New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But how about extending beyond one's own equipment via the internet?

There are sites like http://typhoon2000.ph which offer very detailed information (sourced from other international agencies) on storms in the region.

That last storm that hit Metro Manila was predicted accurately via the storm tracks in that site.

Tama. Lame excuse na yun out of date equipment. Even in the 70s and 80s, they were predicting typhoons accurately with those very equipment they use. Plus the fact that there is the internet now. I refer to these sites for planning my trips. I wonder why can't they.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Mukhang may positive effect naman in the way PAGASA is handling the current typhoon... More proactive sila in communicating updates to concerned parties.... We were watching their update via DZRH (on TV) last night past 11PM, and they're promising hourly updates with the various disaster coordinating councils....

11.0K:dunno:
    that's good to hear.

but going back to the topic of this thread, weather forecasting and communication among agencies are two different but related issues.

i think the issue with with PAGASA and Nilo is the wrong forecasts, hence the sacking.

we basically have two school of thoughts regarding the issue - PAGASA lack the equipment OR the head (Nilo) isn't capable as a leader (or probably both).

it is really too early which is which. this typhoon while very strong did not exhibit that very unpredictable behavior that caused Nilo's sacking.

on a side note, a lot of facebook friends are actually getting the weather forecasts for the Philippines from other countries (Japan or HK etc). maybe Pnoy is right after all. we don't need expensive equipment. we just need a fast and reliable internet connection and copy whatever forecasts other countries have for our country.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Ok ang team na pagasa ngayon.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    alisin lang pala ng isang tao at magiging accurate na ang forecasting ng PAGASA!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But how about extending beyond one's own equipment via the internet?

There are sites like http://typhoon2000.ph which offer very detailed information (sourced from other international agencies) on storms in the region.

That last storm that hit Metro Manila was predicted accurately via the storm tracks in that site.
    The problem is the predictions were approximate, and it wasn't till late in the day that the typhoon's path became definite. (Yeah, I remember that day all too well).

PAGASA was screwed by its outdated 6-hour forecast system and their lack of internets.

-

Yes, they could rely on foreign services, like you and I did, but then... how would that bolster their case for the need for more funding?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I wonder kung bibigyan ng credits ni Aquino si Arroyo since procurement of doppler radars happened under GMA

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    I wonder kung bibigyan ng credits ni Aquino si Arroyo since procurement of doppler radars happened under GMA
    maybe in OB's world(hollow earth).:D

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    The problem with nilo and some of his staff is they failed to properly understand the gravity of the situation and communicate , they were too technical. First they failed to understand that when a typhoon veers to a different course, you don't wait 6 hours to announce it, you say it immediately esp. when it's going to a densely populated area. Also most of their forecast is "Heavy rains and strong wind" It fails to answer how heavy is heavy, if you look at the pagasa site, it doesn't give that much visual clue on the status of the weather and the dams unlike sites like wunderground.com where the visual representation of the status of the weather is better communicated

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyfoot View Post
    The problem with nilo and some of his staff is they failed to properly understand the gravity of the situation and communicate , they were too technical. First they failed to understand that when a typhoon veers to a different course, you don't wait 6 hours to announce it, you say it immediately esp. when it's going to a densely populated area. Also most of their forecast is "Heavy rains and strong wind" It fails to answer how heavy is heavy, if you look at the pagasa site, it doesn't give that much visual clue on the status of the weather and the dams unlike sites like wunderground.com where the visual representation of the status of the weather is better communicated
    I can understand you point. The first part is on Nilo and his staff.

But I think the second part on "heavy rains" is more on the equipment side. As of now, PAGASA remains the same from what I've seen before (Arroyo admin).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in fairness to PAGASA, bec of the incident gumanda na ang announcement nila with Typhoon Juan.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Fired weatherman gets it again