New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    MVP cuts ties with Ateneo, leaves questions for sports program | InterAKTV

MANILA - (UPDATED 4:07 p.m.) Manuel V. Pangilinan, chairman of Philex Mining Corporation and the PLDT Group, has parted ways with the Ateneo De Manila University, citing irreconcilable differences with his alma mater.

In a letter addressed to Ateneo president Fr. Jett Villarin, SJ, Pangilinan said his decision to disengage from the university - where he was a key supporter of the academic and sports programs - stemmed from the school's opposition to mining and the Reproductive Health Bill.

Pangilinan also chairs TV5, for which InterAksyon.com is the online news portal.

He was former chairman of the Jesuit university's Board of Trustees. Among other things, Ateneo has credited Pangilinan for "the MVP Center for Student Leadership and the new Rizal Library (and) many programs of excellence he has supported at the Ateneo de Manila are student leadership programs, Ateneo sports, Ateneo Debate Society and the Ateneo College Glee Club."

The news comes as a shock for fans of the university’s sports program, for which the businessman has been the No. 1 supporter. His entry as the basketball team’s top patron has coincided with a return to glory for the Blue Eagles, which has won five UAAP championships in the past 10 years, including the last four.

With financial support from Pangilinan’s companies, Ateneo has been able to attract top basketball talent from all over the country. The Blue Eagles also regularly hold training camps abroad to develop their players.

The two Ateneo coaches that led the team to the title, Joel Banal and Norman Black, were also employed by Pangilinan’s Talk ‘N Text squad in the PBA during and after their tenure with the Blue Eagles. Black is set to give up Ateneo coaching duties after the season to take over the Tropang Texters.

Former Blue Eagle Doug Kramer took to Twitter to ask a question playing on the minds of many alumni and fans of the squad. “Wow, so MVP ‘completely disengages’ himself from Ateneo. No more coach Norman and MVP next year. Curious what will be of the sports programs,” wrote Kramer.

The full transcript of the letter, which was posted online by Denis Lucindo, Philex vice president for business development, is as follows:

I note your email of 21st September.

I read last night the Jesuit Paper which Fr Jojo handed to me last Sunday, and have come to the conclusion that this document, as drafted, is irreconcilable with our corporate position on mining and for me, more importantly, my conviction as a Filipino.

Let me just highlight a few of my major concerns – by all means not complete or exhaustive:

1. I do not agree with some of the CBCP’s pronouncements, including its recent stance on the RH Bill. At times, I believe the CBCP has taken positions contrary to the interest of our country. It should earn its rightful place in the national debating table by showing tangibly and significantly its concern for the poor and the corrupt, and sharing the burden with business and government the enormous task of nation-building – including the appropriate moral formation of our people and our leaders.

2. The importance of mining – expressed in the development of natural wealth and national patrimony – is enshrined in our Constitution. That value as a tool for national progress is expressed in the Mining Act. For the Church to say otherwise contradicts a very basic document of our people and frustrates the people’s constitutional will, values, and preference – plus the right to improve economic welfare – 'to use these talents and multiply them, not bury them' – to use your own words.

3. Correlatively, I’ve always firmly believed precisely in that Biblical dictum on talents – be they tangible or intangible – to improve lives. Failure to manage one’s affairs – such as weak institutions, failed regulatory agencies, corrupt enforcements – do not mean a particular business is per se evil, as suggested about mining in that Jesuit Paper. It is man’s frailty – Filipino frailty to be exact – that should be blamed, not the business. I’ve already pointed out the examples of good mining practices elsewhere. Indeed, the Filipino’s failure to manage well is shown in almost all facets of our lives – poor airports, poor sewerage, unclean air, mediocre economic growth. The list is long. Our preponderant task as a people is simply to do better – to strive for excellence. Isn’t that the Ateneo motto?

4. As to the Church’s duty towards creation and human ecology, I submit that it is our first duty to understand its origins and workings truly. This means subscribing to, and encouraging, relentless scientific study of the universe and planet Earth – hardly a matter which the Church persecutors of Galileo can be proud of. Every human attempt at progress I dare say will have some impact 'at the expense of the environment' – even the building and maintenance of places of worship and of education. There should be no debate here, correct?

5. The Jesuit Paper reflects in parts, ignorance of the terms of EO79 and the Implementing Rules and Regulations. We should leave that to another paper to dissect. The ultimate questions for me are:

(i) Do the EO/IRR violate existing laws and the Constitution?

(ii) Do they violate the call for preferential use of land and resources for mining, for purposes of agriculture, tourism, or what have you – preferential rights articulated and protected by our Constitution?

In any event, to the extent that the terms of the Paper are non-negotiable, and do run contrary to what our laws and Constitution say and to what I believe in – that any business, even mining, can be made to serve man and God provided it is managed well and responsibly - this makes it difficult for my conscience to accept the Paper as currently drafted.

I must say that I am extremely distressed and saddened by this recent event. And in the context of two other gruesome incidents (i.e., plagiarism and the first mining blow-up) in the recent past, I believe we have come to the irretrievable point where it is best and appropriate to draw the line in the sand, to conclude that we have little or no common interest, and to say that I’d look like a fool helping an institution which opposes my conviction diametrically and unequivocally (“non-negotiable”). The logical consequences of this are: (i) each of us can pursue our advocacies freely without having to be sensitive with regard each other’s feelings; (ii) my complete and total disengagement from the Ateneo – something which, after reflection, I must confess I welcome with some relief at this stage.

Time to call it a day.

M.V.P.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    MANILA - Ateneo De Manila University appears to have been caught off guard by Philex Mining Corporation chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan's withdrawal of support for the Jesuit-run school.

Sought for comment on Pangilinan's letter to Ateneo President Fr. Jett Villarin, SJ, Ateneo officials said the school's president was "surprised" by the spread of the businessman's email online, apparently even before Villarin had personally read the same. Philex vice president for business development, Denis Lucinda, had posted the contents of the letter over Twitter and Facebook.

In the letter, which Villarin acknowledged having received, Pangilinan said he was parting ways with his alma mater because of "irreconcilable" differences over mining and the Reproductive Health Bill.

Jesuit-run Ateneo has been at the forefront of civil society opposition to mining, and is likewise a key ally of the Catholic Church in bucking the RH Bill.

Ateneo was still crafting a statement as of this posting, but Villarin acknowledged to InterAksyon.com that he was "sad" over Pangilinan's email.

Pangilinan has been a key supporter of academic and sports programs at the Ateneo, where he obtained his college degree.
    Ateneo caught off guard by MVP withdrawal of support - InterAksyon.com

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    this bit of news threw a lot of us loyola heights peeps in a looper. too bad things had to end this way.

any way you put it, i'm grateful for the steadfast support he has given the blue and white community for so long. with out him, i'm pretty sure ateneo wouldn't have gotten out of its forgettable athletic rut ( of which i very much lived).

still, we believe. obf!
    Last edited by baludoy; September 21st, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Back in the 80s and early 90s, Universities didn't need corporate money to deveop its sports programs. Things have changed since then. Nowadays, tycoons-helping-universities abound -- Cojuangcos with DLSU, Sy with NU, and MVP with AdMU. With MVP out of the picture, Ateneo may have a difficult time defending their championship title.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    paano yun building named after him?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Ateneo doesn't need infidel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^I think the name will stay as it is. This saddens me a lot. Nobody expected this really.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    Ateneo doesn't need infidel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    An "infidel" with very deep pocket. The infidel part, depends on who you ask

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    sometime when the cbcp says no, it should also come with a convincing explanation and alternative solution.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroFD View Post
    Back in the 80s and early 90s, Universities didn't need corporate money to deveop its sports programs. Things have changed since then. Nowadays, tycoons-helping-universities abound -- Cojuangcos with DLSU, Sy with NU, and MVP with AdMU. With MVP out of the picture, Ateneo may have a difficult time defending their championship title.
    just a little correction bro, danding cojuangco has been supporting dlsu since the 80's. i remember he got a slew of national basketball players to suit up for dlsu back then like teddy alfarero (+), aflie almario (+), derek pumaren, etc. he just had a falling out w/ dlsu a few years back that's why he withdrew his support from his alma mater. but they're back in good graces again resulting to his return to the dlsu fold this season.
    Last edited by baludoy; September 22nd, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
MVP parts ways with Ateneo 'completely', cites irreconcilable differences over RH and