New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I saw on the news that the government slashed Tax significantly...

but too late it seems...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyRider View Post
    [COLOR=blue]If am not mistaken, the first office of Intel was in South Super Hi-way near Buendia pa nga diba? Nakakahinayang at kawawa naman ang mga employees lalu na yung mga matatagal na sa kanila. [/COLOR]

Would you believe even in Accenture, formerly Andersen, another multi-national company here in Pinas has chopped out 600 employees from the low-ranking up to managerial positions! Although same with Intel, they were given separation pays naman. But still, madadagdagan pa rin daw ang matatanggal sa trabaho.

Tapos ngayon magtataas pa ng singil sa kuryente! Haaaay!
    I can't remember. All I know is that Intel has been present in the Philippines since I started computing way back in the mid-80s. Closing the last Intel plant ends their 20+ year presence. As the primary export product of the Philippines are electronic chips, we might see more people loose their jobs. Texas Instruments laid of 400-500 workers recently - and the number could increase.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    And the sad part is I don't think those jobs will ever come back. Once things are ok again Intel will shift those jobs to Vietnam (cheaper). Bottomline, the Philippines is a sucky place to do business...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    And the sad part is I don't think those jobs will ever come back. Once things are ok again Intel will shift those jobs to Vietnam (cheaper). Bottomline, the Philippines is a sucky place to do business...
    They have shifted to Vietnam - and China.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just like killing the goose that lays the golden egg, malaking factor talaga yung tax holiday kaya maraming nag invest dito sa Pinas, although may tax holiday sila marami naman tayong napapakinabangan yung technology nakikita natin, yung mga employees na katulad kong nagbabayad ng tax (tapos nanakawin lang ) at bumibili kaya nabubuhay din yung ibang business,

I can imagine maraming small business at apartments ang malulugi sa cavite area pag nagsara na Intel, yung bilas ko dun nag work around 700k yata makukuha nya balak nya magtayo ng 2 door apartment at bumili na lang ng van (second hand) pampasada or rent

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    the worldwide economic crisis is just a convenient background, but the philippine sgovernment is to blame for intel's decision to close down their plant here in the philippines. . .intel has hinted on doing this even before the first pieces of dominoes started falling in corporate america last year. . .operating cost was their reason for intending to transfer their operations to china

what did our government do? nothing. . .they could have done something, for the interest of the workers in intel, that may have influenced the company not to totally close down their operations here

wala naman kasing pakialam ke juan de la cruz yang mga tao sa gobyerno as long as their pockets are bulging. . .

i remember darth pandak's baseless statement late last year that the philippines will not be affected by the economic crisis because blah blah blah. . .today's headline at inquirer says' "gov't fears 60,000 IT jobs will be lost"

7. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    True but in case some of you don't remember or don't know, Intel had a much larger presence years ago than that of the "small" plant they would be closing soon. Did any of you know that the Pentium 4 chip was, well, researched and manufactured here in the Philippines? They had a huge presence here: from a research and testing center to a huge wafer manufacturing plant. Anyways let me continue my story on why we may trace Intel's closure on the Cavite local government.

Some time back, local government of Cavite took an interest in what Intel was earning. Cutting the long story short, they decided to tell Intel that the chip giant owed the local government of Cavite millions of pesos in taxes. Intel countered that they shouldn't pay the amount being asked for because they have an agreement with the Philippine government that they (Intel) are operating with a tax holiday. Meaning they are except from certain (heck may be even more!) taxes.

The Cavite government won't budge even if Intel showed them proof that the chip giant does really operate with special privileges in terms of taxes. Intel took the case to court and to the BOI. Well, we all know how "fast" our judiciary system operates here so the case just sat on the case. Same with the BOI which (I think) did nothing. As the case draged on, the local government of Cavite decided to put interest on the amount that they are asking Intel to pay. So, the chip giant finally put their foot down and told the government that they'd rather close the plant than to pay the allegedly exorbitant amount of taxes that was being asked. Our government didn't do anything, much less the local government of Cavite.

So, Intel scaled down in a big way their operations in Cavite by closing perhaps their largest wafer manufacturing plant and moving the plant elsewhere. So where did our government end up? Poorer by millions and a lot of people loosing their jobs, a few of which are my IT and engineer friends.

Fast forward today. Yes, Intel is scaling down it's operations worldwide due to the global economic crisis but what if their huge wafer manufacturing plant was still here? Maybe the chip giant will just be scaling down operations, not closing down the whole barn.

I just read newspaper a while ago and part of it is the Intel layoff.

It said that the mother company in US talked to the manager in Intel cavity asking for a new place to relocate because the infrastructure in cavity is not that good. they "Intel cavity" found a place in laguna that is fit enough , but things did not happen they did not pursue to relocate and ended up in shutting down

as far as i can see they just use the recession in US to cover things and to move from one place (china and vietnam) because our government really sucks

government did nothing for this , we are just a sitting duck waiting to be cook for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    [SIZE=1]And the sad part is I don't think those jobs will ever come back. Once things are ok again Intel will shift those jobs to Vietnam (cheaper).[/SIZE] [SIZE=5]Bottomline, the Philippines is a sucky place to do business...[/SIZE]

as a business people, I AGREE! kaya sari-sari store lang ang nilagay ko para di pansinin at maliit ang capitalization.. pag ginamitan ko ng big-words like "trading" or "general merchandise", "incorporated", "corporation", "supermarket/store" then bukod sa barangay, may BIR, local government pang maghaharas sa yo....

ok lang kung barangay, kasi since malapit sila and yun mga tao na araw araw mong ka-transaction.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jansky View Post
    I just read newspaper a while ago and part of it is the Intel layoff.

It said that the mother company in US talked to the manager in Intel cavity asking for a new place to relocate because the infrastructure in cavity is not that good. they "Intel cavity" found a place in laguna that is fit enough , but things did not happen they did not pursue to relocate and ended up in shutting down

as far as i can see they just use the recession in US to cover things and to move from one place (china and vietnam) because our government really sucks

government did nothing for this , we are just a sitting duck waiting to be cook for dinner
    May punto po kayo dyan! Alam ko rin nga na matagal na nilang gusto umalis dito sa Pinas kaya lang nagkaron lang rin sila ng magandang dahilan para umalis.

Nakakahiya sa mga investors natin dito sa Pinas kase nilalamon lang ng mga corrupt sa gobyerno ang mga investments nila sa atin.

Kung tutuusin, ang gawang Pinoy, for example, di hamak na mas maganda ang quality control kesa sa mga gawang China.

Pero dahil sa payag ang China na mas mura ang labor, dun na lahat halos ginagawa. Name it from A to Z items eh makikita at ginagawa na dun!

Kahit sa Vietnam, mas nag-pipick-up na ang kanilang economy kesa sa atin! One good example na lang is their tourism. Kung tutuusin, sa liit ng bansa nila, mas marami pang pumupuntang mga turista sa kanila kesa sa atin! Nakakahiya na talaga tayo sa mundo.

Napakaganda ng ating bansa at napakayaman sa mga natural resources pero ang mga nagpapatakbo nito ang mga "kalawang" na unti-unting umuubos sa yaman natin. Mga walang kwenta!

Look at what GREED can do to some people!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyRider View Post
    If am not mistaken, the first office of Intel was in South Super Hi-way near Buendia pa nga diba? Nakakahinayang at kawawa naman ang mga employees lalu na yung mga matatagal na sa kanila.
    Yup, I have personally been there and was even able to get into the clean room production areas a few times. It's really a waste of a good potential corporate partnership when the philippine government didn't foster better relations with companies like these.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Intel Ends Presence In Philippines