New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant be powered up?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, power it up

16 80.00%
  • No, keep it turned off

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hell yes!!! should have open it a loooooooooooooong time ago....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    i don't know what condition that nuclear plant is in but i bet it's in bad shape.
    (mothballed for years, left to deteriorate)

So it would take years and millions of dollars to get it up to operational condition.

Don't know if the govt has the budget for it...

And the environmentalists will be opposing it...
    Use the billions of pesos that the gov't is giving to the poor (P500.00* ?) as power subsidy to rehabilitate the nuclear plant.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

In this time and age,- we should be engaging alternative sources of power.

Nuclear is definitely one of the most viable sources. It's just like electricity during its early stages,- we just need to understand and know how to tame it, and enforce procedures to effect reliable and solid checks and controls....

6220:foryou:

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Use the billions of pesos that the gov't is giving to the poor (P500.00* ?) as power subsidy to rehabilitate the nuclear plant.
    Ya but GMA gets more political mileage by giving away cash

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by flex View Post
    I dont want a Chernobyl type of incident to happen here.
    The BNPP is using an american design reactor vessel in where the reaction is moderated by it's casing design and not by water. The fuel rod design keeps the nuclear fuel from reaching critical by virtue of it's shape.

The russian chernobyl reactor depended on water to keep the reaction in control. If water goes below a certain level and not restored quickly, the reaction turns the water into high pressure steam and fuel itself turns critical very quickly which was part of the reason why the russian design is unsafe and not used outside of soviet controlled countries.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 11th, 2008 at 10:54 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    yes why not. but some questions need to be answered.

do we have the money to rehabilitate the facility???

do we have the expertise to operate it??? or do international laws allow foreigners to operate nuclear facilities in the Philippines???

in the meantime, why dont we explore wind energy. we can put offshore wind farms in any of the 7,100 islands in the country.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    yes why not. but some questions need to be answered.
    do we have the money to rehabilitate the facility???
    yes.. unfortunately it just all goes to the pockets of the politicians

do we have the expertise to operate it??? or do international laws allow foreigners to operate nuclear facilities in the Philippines???
    Experts can be hired, laws can be changed.

in the meantime, why dont we explore wind energy. we can put offshore wind farms in any of the 7,100 islands in the country.
    A shotgun effort in trying to solve a problem will only result in an answer saying we need to have a more focused attempt at solving the problem.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    That, or if not, harness the power of the sun with solar panels. I don't know if the country already has its own solar plant, I'm sure it might be expensive but it's harnessed energy from the sun. No problem with environmentalists, and at least the heat we all complain about can be used productively rather than simply go to waste.

It might cost the same anyway to repair that facility or build the solar plant, I think...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    That, or if not, harness the power of the sun with solar panels. I don't know if the country already has its own solar plant, I'm sure it might be expensive but it's harnessed energy from the sun. No problem with environmentalists, and at least the heat we all complain about can be used productively rather than simply go to waste.

It might cost the same anyway to repair that facility or build the solar plant, I think...
    Building a commercial solar power plant based around photovoltaics is not yet practical in cost. It would be more practical to build a solar thermal power station.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    people need to start realizing the reality of fossil fuels and nuclear energy. people think of it like, oh there's a faultline here, too risky, land will be cut in half, rector will go kaboom. right...

well, before kaboom happens, there should be a trigger first and in the case of nuclear power, neutron/alpha particle. uranium was dug up using various explosives, excavation equipments and other stuff that could physically degrede it. basically there are 2 usable forms of nuclear fuels:
    weapon/arsenal grade and reactor grade. these 2 need to undergo several changes before they could be turned to the other state(just like what north korea and iraq is doing, switcheroo when UN comes inspecting). ever heard of any nuclear disaster in japan? they even plan on having independent micro reactors on every block.

we have a lot of intelligent people around here that might even tinker about and innovate on this particular technology. if people are still unsure of the reactor in bataan, why not call for our japanese neighbors to build one for us?(i'm pertaining to toshiba who built the alaska micro reactor) afterall, we could have an updated structure for further safety if people are too nervous. well just my 2 cents
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Should we consider powering up the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant?