1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Legal pala ito . . .
    ----------------------
    Toss of coin breaks tie for town council seat

By Desiree Caluza
    Inquirer
    Last updated 01:46am (Mla time) 05/19/2007

BONTOC, Mountain Province, Philippines — Two candidates for councilor here tied for the eighth and last place and an election officer suggested they flip a coin to determine the winner.
    Are you joking? Stunned poll watchers asked Mary Umaming, municipal election supervisor, after she made the proposal.
    People at the crowded municipal hall, where the tabulation took place, burst into laughter when Umaming readied the P5 coin for flipping. This eased the tension among the candidates and their supporters.
    “The people were not expecting that tossing a coin was an option to break the tie. The people were laughing and asking me ‘Are you joking?’ Umaming told the Inquirer.
    Tossing a coin to break a tie might sound odd for voters but Umaming said this method was included in the Commission on Elections guidelines.
    Aside from flipping a coin, another option was drawing lots to break the tie, she said.
    The two candidates who were vying for the last slot were Brian Bellang, chief of Barangay Alab here, and Benjamin Ngeteg, an incumbent municipal councilor of Bontoc.
    Bellang, 37, a neophyte politician, chose heads and won.
    “At first it was hard to explain the feeling when I won (through coin-tossing) but I was happy that I won,” he said.
    Gentleman’s agreement
    Bellang said the exercise was fair for him and his contender.
    “We talked about it when the coin-flipping was proposed to us. We both agreed to give way to each other. He is a relative after all. It was a gentleman’s agreement,” he said.
    But for residents here, election was a time when tossing money for vote-buying was not a laughing matter.
    Fr. Marion Buyagawan, chair of the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting-National Citizens’ Movement for Free Elections in the Mt. Province, said vote-buying was so rampant, some residents called the May 14 elections the dirtiest in the province’s history.
    “We had no culture of vote-buying before. But because of too much poverty, it was done. In the past, we elected our leaders according to their wisdom and integrity … Modern politics has changed some practices,” Buyagawan lamented.
    Forced to take money
    In Barangay Maligcong here, a woman cried when she was forced to take money. “Why are you forcing me to take this money? Are you forcing me to sell my vote,” she was overheard saying.
    In Barangay Balugan in Sagada town, elders on Tuesday night talked about how to eliminate vote-buying after a teacher allegedly distributed money given by a mayoral candidate.
    Stickers which carried a message: “We may be poor but we do not sell/buy votes” were posted at the Bontoc town center.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wow, that's something new. Baka sa susunod, paper, rock scissors (bato bato pik) naman ang gagamitin.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    labo... hehehe

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Wow, that's something new. Baka sa susunod, paper, rock scissors (bato bato pik) naman ang gagamitin.
    I think that's a splendid idea! Other than being (almost) a competition, it can serve as training for international competitions!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sa mga senador suntukan na lang, kung sino lamog sya talo hehehe

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Toss coin? Naku!, baka magkadayaan pa dyan. Baka doble cara ang gamiting coin.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Toss coin? Naku!, baka magkadayaan pa dyan. Baka doble cara ang gamiting coin.
    Parang coin ni two face sa Batman?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Pwede pala yan.Dodgeball na lang para masaya.
    Maglabas na ng panyo.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ginawa na yan before... even in the USA. That's not something "new" to use as a tiebreaker.

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Ginawa na yan before... even in the USA. That's not something "new" to use as a tiebreaker.
    Agree.

BTW, if you find the toss-coin procedure a bit funny please share your idea(s) for its replacement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toss of coin breaks tie