New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    OK ganito po yun...

Let's assume that our colleges and universities are world class (para wala na argument)

Tapos?

We would be producing a lot world class graduates schoolyear after schoolyear... thousands and thousands of them...

highly educated, highly intelligent...

BUT WHERE DO THEY GO?

Sa abroad.

SO SINO MAKIKINABANG SA PINAG ARALAN NILA?

Hindi ang Pinas.

The Koreans come here, learn english, go back to Korea and make Samsung and Hyundai two of the most recognizeable companies and brand names in the world.

see my point?

So our schools are good. But if the products of our schools do not benefit the homeland, what's the freakin point?!

Babalik at babalik parin ako sa lagi ko sinasabi...

Kelangan natin ng PUHUNAN.

Tingnan nyo ang nagagawa ng puhunan... tingnan nyo ang Dubai.

Who cares if they don't have enough domestic manpower and talent and skill and knowhow to turn a desert into brand new, shiny, glowing city...

THEY GOT CAPITAL. THEY GOT BILLIONS IN PETRODOLLARS AND THEY ARE SPENDING IT.

And that huge capital spending has attracted manpower and talent and skill and knowhow from all over the world.

Ask anyone in Dubai --- heck, everyone is there... even Donald Trump is there...

This is the only reality in this freakin world: MONEY TALKS. And people listen when money talks.

Everything else is pseudo-reality. Everything else is background noise.
    Last edited by uls; May 4th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    With good graduates we might be able to replace those freaks in the government and finally we can put the country in order.

Doing that we might be able to convince local and foreign businessmen that without those freakin corrupt politicians we can have their freakin money.

No matter what the doomsayers say, the Philippines is still a potential freakin market with 88 million people.

This is an opportunity therefore for freakin investors to make some freakin money...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    * uls,

yes, we really do need capital and somehow the government must make conducting business in pinas easy. also, if the conditions here make conducting academic research really hard, then our really good graduates will just find ways to go abroad. sayang naman kung mabubulok sila dito di ba?

* jpdm,

88 million is bad for a small country like ours..

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    * jpdm,

88 million is bad for a small country like ours..
    For Malthusian Economics yes..

But for investors and producers.....no.....

potential market.........

OT

I have a hunch one of the guessonomics statistics ito....

14 million OFW plus million TNTs in Italy, Spain, Middle East, Japan and Sabah....88 million pa rin? Yung death rate-birth rate....those who die everyday other than natural death (victims of accidents, crime etc)

absolute 88 million pa rin?

Have you gone to the provinces almost empty in certain regions even in LUZOn....

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    OK ganito po yun...

Let's assume that our colleges and universities are world class (para wala na argument)

Tapos?

We would be producing a lot world class graduates schoolyear after schoolyear... thousands and thousands of them...

highly educated, highly intelligent...

BUT WHERE DO THEY GO?

Sa abroad.

SO SINO MAKIKINABANG SA PINAG ARALAN NILA?

Hindi ang Pinas.

The Koreans come here, learn english, go back to Korea and make Samsung and Hyundai two of the most recognizeable companies and brand names in the world.

see my point?

So our schools are good. But if the products of our schools do not benefit the homeland, what's the freakin point?!

Babalik at babalik parin ako sa lagi ko sinasabi...

Kelangan natin ng PUHUNAN.

Tingnan nyo ang nagagawa ng puhunan... tingnan nyo ang Dubai.

Who cares if they don't have enough domestic manpower and talent and skill and knowhow to turn a desert into brand new, shiny, glowing city...

THEY GOT CAPITAL. THEY GOT BILLIONS IN PETRODOLLARS AND THEY ARE SPENDING IT.

And that huge capital spending has attracted manpower and talent and skill and knowhow from all over the world.

Ask anyone in Dubai --- heck, everyone is there... even Donald Trump is there...

This is the only reality in this freakin world: MONEY TALKS. And people listen when money talks.

Everything else is pseudo-reality. Everything else is background noise.
    The stark reality is the Philippines does not have a highly-coveted natural resource like oil. So, there's no easy money coming. In order to survive, the Philippines will have to do it the old fashioned way: hard work and creativeness. The problem is, how? I'm sure there are government think-tanks thinking precisely just that.

More capital? Forget it. So long as corruption is rampant, not many with the means will want to invest in the Philippines.

At this stage, dreams of the Philippines being competitive against other Asian neighbors in anything are just that, dreams. The only recourse left for the Philippines is to compete within itself. At least, that might achieve a measure of self-sufficiency. PGMA mandating local government to buy local stuff is a start. Smaller dreams and expectations? Sure. But, each small success achieved is a stepping stone to a potentially bigger success.

That's why I mentioned in another thread that people should stop comparing the Philippines to its more fortunate neighbors because all it does is raise expectations excessively. And should people from these countries make fun of the Philippines, take the abuse and use it as the motivating factor to get out of the rut. Revenge is a very valid motivator.

That's why the educational system needs to remain competitive. For now, many graduates are finding employment abroad. But, there will come a time when they'll be needed at home.

Add: Creativeness and opportunities can come from any direction. Take my 12-yr old daughter. She found out she has a talent for making clay sculptures (among her other talents). She started making little clay animals/figures, painting them, used our toaster oven to turn them into ceramic figurines, and attached them to key chains. She's selling them to fellow students in school for $2 apiece. In a short time, she has over $100 net savings. My wife, being the Pinay she is, wanted to take the money. But, I stopped her and let the kid manage her own finances. Our kid now has a little booklet detailing expenditures, records of customers, the most popular figurines, etc. Research? There's the internet. Not bad for a spoiled, 12-yr old brat.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 5th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I used Dubai as an example of the power of capital spending.

The Phils. is different from Dubai.

But capital spending has the same effect in any country.

It makes a country prosper.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    SUCs in the provinces are good source of talents (agriculture and vocational courses). The government should tap top graduates there and give them contracts...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I saw on ANC, some korean prefer here to avoid their ROTC.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    SUCs in the provinces are good source of talents (agriculture and vocational courses). The government should tap top graduates there and give them contracts...
    Ironic, we always have problems with investors.

like recently Hanjin shipyard scandal.

news link

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    I used Dubai as an example of the power of capital spending.

The Phils. is different from Dubai.

But capital spending has the same effect in any country.

It makes a country prosper.
    OT
    Dubai has the benefit of oil money directly or indirectly to power its diversification. The Philippines has what? Last I heard, it was agriculture. But, whatever advantage there was slipped away years ago. Personally, I think the Philippines should've stuck to its agricultural roots since that's what the geography of the Philippines is good for.

Putting my foot in my own mouth.... Look at Vietnam. I wouldn't have imagined it'd be the 2nd largest coffee exporter in the world. Granted, Vietnam has its own oil reserves. But, that country stuck with what it's good at, agriculture. It's my feelings the Philippines should've done the same. Maybe diversify a bit, but stick to its roots.

Back to Topic:
    The Philippine educational system has to keep turning out skilled/educated graduates because quitting is simply not an option.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Pinas: Learning Center of Asia?