New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by johnqpublic318
    Huh? Doesn't make sense... Lockers with ATs are better on non-mud trails than open diffs and MTs... However, lockers with MTs are still best overall. Why spend money on ATs when there are so many muddy trails in the Phil? If you can afford to lock both diffs, you might as well spend a little more and get MTs over ATs. MTs will also work on sand. Just air down to 12-16 psi.

I've driven on the Pinatubo area lahar trails numerous times and airing down works.

Good luck and have fun...
    how much air pressure do you recommend for 35" Simex extreme trekkers on lahar material? open diffs.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    same but i for smaller tires I wouldn't advise going below 15psi unless you have beadlocks.
    best way to know is to look at your sidewall. air down to about 1/4 of your side wall.
    airing down makes you sidewall more suceptible so if you have weak sidewalls, don't air down.
    airing down can also cause the tire beads to pop off the rim. this ha[ppens when sideways pressure is put on the tire and theres not enough pressure to keep the bead against the rim

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I would go on mud tires, lockers will only be advantageous on super technical course but then if you drive bahala na style, you might not need it. AT tires work poorly on mud even with lockers. My experience with LC40 with non-directional tires is better than Y60 AT tires with lockers activated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
which will have better TRACTION?