New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Well if you force them to pull down prices beyond what they want and decide to leave us, then we are screwed. High price is better than no gas at all. Price controls never work, you have to leave the supplier and the consumer to sort this out. If consumers are not buying enough they will have to lower the prices down.

No one is forcing them to pull down prices beyond what is justifiable.

Once and for all they have to open their books.

There was an instance, the DOE Sec. was exasperated with the answers of the oil companies during a meeting regarding their computations...and as to why they are slow in implementing rollbacks...

So it means, may tinatago sila...

Oil is an essential commodity.Nabawasan man pero marami talagang bumibili. kaya nga sinasamantala nila e. they know they control the market. its hard to find alternatives. people are forced to buy even if prices are not in favor to the consumers.

Obviously, at these prices marami pa ring bumibili so that meas the price is acceptable to the market.
    Obviously, Its not acceptable kaya nga nagre-reklamo marami.Nagpapa-rollback nga e.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vito corleone View Post
    it's a wrong analogy, bro. . .nothing unethical about that
    i already explained myself above.

and i'll explain further...

If it is unethical for oil companies to profit in times of economic hardship,

then it is also unethical for individuals to make too much money and have too much disposable income in times of economic hardship.

If an individual has a lot of money to spend on car-pimping in times of economic hardship, then it is unethical too.

that's my point.

And if there you say it's not unethical to pimp your car in times of economic hardship,

then what's unethical about oil companies making money in times of economic hardship?

---

the sentiment i get from oil company haters is this:

Dapat pare-pareho tayo naghihirap. Hindi pwede kami lang ang naghihirap at kayo nagpapakasarap.

so typical of pinoy crab mentality.

Instead of figuring out a way to improve, drag everyone down nalang... para pantay pantay lahat.
    Last edited by uls; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Manila times
    October 23, 2008

[SIZE=4]Filipinos Shortchanged on Fuel Price Rollbacks
    NEDA sees under recoveries for consumers
    [/SIZE]

Darwin G. Amojelar

THE National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) said o[SIZE=4]il companies have been shortchanging Filipinos[/SIZE] with regard to their fuel price cuts, adding retailers should implement a bigger reduction. Based on [SIZE=4]computations the agency made, diesel prices should be at least P34.32 a liter while gasoline prices should fall to P40.95 a liter.[/SIZE] The NEDA estimates are based on a world market price of $70 a barrel and a foreign exchange rate of P48.28 to the US dollar.

“It is now the [SIZE=4]consumers who are experiencing under recovery,” [/SIZE]Socioeconomic Planning Sec. and NEDA Director-General Ralph Recto said, adding the [SIZE=4]under recoveries are huge.[/SIZE]

He noted that with lower oil prices “there would be pressure from the transport sector to reduce prices, which will benefit the riding public.
    The NEDA chief said a further reduction in pump prices would “benefit consumers as it would also affect prices of other goods leading to better consumption during the holiday season.”

Need to say more....

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    The greatest threat to a government's stability is an angry populace.

Syempre govt would come out with statements like that.

It shifts the people's anger away from the govt and towards oil companies.

Makes the govt look like it is on the side of the people.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    i already explained myself above.

and i'll explain further...

If it is unethical for oil companies to profit in times of economic hardship,

then it is also unethical for individuals to make too much money and have too much disposable income in times of economic hardship.

If an individual has a lot of money to spend on car-pimping in times of economic hardship, then it is unethical too.

that's my point.

And if there you say it's not unethical to pimp your car in times of economic hardship,

then what's unethical about oil companies making money in times of economic hardship?
    they are simply not the same thing!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    That's intellectual dishonesty.

Again, nobody here is saying that the oil companies can't profit. But they have to temper their profit, or moderate their greed in the face of today's trying times.

And it's insulting to say that the Big 3 critics have crab mentality. Actually, I'm a devil's advocate for unpopular causes myself, but there simply isn't a valid justification for today's fuel prices. Economists from NEDA are the most unbiased persons I know. (They actually came up with a "Tell Everything" statement on the NBN-ZTE scandal remember?). To diss their findings, simply because they're government economists and should side with government to be popular, is narrow-minded thinking.

We don't need prodding from Pandak's minions to make up our minds re: gas prices.

The sentiment I get from Big 3 "defenders" is that they place profit as their God, beyond everything else, that gross, unbridled profiteering is ok even during trying times, and such is the natural way of the world. That its ok to eat cake while your countrymen are starving and can't even eat a single loaf of bread. Tumagal ba sa puwesto yung mga ganitong tao?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sir uls...take time to reflect..medyo going astray na yon arguments mo.

Bottom line is....adjustments in price has to be made....a corresponding rollback of gas prices is the most prudent thing to do....

Otherwise, its bordering on profiteering.

Oil is a socially-sensitive commodity and has a MULTIPLIER effect on the economy. And the hardest hit are not the car enthusiasts who puts bling on each of their cars, etc...but the common man.

In economic trying times, those in the lower income bracket is the hardest hit. And we have multitudes of them.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    That's intellectual dishonesty.

Again, nobody here is saying that the oil companies can't profit. But they have to temper their profit, or moderate their greed in the face of today's trying times.

And[SIZE=3] it's insulting to say that the Big 3 critics have crab mentality.[/SIZE] Actually, I'm a devil's advocate for unpopular causes myself, but there simply isn't a valid justification for today's fuel prices. [SIZE=3]Economists from NEDA are the most unbiased persons I know.[/SIZE] (They actually came up with a "Tell Everything" statement on the NBN-ZTE scandal remember?). To diss their findings, simply because they're government economists and should side with government to be popular, is narrow-minded thinking.

We don't need prodding from Pandak's minions to make up our minds re: gas prices.

The sentiment I get from [SIZE=4]Big 3 "defenders" is that they place profit as their God, beyond everything else, that gross, unbridled profiteering is ok even during trying times, and such is the natural way of the world.[/SIZE] That its ok to eat cake while your countrymen are starving and can't even eat a single loaf of bread. [SIZE=3]Tumagal ba sa puwesto yung mga ganitong tao?[/SIZE]

Beautiful!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ---------------------------
    Last edited by uls; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Greedy oil companies.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
rollback!!!