per lap, they can either take the wheel or hitch a ride on the country’s first electric car developed by a Filipino inventor.

[SIZE=3]The eight prototypes of the “G Car” built by engineer Gerry Caroro[/SIZE] have been attracting some 100 to 200 park goers daily since the fleet was added last Nov. 30 to the Circle’s eco-themed attractions.

“My dream is for every Filipino to one day enjoy wonderful stretches of virtually pollution-free roads, with my G Cars as the principal mode of personal transport,” said Caroro, who produced the vehicles at an average cost of P280,000 per unit from his West Avenue workshop in QC.

One G Car variant runs on a 48-volt, deep cycle-type battery which Caroro can also supply. When plugged to a standard 220-volt power source, it would only consume between P40 and P60 worth of electricity to be fully recharged in about 8 hours. The car can then cover up to 80 km.

“One model I am particularly promoting could seat two persons in front and two more at the back. It could go for a maximum of 40 kph so it’s just perfect for short rides around the city,” Caroro told the Inquirer.

Of the eight models, one can run on both battery and gasoline (hybrids), and another on battery and solar energy (with solar panels installed on the car’s roof).

Certain models have body profiles which, Caroro said, were inspired by the Philippine Eagle, with front hoods sporting a beak-shaped pattern and doors that swing open at an angle like wings.
    Cleaner way to go

The G Car represents a cleaner way to move around the city. While this type of mobility is mostly found inside golf courses and sometimes in posh residential communities, I don’t see why it can’t be used in public roads,” he added.
    Caroro said he gets two-thirds of the Circle’s daily earnings from the G Car rides.
    But being reduced to a mere park curiosity is certainly not what the inventor had in mind after spending over a million pesos for his Earth-friendly rides.

His situation is not unlike those of most Filipino inventors who, lacking government support, struggle to get past the showroom and trade fair circuit and become commercially viable.

Told of Caroro’s case, Ronald Talion, spokesperson of the Filipino Inventors Society, tried to present a bigger picture: “First of all, the P10-million annual budget that is supposed to support us inventors since 2001 is nonexistent.”

“It’s already mandated under Republic Act Act 7459 (Inventors and Invention Incentives Act) and yet, for some strange reason, our inventors have to fend for themselves,” Talion noted.

Founded in 1943, FIS is just one of the 19 recognized inventors associations in the country with a total membership of around 3,200.
    Only support

“The only support we get is the P178,000 that is given to us every November to celebrate National Inventors Week (NIW). Obviously this is not enough, which is why a lot of my colleagues were forced to seek support from abroad,” he lamented.

Caroro unveiled his G Car during the 2003 NIW — and he apparently had to wait for almost four years before a “partner” took interest and helped him promote his work.

“The Quezon City Parks Development Foundation Inc. was generous enough to support me in my mission to make the public more aware of electric cars and how this type of vehicle can solve our worsening air pollution,” he said.
    The foundation’s president, former QC Vice Mayor Charito Planas, said “it only makes sense to allow the G Car inside the Quezon Memorial Circle since this park advocates clean and green environment as well as healthy lifestyles.”

Public’s appreciation

“We support (him) because his electric cars don’t emit pollutants and for the public to appreciate the advantages they offer,” Planas said.
    She said the foundation is also helping Caroro coordinate with City Mayor Feliciano Belmonte on other ways the G Cars can gain exposure, perhaps by allowing some units to be driven on public roads within QC.

At the moment, an electric car like the G Car is still limited to private roads in the country since the Land Transportation Office has yet to draw up measures for the registration of such vehicles.

The process will largely be based on certifications coming from the Department of Science and Technology concerning the technical specs of electric car models.

But by letting park goers take the G Car for a spin, Caroro just wants Filipinos to know that a locally built electric car can now be mass produced, with the potential to change the country’s road landscape for the better.
    yes to this! I hope the government will support his invention....

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    From PinoyHack

« Filipino Scientist - Inventions proudly made in the Philippines
    Filipino Scientists - Inventions proudly made in the Philippines II
    Filipino Scientists - Inventions proudly made in the Philippines - Part 2.
    Eduardo San Juan - Filipino Inventor: Mechanical engineer, Eduardo San Juan worked on the team that invented the Lunar Rover or Moon Buggy. Eduardo San Juan is considered the primary designer of the Lunar Rover.
    Moon Buggy: In 1971, the Moon Buggy was first used by during the Apollo 12 landing to explore the Moon.
    Roberto del Rosario - Filipino Inventor: Roberto del Rosario is the president of the Trebel Music Corporation and the inventor of the Karaoke Sing Along System in 1975. Roberto del Rosario has patented more than twenty inventions making him one of the most prolific Filipino inventor. Besides his famous Karaoke Sing Along System Roberto del Rosario has also invented:
    Trebel Voice Color Code (VCC)
    piano tuner’s guide
    piano keyboard stressing device
    voice color tape
    Roberto del Rosario - Karaoke Sing Along System: Karaoke is a Japanese expression for singing along to a famous record with the vocals removed. Roberto del Rosario described his sing-along system as a handy multi-purpose compact machine which incorporates an amplifier speaker, one or two tape mechanisms, optional tuner or radio and microphone mixer with features to enhance one’s voice, such as the echo or reverb to stimulate an opera hall or a studio sound, with the whole system enclosed in one cabinet casing.
    Daniel Dingel - Water-Powered Car or Water-Powered Hoax?: Filipino inventor, Daniel Dingel designs cars that run on water. The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that Daniel Dingel built a water-fueled automobile engine as early as 1969. Dingel has no patents and many members of the science community feel that his water-powered car is a hoax. However, Daniel Dingel has demonstrated his car without any technical papers or explanation as to how it works. And if it does work, a water-powered car would be a fantastic invention.
    Daniel Dingel - Claims: Daniel Dingel claims his engine has a chamber that breaks apart water molecules to produce combustible hydrogen. Electricity from a 12-volt car battery to used to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen components, with the hydrogen then used to power the car engine.
    Josefino Comiso - Filipino Physicist: Josefino Comiso is a Filipino physicist working at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center studing global warming in the Arctic. Josefino Comiso was the first person to discover a recurring polynya in the Cosmonaut Sea, south of the Indian Ocean. A polynya is a semipermanent area of open water in sea ice.
    Via About.com
    Via stii.dost.gov.ph
    This entry was posted on Monday, September 11th, 2006 at 6:
    Nice post from Pinoy hack about pinoy inventors and scientists!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hmmm. 48V....... Reminds me of golf carts like this one. I've seen a number of this scurrying around our neighborhood They're pretty quick. I've been stuck behind one going almost 30 mph (48 kph).

If they work here, they can work there too.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 2nd, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I miss the pioneering SAS or Sing-along-System, the predecessor of the Japanese "karaoke."

I think a Pinoy invented it together with TREBEL- a Pinoy brand of piano and other musical instruments...

The Technogas brand " technogas technique" is I think a local brand that sells a variety of local appliances..

The PHILACOR brand "Winner Refrigerator" also...

THe Radiowealth TV...with a distinct wooden cabinet plus lock....

These brands used to dominate the 1970s and 80s..

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    I miss the pioneering SAS or Sing-along-System, the predecessor of the Japanese "karaoke."

I think a Pinoy invented it together with TREBEL- a Pinoy brand of piano and other musical instruments...

The Technogas brand " technogas technique" is I think a local brand that sells a variety of local appliances..

The PHILACOR brand "Winner Refrigerator" also...

THe Radiowealth TV...with a distinct wooden cabinet plus lock....

These brands used to dominate the 1970s and 80s..
    Yup, I used to see their advertisements on TV in the past...

A product of Pinoy innovation especially the SAS and Trebel..

Anyway, I hope more Pinoys will invent new products from native materials... (VOQO wine anyone)

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    A list of Pinoy inventors and their inventions that are timely--especially for budget conscious Pinoy!(especially those who are reeling from high fuel, transportation costs...)

[SIZE=2]Inventor of Fuel Products
    In 1996, Rudy Lantano Sr., a scientist from the Philippine Department of Science and Technology (DOST), won the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) gold medal for developing Super Bunker Formula-L, a revolutionary fuel half-composed of water. The mix burns faster and emits pollutants, 95 percent less than those released to the air by traditional fuel products. The inventor said his invention is a result of blending new ingredients and additives with ordinary oil products through agitation and mixing, which is a very safe process. The initial plan was to commercially produce two million liters of Alco-Diesel, two million liters of Lan-Gas and an unlimited quantity of Super Bunker Formula-L each day for customers in Luzon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Natural Gas Vehicle
    The Department of Energy (DOE) has developed a vehicle that runs on natural gas, whose rich deposits remain untapped under the Philippine seabed. The project's main objective is to look into the potential of natural gas as an alternative fuel to conventional petrol and diesel for the transport sector. The natural gas vehicle (NVG) has been road-tested in Isabela where an existing natural gas supply from the PNOC Gas Plant is located. Test runs have also been made in Cagayan, Ifugao and Mountain Province. The test vehicle used was the Isuzu Hi-Lander 4JA-1, direct injected diesel engine. The use of natural gas as a fuel is cheaper. On a gallon-equivalent basis, natural gas costs an average of 15 to 40 percent less than gasoline and diesel. There are over one million NVGs in the world today, according to the International Association for Natural Gas Vehicles.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Lamp Fixing Invention
    A Filipino inventor has developed a technology, which could revive a busted lamp (pundido) and give it more years of functional life than those of new ones. Acclaimed by the Filipino Inventors Society as timely and revolutionary, the [SIZE=3]Nutec system[/SIZE] can prolong the life of fluorescent lamps up to seven years. Nutec was developed by New World Technology, headed by president Eric Ngo and chosen as the "Product of the Year" at the Worldbex 2000 Building and Construction Exposition held at the Manila Hotel. Engineer Benjamin S. Santos, national president of the Inventors Society, called Nutec a timely invention.[/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i could have invented something if had funding. eg. n_______ p_______ h_____c____ top secret
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    this fails to mention a lot of people who are in *actual* R&D or in the academe. maybe they should also get the credit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
World-Class Pinoy Inventor Anyone?