New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I go for the mandatory pre-school education for our kids.

Prep school helps alot in preparing kids for the primary school level (elementary level).

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    bumping this thread because I 'am actually writing a report for a committee I am not even a member to start with. WOW hirap talaga ng trabaho. pero mas mahirap pag walang trabaho

anyway, lots of valid points here. one thing I noticed:

Phlippines: less years in school, low quality (daw)

Singapore or Malaysia: more years in school, high quality

i am not saying number of years in school is directly proportional to quality. i deemed those two factors as independent of each other.

so agrabyado pala tayo sa quantity at quality. imo, the quantity is easier to deal with than the quality.

so if the proposal comes into reality, at par tayo sa quantity so quality na lang problema. hehehehe

lets face it. ndi na rason na magaling tayong mga pinoy etc kasi magaling nating ang mga kapitbahay sa SEA. botswana na lang kapantay natin sa number of years basic education. In college/university, we spend two years studying general education courses. that is basically less years studying major or specialized courses, right?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Haha. To think its the same administration that jacked up the matriculation fee of UP from 300 pesos per unit to 1000 (or 1500 if you're "rich"), bringing up the previously 5k+ tuition to a whopping 20k+++, AND with a clause that causes it to rise every year.

All the while the "premier state university" keeps losing ground to its privately owned rivals. Soon pati presyo parehas na!

Ganyan talaga sa pinas... mas importante ang bakasyon ng iilang politiko kaysa sa kalusugan at edukasyon ng 80 million na pinoy

Oo nga eh. sana ibalik sa 300/unit ulit. Para mas marami pa makapag-aral sa peyups.

Back then, I can pay my tuition fixing computers of my teachers and classmates. hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Among the interests of the scientific community this week are climate change and encouraging technopreneurship, improving the quality of life of aging citizens, promoting studies in astronomy and improving math and science education.

The activities enlist the active participation of young Filipinos to encourage careers in science and technology.

Officials of the DOST and the state university last week said the country needs at least 8,000 people with doctorate degrees to improve our global competitiveness.

They issued the call after the International Institute for Management Development placed Manila 43rd among 55 countries in its competitiveness survey.

The Manila Bulletin has reported that with a population of 88 million, the country needed at least 7,564 doctors of sciences to match Japan’s standard of one doctor of philosophy (PhD) holder for 11,621 people and approximately 13,454 PhD graduates to match the US standard of one doctor of science for every 6,533 persons.

The estimates came from Dr. Ceasar Saloma, dean of the UP College of Science, the paper said.

Saloma said PhD holders help create an “empowering” environment that enables students and entrepreneurs to understand how nature and systems work, to help them invent processes and innovate production and economy.

A chronic shortage of scientists and technological resource hobbles our efforts at economic development and social growth.

Emphasis is given to courses that offer quick employment and handsome pay, and little to long-term programs that are critical to the national life.

The paucity of math and science teachers and majors also retards our global competitiveness and impairs the quality of education.

The international institute said that lower productivity and efficiency, as well as declining quality of education, has made the Philippines the least competitive in Southeast Asia, falling three steps lower from last year’s ranking at 40th.

Placing science and technology higher on the national hall of priorities will help create a bigger Filipino scientific community, improve the national enterprise and inspire the young to live the life and emulate the career of outstanding scientists like Dr. Teodulo Topacio Jr.

From Manila Times
    July 20, 2009
    Editorial:Dr. Teodulo Topacio, Jr.
    The country needs more college degree holders in science and technology. Post graduate degree holders (M.A./M.S., PhD, Post-doctoral) are also badly needed by the country to compete with other countries.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    oookaaay

so pag naproduce na natin ang mga graduates na yan, mag aabroad naman sila

wala din

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    oookaaay

so pag naproduce na natin ang mga graduates na yan, mag aabroad naman sila

wala din

sir,

depende rin. yung iba dyan napamahal na sa Pinas. may ilan akong kakilala na after mag-aral abroad, bumalik dito para ma-advance ang s&t.

*jpdm,

meron ding balik scientist program.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Iyan naman ang challenge sa ating gobyerno,- keep them decently and profitably employed here....

8303:dishwash:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Iyan naman ang challenge sa ating gobyerno,- keep them decently and profitably employed here....

In a system that cannot even pay teacher's salaries on time, you expect the government to find ways to pay scientists and other similar high science degree holders a "decent/profitable" employment locally?

I doubt it.

Anyone on the street knows you can get paid five times or more for the same technical/science related job abroad as compared to local employment.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    there are some people who actually care more of learning than money. the academe was never meant to be that lucrative.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Its the quality....and how can you produce quality education when

the teacher to student ratio in the class is 1:50-60
    no decent classroom facilities
    books that are filled with errors
    unmotivated teachers due to low pay
    cynical teachers laboring for non-academic school works--eg. preparation and presentations for visiting VIPs

and that is just for the elementary public school system.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Phil. Education: Mandatory Pre-School, 5 years in College