New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpunzalan View Post
    I think the point of the original author is this:

We DO NOT have to love, much less tolerate the stupid, greedy and evil officials in our country. We are welcome to study abroad and to work abroad if that will sustain our incomes and allow us to grow as professionals and as individuals. It is laudable that people sacrifice time away from their families to provide a better life for them, and for us to try to grow beyond our limitations here...

BUT:

It doesn't mean that we have to shake the dust off our feet when we leave our country. Just because our country is corrupt and underdeveloped doesn't mean we must hate it. Hate the leaders, hate the social conditions, but do not hate the country. Why? You can change the former, but you can never truly change the latter. You will only have one motherland.

The author is right: if economic conditions go south, the world may stop seeing us as assets and begin to see us as liabilities. After all, Pinoys are hired because OUR LABOR IS CHEAP. Yes, we have talented laborers in all fields, but so do most other countries. If they experience an economic downturn, they will prioritize their native labor over Pinoys and other foreigners. Look at what is happening now in Europe: guest workers from the Maghreb (North Africa) and Turkey were welcomed in the boom years of the 50's to 1973. When the boom ended, the migrants were treated as strangers in a strange land, and the issue of repatriating them or integrating them into European society now haunts Europe.

If that happens, where will our brethren go? The only country that will allow them in... will be our own. After all, we only have one true homeland.

So, where does that leave us on dealing with migration: here's my suggestion: study abroad, work abroad, learn as much as you can. But when you are financially and personally fulfilled, return to the country and share what you have learned. Put up a school, a foundation, or a business. Teach. In that way you have taken care of yourself but you also leave something better for the next generation. You don't have to enter politics to help your country. Look at what foundations like Gawad Kalinga, Habitat for Humanity, WWF-Philippines, Greenpeace or Tahanang Walang Hagdanan do.

That is exactly what young Japanese did in the Meiji restoration, what young Malaysians and Singaporeans in the 1950's, what Thais did during the 1970's (from our own universities, no less!), and this is what we can do. Its not impossible, really. After all, magaling naman ang Pinoy, diba?

In my opinion, so far your post is the most sensible....

Regarding the Meiji restoration, Japan allowed its people (scholars in particular)to learn Western values, technology and skills. But must come back to Japan in order to use these valuable things learned from the West for the advantage of Dai Nippon.

Since then Japan became the only superpower coming from Asia (in fact the only Asian Axis power).It also signaled the modernization of Japan led by her ultra-nationalistic (read patriotic) Zaibatsus (led by former Samurai families)led by Mitsui, Sumitomo and Toyo-Menka.

Its perfectly alright to go abroad---just give something back to the homeland.

Its ironic...

...this Mangun looks like a British guy living in the Philippines and yet talks about the negative impact of a whole sale pinoy diaspora....

...the Fil-Chinese see every crisis in our country as an opportunity...

....on the otherhand, Native pinoys talks about leaving the country permanently...

...No wonder 60-70% of the Philippine economy is controlled by Taipans and few families and mostly have mono-syllabic names (to name a few i.e. Sy (SM) , Tan (Lucio-PNB-Allied-UE-PAL); Andrew (Megaworld-Alliance Global-Empire East), Ty(Metrobank Group-Toyota), Yao (Zesto-Asian Spirit-Seair), Que (Mercury Drug), Yap (Manila Bulletin-Euromed-CEU) or a combination of these names such as Co-juang-co ( Danding), Go-kong-wei (John and JGSummit-Robinsons), Yu-cheng-co ( Malayan-RCBC-Mapua),

Isama natin mga kastilaloys at Creoles.....Ayala-McMicking-Zobel, Madrigal, De la Zuriaga, Aboitiz, Roxas-Araneta, Ortigas and Co., Yulo, Tuazons and Lopez....

How about the native breeds.......Magpantay, , Kapangyarihan, Dimasalang, Salaguito at Salagubang.............ahhh...well......lumilipad. .....

Sabagay, kanya-kanyang paniniwala at diskarte lang talaga......
    Last edited by jpdm; April 24th, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ayusin ang education system sa pinas. but with the kind of culture we have, i doubt.

pero on the bright side, maraming naghihikayat sa amin na kumuha ng post graduate studies abroad. gusto nilang mareplicate ung nangyari sa India.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ang sarap ng buhay sa Pinas.
    We only have to live within our means.
    If you start focusing on what you want and work really hard to achieve it there is no reason why you wouldnt get it.
    We have to think positive no matter how negative things are.
    The people who say that living in other countries is better, happier, richer are not saying the whole truth.
    I firmly believe na magkaroon lang tayo ng isang leader with the charisma of an Adolf Hitler (of course with good and selfless intentions) that will steer our country towards nationalism and eventually prosperity then we will see a true change.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; April 24th, 2008 at 09:40 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    If you start focusing on what you want and work really hard to achieve it there is no reason why you wouldnt get it.
    The people who say that living in other countries is better, happier, richer are not saying the whole truth.
    I firmly believe na magkaroon lang tayo ng isang leader with the charisma of an Adolf Hitler (of course with good and selfless intentions) that will steer our country towards nationalism and eventually prosperity then we will see a true change.

Agree!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    I don't think there's a single person here who said living overseas is all sunshine and daisies. In fact, most say the opposite. We have to work very hard to get where we are now. It's people over there who think we simply pick our money from trees.

Here if we fail, we don't readily blame the government. The first people we blame are ourselves. We have only ourselves to blame if we can't feed our families.

I certainly agree with you people can succeed over there. My sister found success over there and my wife had a job there when I met her.

I have to disagree about having a charismatic leader. I rather have a butt-ugly, no-people appeal, boring leader who knows how to do the job than a charismatic one because oftentimes, charisma is all a charismatic leader has. Take John McCain. He rarely makes speeches here because he's busy at work. He often comes out as too quiet and boring. But, I've been to the absolute poorest section of town and guess what? The streets are clean and orderly, every house has the familiar blue and green trash bins, graffiti is at a minimum. Of course, there are more cops patrolling there than other parts of town. But that's besides the point. Someone up there's doing their job. To me, that's more important than people-appeal.

Similarly, are there any controversies involving the Las Pinas city government? How do they compare to the rest of Manila's politicians? I have to ask because I haven't heard anything about them at all. To me, it sounds like they're too busy doing their job. Here's their website:

http://www.geocities.com/laspinascity/
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 25th, 2008 at 06:01 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Well if the most of the replies of this thread is a reflection of what the Pinoy feels then there is no hope. Other than a few positive replies it seems that everyone just wants out and only care about themselves. Self sacrifice means you may not benefit but the next generation may start seeing the benefits of your sacrifice, I think that's what nationalism would bring to the country. As Jun said people in the Philippines think that money is picked on trees when they go abroad, the truth of the matter is that it isn't and you learn to survive without the help of others ass they have lives of their own. Frankly, I would rather be living in the Philippines and taking care of my father-in-laws orchard but I have responsibilities that I can't leave. Boydapa says the Philippines is a country of rich, powerful and corrupt-you have the power of a vote to make those changes. Start from the barangays on up to the mayors office and vote for the people who will do the job. Stop electing people who thrash projects of the previous barangay captain, mayor, or president just because it wasn't their idea. I have seen some people have good projects that get abandoned because the next person wanted to get credit for the new project, all that does is start everything from step one all over again and waste money. The problem is a lot of people want someone that will come into office and change things over night, that won't happen it took 60 some years to F'up everything and it will take just as long to fix it. The question is are you willing to sacrifice your lifetime so that the next generations can benefit? From what I see the Philippines is at a crossroads and it's up to it's people to decide where they want the future of the country to go.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Well if the most of the replies of this thread is a reflection of what the Pinoy feels then there is no hope. Other than a few positive replies it seems that everyone just wants out and only care about themselves.
    Maybe and may be not.

Those who want out but come back and invest their hard earned money aboard ( purchase house and lot, vehicles, send their children here and open up businesses). They are the OFWs

Now, those who want out for good.Those are immigrants..

Members of low income families (low income, middle class) tend to stay in the country and invest whatever they have in the country. Ipapadala sa pamilya US dolyar, riyal, dirham, euro, Hongkong dollar, Singaporean dollar, dinar nila.. The bulk of the $14 billion dollars remitted in the philippines came from this type of OFW. (in fact most of the new real estate-hindi condo, vehicle, construction, electronic purchases came from these group)

Members/families with upper middle class income and with high income tend to leave the country permanently and build there homes and invest in their adopted land.

This is a phenomenon that I want to understand.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eismann View Post
    Sa mga umalis na at mga aalis pa, wag nyo lang kalimutang bumalik dito ha....dalhin nyo din lahat ng pera at mga talinong nakuha nyo pag balik.

Tatanda din kayo and where else will you be very welcome pag tanda mo kundi dito din sa bayang sinilangan mo. Malamig yata sa America at Canada, baka lalong pahirapan kayo ng arthritis nyo dun, he-he-he
    opo....

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Maybe and may be not.

Those who want out but come back and invest their hard earned money aboard ( purchase house and lot, vehicles, send their children here and open up businesses). They are the OFWs

Now, those who want out for good.Those are immigrants..

Members of low income families (low income, middle class) tend to stay in the country and invest whatever they have in the country. Ipapadala sa pamilya US dolyar, riyal, dirham, euro, Hongkong dollar, Singaporean dollar, dinar nila.. The bulk of the $14 billion dollars remitted in the philippines came from this type of OFW. (in fact most of the new real estate-hindi condo, vehicle, construction, electronic purchases came from these group)

Members/families with upper middle class income and with high income tend to leave the country permanently and build there homes and invest in their adopted land.

This is a phenomenon that I want to understand.
    madali lang intindihin to.. for example:

OFW = majority ay skilled workers, malamang hindi lahat ay nag-tapos ng College. karamihan, laborers, construction workers, care-givers, etc..

Immigrant = majority ay skilled workers din (nagka work experience sa Pilipinas) at nag tapos ng College at may degree (graduate ng UP, UST, etc..). usually mga nag trabaho sa Bangko, Lawyers, Nurses, Doctors, etc..

now, kung ikaw ba naman, papayag ka ba na sa Mc Do or sa Shoemart ka mag tatrabaho kahit na College graduate ka?? sa hirap ng buhay sa Pilipinas mula nung early '90s, tingin mo mag sesettle ka nalang sa isang low paying job??

OR, gagamitin mo ang utak mo and the advantage na College graduate ka at maghanap ng trabaho sa ibang bansa para may maipapakain ka sa pamilya mo.

pero nasa tao na iyon, may choice ka naman maging OFW or maging Immigrant. depende nalang talaga sa situation at sa level ng education mo yan eh.

also, tungkol sa mga Immigrants.. you cannot blame us kung bakit kami umalis ng Pilipinas. may mga Immigrant naman (like me) na maganda din ang buhay sa Pilipinas, na nag aaral sa Private school, naka tira sa isang magandang Subdivision (sa Ayala Alabang & BF Homes, Paranaque ako lumaki at tumira dati) at maganda ang trabaho ng nanay ko (she's in the Banking Industry sa Pilipinas ever since the late '70s and also worked at the fukken Palace.. alam niyo yun, yung pugad ng mga aswang..lalo na ngayon!)

pero, since na single parent ang nanay ko at 4 kaming magkapatid nuong araw (kupal kasi ang ama namin, sorry pero doon naging mahirap ang buhay namin.. coz the LACK OF A FATHER). kinailangan niyang mag hanap pa ng ibang opportunity sa labas ng bansa. and she did, she got a job at a bank in New York (forgot the name of the Bank) and they sent her to school and she got another Degree and after a few years, she moved in California and went to school in UC Berkeley and graduated w/ another damn Degree (I dont know what kind of a Degree..maybe in Financing, Banking, etc..) and oh, BTW.. my mom was a graduate, Suma Cum laude .. of the University Of the Philippines.. in Diliman.

so yeah, so my mom was successful here and she re-married to an American (single kasi siya diba!) and not just an American who was a bum, he was an Engineer and was a retired US Navy officer. so may pinag aralan din ang napangasawa ng nanay ko.. so then, pinetition kami dahil alam niya at naintindihan ni puti ang situation namin.

now eto ang tanong ko, naintindihan ba ng gobyerno ng Pilipinas ang situation ng mga mamayanang Pilipino sa atin?? or inintindi lang ng mga Politiko sa atin ang Image nila??

hindi niyo talaga ma be-blame ang mga taong nag Immigrate sa ibang bansa dahil kina-ilangan nilang umalis para sa kapakanan ng PAMILYA nila.

marami akong mga kilala dito na dating Doctor, Nurse, Business owners and even a fukken Mayor (sa isang province) sa Pilipinas na nag migrate dito sa America for some understandable reasons.

blame the government and the way they "govern" our country, not the people who is obviously suffering.

sorry for the rant folks.

aite, peace.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    sabi nga ni gen almonte hindi na natin kelangan ng charismatic, matalino etc na lider basta maayos ang sistema sa gobyerno levelled yun playing field kahit unggoy ang ilagay mo sa malacanan gagana ng maayos yan haha

matagal na yan si john mangun dito sa pinas may buhok pa yan nandito na yan haha

adios patria adorada...you have given me nothing but headaaches...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Stop Pinoy Migration!