New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    [SIZE=3]Foreign bizmen prefer hiring workers [/SIZE][SIZE=3]with technical, vocational skills [/SIZE]

By Max V. de Leon

Reporter
    Business Mirror,
    Monday April 28, 2008
    FILIPINOS don’t have to be college graduates to be employed by mostly multinational firms, but they must have technical or vocational skills.

This was made clear by foreign businessmen as they reiterated their concern over the lack of technical and vocational skills among applicants, skills they badly need more than having a college education.

The European Chamber of Commerce, said they would actually prefer high-school graduates that are well-trained in their line of work than those who finished their college courses but are forced to do jobs they were not trained to do.

He said one major reason why there is a high turnover rate of workers in some industries is the fact that college graduates are getting the jobs that are not really fit for their skills.

“If you have high-school graduates that are technically trained, they will stay with you more than college graduates that do not have the right skills,” he said.

Rob Sears of the American Chamber of Commerce said they want the high-school graduates to concentrate more in vocational courses and become welders, technicians, mechanics, carpenters and electricians because these are lacking nowadays.

He cited the case of shipbuilder Hanjin, which is now in dire need of welders for its manufacturing facility in Subic and soon in Mindanao.

He said those with technical skills but have no college diploma should not also worry about getting promoted because council-member companies are willing to give them positions as high as middle managers.

Schumacher said parents, students and academe should realize this because if they go through the flow of the current curriculum, the job-skills mismatch in the country will continue to produce educated but unemployable people.

Schumacher said Filipinos should change their culture and social beliefs based on the notion that it would be easier to get good jobs if they have a college diploma.
    “They do not have to be college graduates. They can have a great future if they are properly trained in technical and vocational skills,” he said.
    Last edited by russpogi; April 29th, 2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added quotes. Note to poster, cite reference!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thing is, pinoys are conditioned to think that vocational courses are for those who can't get into college.

Mababa ang tingin ng tao pag vocational ka lang.

Which is wrong.

Pinoys still equate a diploma with higher social standing and prestige.

The term "may pinagaralan" is embedded into our language.

----------------------------------

Well, since everyone wants to be a college graduate... enterprising people open hole-in-the-wall, fly-by-night colleges to meet the demand.

Dami natin "colleges" diba?

they're everywhere.
    Last edited by uls; April 28th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I remember a Pinoy carpenter 15 yrs ago back in Nevada. He made $20-$25 per hour. If he was smart, he'd have a fortune by now. I hope he saved his money esp with the current housing slump.

Me, I used to do plumbing (both maintenance and construction) on the side. But nowadays, I do it mostly for charitable causes.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Actually, running a talyer or a friendly neighborhood auto shop in the Philippines , with its owner as the chief mechanic, manager and marketer, is very, very lucrative...my neighbors are now certified millionaires because of their superb workmanship...(simple tune up will cost 200 pesos, a paint job will cost 20,000 pesos and up, overhaul around 6t-30t pesos etc..)

Also, my first cousin, earns alot in Toronto, Canada being a mechanic.....
    Last edited by jpdm; April 28th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ang problema, most non top-tier schools have to spend at 6 months to 1 year just to teach lessons which should've been learned in HIGH SCHOOL. Kung itong mga ito ang papakuhanin ng Vocational course na 6 months lang, you end up with semi-illiterate technical workers or, at best, barely acceptable high school grads.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I was under the impression you're supposed to finish HS first like everybody else then go to vocational school. By that point, you should have a good background in math, science, and english. Then you go to a trade school.

Add: High school trade skills won't be enough. Take plumbing, you'd need to learn advanced skills like gas lines and also different building codes. You might learn really basic pipe-laying skills or the use of lathes to thread your own pipes. But, they're just that, very basic.

OT
    Hmmm. If I decide to open a plumbing business...... "Kubeta King" sounds like a good name for it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 29th, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I was under the impression you're supposed to finish HS first like everybody else then go to vocational school. By that point, you should have a good background in math, science, and english. Then you go to a trade school.

Add: High school trade skills won't be enough. Take plumbing, you'd need to learn advanced skills like gas lines and also different building codes. You might learn really basic pipe-laying skills or the use of lathes to thread your own pipes. But, they're just that, very basic.

OT
    Hmmm. If I decide to open a plumbing business...... "Kubeta King" sounds like a good name for it.

Agree. must finish high school first in the Philippines before going to vocational/technical courses.

But in vocational courses you need skills (tagalog: wido sa trabaho o practical skills) rather that theoretical knowledge.

Kasi I have met numerous superb master carpenters already and they are really good in their craft. This is without the benefit of a formal education. Self-study lang.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    maraming vocational ang need ng ibang bansa ngayon.
    lalo na sa canada, autralia kasi "skilled" workers ang need nila.
    also adavantage na rin sa mga filipinos kasi kapag napasa nila yung
    NC II exam ng tesda, malaki chance nila makapagrabaho sa ibang bansa
    kasi yun ang isang requirement ng ibang companies eh recognized naman
    yan certificate na yan.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    true.true, specially for foreign manufacturing firms.
    and mahirap lang naman eh yung mga filipino owned firms na naghahanap ng graduates pa from reputable schools eh, therefore limiting the employment opportunities even for college graduates.

to cite an example, i know a "filipino" life insurance company who prefers to hire DLSU, UP, Ateneo, Assumption, St. Scho graduates tapos contractual clerical position lang naman ang vacant.

yung mga graduates of vocational schools, they are skilled alright, but possesses excellent attitude to excel dahil most of them come from impoverished families.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    foreigners basically need people who are good with their hands.

they have enough brains to do the planning and management, what they need are people to turn those plans into reality.

-----------------

eh dito making money is all about connections.

so employers here demand people from prestigious schools coz students from those schools have a network of well-to-do friends and family.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Technical/Vocational grad in Demand