New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whether OD on or off, mas magandang ilagay ang shifter sa 2 and let the engine braking help you descend slowly with ample brake applications when needed.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    This is what I've learned: Gear ratios of the manual trans and auto trannys are different. Manual trannies have closer-spaced ratios usually and are typically 5-speed, with the 5th as an overdrive. The modern automatics feature 4 'forward' gear ratios - with the 3rd gear having a 1.00 ratio, and the 4th as an 'overddrive', usually about 0.71 ratio. I'ts used primarily to drop the engine rpm closer to its maximum torque rpm at high speeds, to reduce fuel consumption. The O/D 'off' switch is used when the tranny ECU isn't 'smart' enough to decide to keep it on 3rd or overdrive (hunting) - usually when travelling on roads with a mild incline/decline. Some new tranny control units claim to be intelligent enough to stop shifting to overdrive after a few times; yung iba hindi. Basically you decide - if it seems to be hunting a lot, turn the overdrive off.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Oops - regarding the orig question - generally same, if it seems that the trans ecu hunts up and down gear ratios (which will happen when climbing hills - i.e. entering a curve climbing up, you let go of the gas pedal to slow down, and the tranny decides to shift to the next gear!), use 2 or L to limit the shifting. When in 'D', you dont get any engine-braking as the tranny uncouples itself when you let go fo the gas pedal, forcing you to use the brakes to slow the vehicle. Putting the tranny in 2 or L keeps the tranny coupled even when you let go of the gas pedal (until a certain minimum rpm or when you step on the brakes) so that you get a measure of engine braking power.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    maraming salamat po Sir Ungas and ClemO :D

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    yep... so up lion's head, it's advisable to use 2 or even 1 (L) if you're vehicle is loaded... most of the time up and down Kennon or Marcos H-way, D w/o O/D or at most 2 will be enough...

i sometimes turn off O/D when overtaking at the expressways depending on the situation...
    Last edited by turk182; November 25th, 2003 at 05:26 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm very enlightening, minsan pa lang kasi ako gumamit nang AT na sasakyan, and I was a new driver way back then, parang boring that's why I prefer the manual tranny.... but now if I am going to buy a new car I will get an AT, parang nakakapagod nang mag drive especially pag traffic....

way back then, I just put the tranny to D whether its going up or going down...hehehehe pudpod kagad ang brake lining, madalas nga eh nangagamoy na....hehehe sabi ko tuloy pambihirang kotse to di marunong mag-engine brake...hehehehe

la lang....

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Ok din gamitin ang O/D kapag umoovertake ka. :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when overtaking at highspeeds and feeling ko mabibitin ako, like kung meron akong kasalubong, or ayaw magbigay nung inovertakan ko, i switch off the O/D para magdownshift.
    Signature

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    usually, hindi na kailangan i-off yung O/D when overtaking since mashing the go pedal will result in an instantaneous one- or even two-gear downshift on good autos

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May kickdown nga iyon as what mbt has said. Just mash the go-pedal and andiyan na siya. From the Lacson stoplight to the UST main gate, 100+ kph na ang takbo ng CR-V ng classmate ko when she asked me to 'park' it. :D

Sa Benz, there is built-in resistance before you go into the kickdown zone. On older models, there is literally a switch on the floor which you will hit when you put the pedal to the metal.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
when to shift to over drive?