The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    L is 1st gear
    2 is 2nd gear
    Overdrive off is 3rd gear
    overdrive on is 4th gear

sa corolla ganito, sa civic d2 ang lowest gear up to d4, ewan ko lang sa mga latest models

IMO and my personal experience, you leave the overdrive on or leave it in D if you are cruising. But when you needed the extra power when overtaking you can leave it on D and let the ECU decide on shifting gears by putting more gas. However, it makes your car lose a bit of speed coz when you ease the gas even just for a second it will quickly go to a higher gear. That makes your car miss the power band. IT also irritates me when the trannny keeps shifting coz the car feels dull and it has less response.

On the other hand, you can manually shift your A/T and decide for yourself when to downshit and upshift. This makes your car more responsive compared to when leaving it for the computer to decide. A good example would be in a narrow 2 way road from sta rosa laguna to tagaytay. Whenver I overtake a lot of cars I shift the AT myself and this like I said is more responsive and faster. Example, from d4 Ill switch it to d2 and the rpm will increase and acceleration will be faster. Even if I ease up the gas it is still pinned to d2 and the drop of the rpm is not big. Hence, if I put more gas the response will be better. if it reaches the redline put it in a higher gear.

Therefore, if you want your car to be more responsive shift the AT yourself. But if you want to be comfortable just put it in D.

D1 is normally used in steep uphills coz in this selection the tranny stays in 1st gear.
    D2 is normally used in steep downhills

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    first time ko lang din mag AT, gamit ko yung SWB na pajero AT... i'm not sure kung pano ba dapat ang apak sa accelerator kung tipong parang hahayaan lang ba na gumapang ng husto ang sasakyan hanggang sa mag bumilis or dapat din apakan para mapataas ang rev? kase napansin ko lang..pag parang hinayaan lang siya at light lang tapak eh para kang nagmamaenho ng bumpcar...kung naman apakan para mapataas agad ng rev eh parang ingay naman at parang pilit...which one mas ok? btw yung apakan to give it a rev eh yung hindi naman to the max para ma activate overdrive..just enough to give it a rev ba...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    autos w/ manual mode are easier to use since they are essentially a clutchless hybrid auto/manual tranny... it makes the transition from driving manual to auto tranny vehicles much easier...

those with "pure" auto trannys (w/o manual mode) have to rely on mashing the accelerator, switching off O/D or maybe even selecting 2 depending on vehicle speed and situation... takes some practice but that's part of the fun of driving...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    vsm712,

you give it throttle immediately on startup na, unless you need the "creeping speed", like in a parking lot, say... in which case, you can drive around with your foot off the gas and off the brake

masasanay ka rin kaagad sa A/T, i'm sure it'll become second-nature in an instant

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some cars have OD On by default and give you the option of switching it off..... a lot more logical if you ask me.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gen 2.5 is one. you have to push the OD button to switch it off.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    yep... O/D is switched on and off by a botton on the auto shift knob... most of the time, it should be on but depending on the situation, you can elect to turn it off...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
when to shift to over drive?