New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I am not referring to SC only but to the whole of the country.

May mababago kaya sa bansa natin o sabi nga eh "weather weather lang".

Parang panahon ni Erap dati tapos naging panahon ni GMA at mga alipores niya.

Ngayon panahon naman ng KKK???

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    from here on will all politicians be honest sa pag declare ng SALN?

alam natin lahat may hidden wealth lahat ng politician

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    from here on will all politicians be honest sa pag declare ng SALN?

alam natin lahat may hidden wealth lahat ng politician
    I think most of us knows the answer to that. But I hope the media and the govt agencies who were very eager to divulged Corona's wealth will do the same to all suspected corrupt officials. IMO, Corona's removal will not make much of a dent in the corruption culture in the Philippines. Much of the corruption is done at the lower level of govt plus Filipinos tend to have short memories.

Another point I would like to raise is how to we remove corrupt senators and congressmen considering how our electorate vote.
    JPE's reasoning that legislators are elected officials and that only the people can remove them does not really bode well considering how easily voters can be swayed by money during election time.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    All impeachable goverment officials can now be thrown out of office by a incomplete SALN statement. Won't declaring P10,000 be any different from not declaring P80 million? Politicians IN OFFICE will now not cross PNoy, I'm sure his opponents/opponents-to-be will be double checking their past SALN. Yung mga remaining GMA justices will be sweating by now. Siguradong si Lapid daming butas sa SALN din...
    Last edited by Monseratto; May 30th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The question is to what extent do they hide it?

The Senate already publishes declared incomes for all the Senators, which goes up to the billions for guys like Villar.

Like Ralph Recto said: The question is to what extent the inaccuracy is... because it's very easy to be slightly inaccurate... but if the inaccuracy is in the millions.

Walang palusot ngayon. Because the Senate very publicly upheld the absolute importance of the SALN, everyone has to give it importance. If hearings for a SALN violation get blocked by political strength of numbers... they know now that when administrations change, they can be targetted and taken down.

-

There is an important distinction between this trial and the Estrada trial. The Estrada trial had voting clearly split between the parties. The Corona trial had voting wherein only a few holdouts (three, to be exact) didn't vote with the majority.

The cynical might say that the swing votes only went with the majority because they were afraid of backlash during the elections. To this I say: GOOD!

That means that the politicians recognize that voters are savvy enough to understand the importance of transparency in government, which means that further prosecution for gross misrepresentation of SALN will be easier than this.

Votes can be bought. But not all of them. Giving money straight to people doesn't ensure their vote. As PGMA showed... you cannot buy individual ballots. You have to buy the district and cheat at that level, or have a religious group in your pocket... but the "block-vote" is over-rated, IMHO.

-

It was important for Enrile to end the trial with his speech admonishing the prosecution (and I hope he pushes for an investigation of the prosecution panel)... because he has to make it clear that the only reason the witch hunt was successful was because there was a witch, and not merely because PNoy holds the majority.

-

Susunod? Investigate the Senate. Start with Enrile...
    Last edited by niky; May 30th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Much of the corruption is done at the lower level of govt
    sorry but i don't agree with that

a lot of corruption happens at the highest levels of govt involving mind-boggling amounts of money

the wealthiest in the private sector all have friends in the highest levels govt

they help each other

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    I think most of us knows the answer to that. But I hope the media and the govt agencies who were very eager to divulged Corona's wealth will do the same to all suspected corrupt officials. IMO, Corona's removal will not make much of a dent in the corruption culture in the Philippines. Much of the corruption is done at the lower level of govt plus Filipinos tend to have short memories.

Another point I would like to raise is how to we remove corrupt senators and congressmen considering how our electorate vote.
    JPE's reasoning that legislators are elected officials and that only the people can remove them does not really bode well considering how easily voters can be swayed by money during election time.
    It's really sad how the same corrupt politicians get elected over and over again despite their history. Compounding this problem is the seeming inability of our legislative branch to enact a law prohibiting political dynasties --- so it only serves to perpetuate politicians who are already in power by just having their sons, daughters, wives, etc. run for public office.

Dapat talaga sa atin is the "one and done" rule. If you're elected or appointed to government for a specific term, whether fixed or co-terminus, perpetually disqualified ka na to hold other positions in government, together with your immediate family.

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    corruption in the country is very difficult to correct. we have the voters who do not think of the future but of the present. for example: whoever gives the most money for the vote gets it. some of our voters vote because the candidate is an "arteestah", maybe because he is popular. the candidates in turn spend millions of pesos to get elected when they know the total pay or entitlements for their term is only in the thousands of pesos. most voters are blind to this. majority of our candidates have personal agenda: to get rich quick no matter how dirty it is. and the voters too, are too naive to get these unscrupulous individuals elected. the voters too are to blame for these incompetents and undesirables in the office

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    new paradigm of transparency daw

tignan natin

:taunt: :coffee:

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    It's really sad how the same corrupt politicians get elected over and over again despite their history. Compounding this problem is the seeming inability of our legislative branch to enact a law prohibiting political dynasties --- so it only serves to perpetuate politicians who are already in power by just having their sons, daughters, wives, etc. run for public office.
    Because in the Philippines, Politics is a Family Business.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
What happens now? After Corona was found guilty?