New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    I'm just wondering if the MILF is willing to risk the possibility that this MOA on the muslim "Ancestral Domain" will incite ordinary civilians into an all-out conflict with them. Up to this point, the MILF has not dealt with any such enemy. But, if you are fighting for your home and your way of living and are pushed against a wall, then I guess people will start arming themselves and try to resolve this decisively if only to preserve what they have.

If you read into what Vice Governor Manny Piñol is saying, he's actually telling his constituents to prepare to fight against the MILF if the situation comes down to it.
    To be honest with you guys expect a blood bath once the non-muslims in mindanao are pushed againts the wall. It happened before it can happen again.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Eh?? I sure hope you were merely joking with this insensitive quote of yours. I don't find this funny at all. I have a lot of friends & relatives who are of draft-age, and describing them as cannon fodder is not a nice thing to say (and I'm being VERY polite).
    I'm sorry for the insensitive remark. That was bad taste on my part.

I'm certainly not joking, knowing too well the horrors of war.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Found this article from abs-cbnnews:

MILF DENIES ILLEGALLY OCCUPYING COTABATO VILLAGES. A spokesman of the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) denied Thursday that the armed group is forcibly or illegally occupying lands in nine villages in five towns of North Cotabato.

Eid Kabalu, a spokesman of the MILF, told ANC's Dateline Philippines that the MILF is not occupying other people's properties in North Cotabato as alleged by reports sent to the government.

"There is no such thing," he said.

Kabalu admitted that there were around 1,500 families displaced in North Cotabato, but said this was due to armed conflict with para-military forces or

Civilian Volunteer Organizations (CVOs) under the control of local officials.

He said "skirmishes" between the MILF and CVOs, particularly in Aleosan, North Cotabato, started as early as July 1, and not after the Supreme Court stopped Monday the scheduled signing the following day of the ancestral domain agreement between government peace negotiators and the MILF.

He also denied the MILF burned houses and engaged in looting in some villages in North Cotabato.

Kabalu said the fighting in Aleosan, North Cotabato is allegedly due to the refusal of local officials and CVOs to submit to the Coordinating Committee on the Cessation of Hostilities (CCCH), which is responsible for implementing the ceasefire between the MILF and the government.

Interior and Local Government Secretary Ronaldo Puno and Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro earlier ordered the MILF to abandon illegally occupied lands in nine barangays in five towns of North Cotabato within 24 hours or until Friday morning.

In response to this, Kabalu said that if their members live in these barangays, then they cannot order them to leave. "What will we do? Shall we drive them away from their community?"

Kabalu said the MILF will cooperate with the CCCH in case the committee is able to show that MILF members are illegally occupying lands in North Cotabato. He expressed confidence that the CCCH will be able to resolve the dispute.

"If there are areas that are really occupied, we are willing to dialogue and have it resolved peacefully," Kabalu said.

Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said on the same ANC program that he was "gratified" to hear of the MILF's willingness to cooperate in resolving this dispute.

Teodoro said the government was merely responding to reports that MILF forces had driven away the "rightfu owners of the land" in these areas of North Cotabato.

Three PNP battalions to be sent

Puno announced in a press conference Thursday that three battalions of policemen will be deployed to North Cotabato to clear at least nine villages of suspected Moro Islamic Liberation Front members and armed civilian volunteer organizations (CVOs).

Puno said he ordered Director General Avelino Razon Jr., Philippine National Police chief, to immediately order the deployment and investigation of the reported atrocities committed by the alleged rebels and CVOs in the North Cotabato villages.

"There are other reports that there are CVOs that are in the municipality of Aleosan moving around openly with arms," Puno announced at a press conference in Camp Crame. He added that local executives in North Cotabato should be reminded that CVOs are not allowed to carry firearms.

Puno also announced that nine villages in three towns of North Cotabato have been forcibly occupied by at least 800 members of the MILF's 105th Base Command under a certain Commander Umbrajado.

He said that after a National Security Council meeting on Wednesday night, chief peace adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. was ordered to tell his counterparts in the MILF to control Umbrajado's men.

He said if the MILF fails to remove the rebels in the villages, a joint task group of the police and the military will use force to push out the rebels in 24 hours. He said the deadline will expire 9 a.m. Friday.

"We are giving those individuals 24 hours to vacate otherwise they shall be forcibly separated from the area," Puno said.

He said that among the areas being occupied by the MILF rebels were the villages of Bago Libas, Dualing and Pagangan in Aleosan town; Cagpangi and Gumaga villages in Libungan town; and the villages of Central Labas, Upper Labas, Rangaban, and Baliki in Midsayap.

Puno said a total of 1, 536 families or 6, 547persons have been displaced in Midsayap and Aleosan town due to the atrocities. He added that there are also some areas forcibly occupied by rebels in Pigkawayan and Northern Kabuntalan towns.

The interior secretary said the rebels have been attacking "Christian residents" since July 1. Among the atrocities committed by the rebels were burning of houses, destruction of plantations, looting of properties and cattle rustling, he said.

In the same press conference, Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro said the 24-hour deadline will be the MILF's "litmus test" in proving their sincerity to the peace process.

"This is a test for the MILF to exercise and show good faith and responsibility as an organization. It is the responsibility of the MILF to do something and act on the situation," Teodoro said.

CVOs first

While the government is waiting for the deadline, Puno said the PNP has been ordered to "enforce the ban on firearms carried by CVOs."

He said he will also conduct dialogues with local officials in North Cotabato to assure them that nobody should be alarmed with the developments in the government and the MILF peace talks.

He said he had also received reports that some CVOs have also occupied some areas in the province. He said the police operations will be targeting at least 400 CVO members.

"We cannot allow these things to happen. I know everyone involved in the peace process doesn’t want this to happen," he said.

Puno said charges and sanctions will be made if he finds out that local government officials in North Cobato were behind the arming of the CVO members.

Piñol revelation

The police and military actions announced by Puno and Teodoro came after North Cotabato Vice-Governor Emmanuel Piñol made allegations that Esperon told him the military will not defend North Cotabato from possible MILF attacks if he continues to protest against the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD).

Piñol said that during a phone conversation with Esperon, the former military chief told him: "’Pag na-TRO kami diyan, bahala na kayo sa sarili ninyo. We are not going to sacrifice the lives of the soldiers to defend you."

He said he immediately informed his constituents and other local executives in North Cotabato about the threat and told them to get ready to defend themselves against MILF atrocities.

"I told the people [of North Cotabato], with the restrained Armed Forces we might have to defend ourselves. I know we will be losing lives, shedding blood. We will have to make sacrifices," Piñol said.

He said that even as MILF forces have been burning down houses and stealing livestock of the residents, the military units in the province remained in "active defensive stance."

He said the term means soldiers are not going to do anything about the MILF’s harassments.
    Can someone remind Mr. Puno that it's also illegal for the MILF to bear arms?
    Last edited by Altis6453; August 7th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *#$&%!!!! patayin na lahat ng MILF members...ALL OUT WAR AND ERADICATE ALL OF THEM!!!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *#$&%!!!! patayin na lahat ng MILF members...ALL OUT WAR AND ERADICATE ALL OF THEM!!!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

This is a sensitive issue. I just hope that the 'armed conflict', if there will be one, though I sincerely hope that it won't happen, will not escalate....

6505:Bath:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    i think this is similar to the east timor situation before?
    If it's just the MILF, maybe not. But, if the conflict escalates to the point moderate muslims and even the pro-government ones join their cause, then yes the situation can become similar to East Timor's. The muslim population can suddenly appeal to the international community for help.

Who would respond? Look at a map. There's Malaysia which is right next door and Indonesia which is to the south. Indonesia...maybe not so much. But Malaysia..... Yebo mentioned several incidents with the Malaysian navy in another thread. Malaysia is also the primary sponsor for negotiations between the Philippine government and various muslim factions in the Philippines. It seems they have a vested interest in Philippine affairs. I have no idea what goes on with their thinktank in Kuala Lumpur. But if I was in charge there, I'd feel more secure if a muslim country bordered my oil fields and refineries. They certainly have no love for the christian government in the Philippines. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones secretly funneling arms to the muslim rebels.

If anyone's been keeping score, Malaysia has been increasing and modernizing its armed forces while the Philippines has let its own stagnate. Its air force is thoroughly modern, armed with Su-30's, MiG-29's, and US-made F-18's while its navy have large numbers of missile-armed frigates and fast attack craft. Its regular army is somewhat small, say 100,000 troops. But, they're well-equipped with main battle tanks and other armor.

If the conflict in Mindanao escalates and the muslims appeal for help. Malaysia would be the one most likely to step in and interfere. At least from my view, it has the most to gain. This would also be a situation where the Philippine government's negligence of its armed forces would really bite them back in the a**. There is currently no credible deterence that can be offered by the AFP if Malaysia (and the international community in general) steps in ala East Timor.

The Philippines does have one card: the US. The US may or may not step in on behalf of the Philippines. Chances are it probably will. But, it won't improve the image of the Philippines any, having to depend on big brother for help.

At least, that's what's going in my mind. Maybe I'm on crack for thinking such a thing. But, I rather have that than have an East Timor scenario loom in the Philippines.

Add: I'm also wondering if there's a connection with oil finally being commercially viable in Palawan and the timing of this conflict. Probably not. But, if there's any collusion between Malaysia and the muslim rebels, it would seem convenient for Malaysia if the muslim rebels can cause a war that will keep the Philippines from fully-exploiting its newly found oil.

He He. I love inhaling crack.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 8th, 2008 at 06:39 AM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by richdik View Post
    if violence resume against the MILF, expect retaliation here in Luzon.

the thing is the Philippines has no Homeland Security like the United States of America. the MILF do possess the skills of those of international terrorists. remember the Glorietta Bombing, up to now it has not been resolved on what really happened.

why not just give up the entire Cotabato. ok lang yun but the decision to put all the AFP tanks around Davao is a very strategic move. sigurado talaga Davao and the Tuna capital Gen San as well as Zamboanga ang icing of the cake na gusto nila kuhain.

just give them a part of what they want para pag nanghingi pa, masisira sila sa international community

IMHO, Appeasement Policy never works. Just look what happened when the Allied Forces adopted this on Germany.....

Natural resources, including oil is a major major factor. If they're saying 'ancestral domain',- why do they have to look in the other direction?... There's Sabah for starters....

6505:Bath:

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Cooler heads should prevail and not let the situation degenerate into vigilante justice.

There's nothing wrong with civilians arming themselves for defense. But, when they cross the line and start looking for revenge, that's when it starts to look bad. When you have a gun, it's easy to fall into that mindset. I don't have to look too far to know that.

Add: Browsing some Philippine online newspapers, things look calm for now. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 9th, 2008 at 06:43 AM.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Estrada's policy with the MILF is something that he can really be proud of and i salute him on that.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/112609/E...h-rebel-groups

Estrada says govt must stand firm in dealing with rebel groups

MANILA, Philippines — Former President Joseph Estrada warned the government on Saturday that the country could break apart if it continues with its policy of appeasement with the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

Estrada said the prevailing tension in Mindanao only proves that his “all out war" policy against the MILF.is more effective that President Gloria Macapagal’s appeasement policy.

He said the Arroyo government has no one to blame except itself for returning the 43 camps of the MILF that government troops seized when he declared an full-scale offensive against the separatist group in 2000.

“We had successfully overrun 43 camps of the MILF, including Camp Abubakar, but they (Arroyo administration) returned it to them. That is the main cause of our problem right now," he said, adding that the continuing secessionist movement and insurgency problem makes investors hesitant to business in the country.

“None of this would have happened if Malacaňang had followed through on my lead in rebuilding any and all attempts to cut up the Republic of the Philippines, and in restoring Philippine sovereignty in areas and camps previously claimed to be the exclusive domain of the MILF," he said in an interview.

Estrada said his declaration of an “all-out war" against fellow Filipinos had been one of the most difficult decisions he made in his short-lived presidency.

“But it was a necessary step in preventing further chaos in Mindanao and in pushing through with a genuine peace and development initiative in the region," Estrada said.

He said the Arroyo administration must be firm in its resolve to address the peace and order problem in Mindanao and must also be at all times transparent in dealing with MILF or any other rebel group.

“We all want peace, but at what price? There was no transparency, no respect for the people’s right to be informed about an agreement that would affect their future," he said.

He was referring to the memorandum of agreement on ancestral domain between government and the MILF that was stopped by the Supreme Court.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
GRP-MILF draft pact on Bangsamoro homeland