New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    anyone into this field? what are its benefits? what's your experience about this? is it more rewarding than say, teaching normal people or same din lang? i dunno, i guess my questions are still a bit too general but i think we can narrow things down as we go.

lemme clarify na rin, this is not a mymanyaks topic. i just need additional stuff to fill up my essay on why i wanna take up an M.A. on Special Education (SPED). :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    akala ko ikaw ang nangangailangan ng special education

j/k

a good friend of mine from school went into the field part-time. he also volunteers for the special olympics. to hear him talk, it's much more rewarding than normal education (he works with Down's and autistic kids). the kids/adults with special needs are people who have usually been ostracized from society and they don't have a lot of people in their corner. they are much more rewarding to teach because every little thing is soo important to them, and they try so hard. plus, their love and adoration for you is so pure, that it really is uplifting.

good luck!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    m54: i think i need it too. hehehe! ;)

anyway, i see. thanks for the input and the encouragement.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I have a "SPECIAL CHILD" who I dearly LOVE.

He is now turning 16 and he is studying at CDIF besides the Children's Hospital in Agham road.

I sense from the teachers of my son the total satisfaction specially during perfomances of their students at special occassions. Medyo sometimes there are special children na makulit and some are really violent, but they(the teachers) are really patient and caring.

Syanga pala, my son may not be able to drive but he owns the 74 Camaro with dual 4 barrel Carters. He cleans and starts it. he also helps me in the mechanical side of things, parang si Mickey Tutle ng Choppers OCC.

I love my KID so much.
    Last edited by turbo; February 13th, 2006 at 08:07 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    wow... :D

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    By the way, nasa Anaheim kami ng March 18 to March 25, Peacock yata. I will bring my whole family, my special child will be with me and I will bring him to Pomona at the end of March for the SWAP Meets.

Good luck for chosen field, the SPECIAL CHILDRED are really special, they bring UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. They are an inspiration.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sa public school system ng Pilipinas, 2 klase and SPED definition lately, one are the kids with high learning capabilities and the other slow learning capabilities.

Yung word the SPED covered the special child - defined before by a taboo word "abno" - and are the slow learners' group.

It would be very easy to teach the fast learners' group kasi they behave and think like an adult...whereas the slow learners' group would require you some patience and diligence....a psychiatric evaluation may be needed to assess if one can really handle/cope up with this "stressful" teaching job.

Like what turbo said...it is the LOVE...that really counts most to handle this situation.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    thanks for the encouragement din turbo. and enjoy the trip there. :D

oh yeah, sa location ko, it's just a location in the gundam anime. it's a long explanation anyway...a bedtime story's worth. heheh.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My field is Special Education. It's rewarding, because special kids are more loving and more in need of loving than regular kids. It's not all roses, though. Just like regular kids, special kids can act up, and the job itself demands mental toughness. It's a lot like nursing that way. That's why most Special Schools have classes that have only five or six Special Kids (depends on their abilities... kids who aren't as problematic can be placed in larger classes).

It also requires creativity and caring. It's not the kind of teaching gig where you "go through the motions" (like most of my college assignments... hehehe) and the kids will either learn or not. It takes commitment and hard work. You're in the classroom for four hours a day, and at the computer writing reports and preparing for the next class the other four.

Not to be negative, sorry! But these are the realities of Special Ed. The work is hard, but the rewards, if you manage to guide one student from what other people regard as a hopeless case to a functioning person, are much greater than for regular teachers. My wife was overjoyed the time that she and the child's therapist (who happened to be a good friend of ours) finally managed to get a child to behave.

My wife taught for five or six years before needing a break (she always had the lowest functioning class at her school). She wants to go back when our daughter is older, though, and she misses her kids terribly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    i too, have a special child (autistic). she is the sweetest child i know. from what i've noticed from her previous and current teachers, they all share common traits; patience, compassion, understanding...just to name a few. they also seem to have relatives who are special, so they could relate. it is one of the most challenging field you'll ever get into, but also the most gratifying.

turbo, let me know when you'll be in the bay area. i would like to meet you and your son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Special Education