New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mmmm. Maybe that's why my 06 Sonata did so well against that older 5.0 Mustang GT.

3.3L V6 Sonata A/T with Automanual
    235HP, 226LB-FT torque

1990 5.0L V8 Mustang GT with M/T
    220HP, 220 LB-FT torque

Edit: Sorry. Can't help it. But, the kid asked for it.....*shrugs*
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 31st, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbfolls
    That depends on what you mean by efficiently. If you mean efficient as in the quickest way to accelerate, theory dictates that you shift up ONLY at the roadspeed that will cause your next higher gear to spin the engine at the rpm slightly lower than the rpm where it is making the most TORQUE. Fpr example, if your car is running at 40 mph and the engine is spinning at say 5,500 rpm in first gear, and that 2nd gear at 40 mph vehicle speed would spin the engine at 4,200 rpm, while peak torque is found at 4,500 rpm, then yes 5,500 rpm is your most efficient shift point when shifting from 1st to 2nd. If you upshift from 1st at 30 mph, the engine would only be spinning at 4,125 rpm and would then translate to 3,150 rpm at 2nd gear, which is way below the 4,500 rpm at which max torque occurs(depending on the torque curve characteristic of the engine, this may not be too bad--but if the engine is "peaky" it would really make a big difference).

On the other hande, if you mean efficient as in frugal, then it would be best to shift at the vehicle speed that would allow the engine to spin at an rpm enough for it to make the torque required to move the car in the next higher gear. The engine is operating at its leanest at the least amount of throttle opening for a given speed and load. So, in order to be fuel efficient, one needs only to push down on the accelerator gently and shift up soon enough as to allow the engine to pull the car without need for excessive accelerator pedal pressure(which may be accompanied by knocking).
    Paano nyo malalaman ang MAX TORQUE? para alam mo kung shift/change gear na?
    Last edited by acenie; February 1st, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    Mmmm. Maybe that's why my 06 Sonata did so well against that older 5.0 Mustang GT.

3.3L V6 Sonata A/T with Automanual
    235HP, 226LB-FT torque

1990 5.0L V8 Mustang GT with M/T
    220HP, 220 LB-FT torque

Edit: Sorry. Can't help it. But, the kid asked for it.....*shrugs*
    dude, check your figures again...the 5.0 packs 300 lbs of torque *4000 RPM, and it's lighter than your car by 500 lbs, so maybe the kid didn't know how to drive. they do have tricky clutches.
    Last edited by wren; February 1st, 2006 at 11:32 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ive read in someone's sig. .

horsepower is what you buy
    torque is what you feel

hehehe
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT
    dude, check your figures again...the 5.0 packs 300 lbs of torque *4000 RPM, and it's lighter than your car by 500 lbs, so maybe the kid didn't know how to drive. they do have tricky clutches.
    You're right. That would explain why it's quicker off the line.But once my car got going barely a blink later, it quickly closed the distance and I soon passed the Mustang. I imagine the 5.0 engine is showing its age too. The skirts looked a little worn out and everything looked and sounded stock.

Oh well, even if I lost, there's no shame in losing when you're driving a Hyundai.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FXT
    :evillaugh

must be that the Mustang doesnt have the sports suspension and a sporty 20" rims.

*locking the thread*

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by caloyski5 View Post
    ive read in someone's sig. .

horsepower is what you buy
    torque is what you feel

hehehe
    My idol Enzo Ferrari quotes "Horsepower Sells Cars, Torque Wins Races"

Actually, the definitons of Hp & T are still confusing. For me, when it comes to performance, it all boils down to one point that makes or breaks it: DRIVETRAIN . . .

Horsepower is a unit of force, a theoretical computation. Whereas torque is a measured thing. HP remains constant while T depends on the type of gear used. For example you use a torquey SUV on its AWD "1" gear. It has lots of torque spilling out when climbing steep hills but will not go fast.

But some will say that HP is a force in a straight line. A force NOT in a straight line can be called a Torque. Others say that HP determines the top speed while T is equal to acceleration.

Like I've said, it is still confusing . . .

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Does it mean the L300 4d56 has high torque because you dont need the primera, you can go directly to segunda from a standstill?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Does it mean the L300 4d56 has high torque because you dont need the primera, you can go directly to segunda from a standstill?
    Ganoon na nga ang kalalabasan.
    Diesel engine mas mataas ang torque kompara sa gasoline counterpart. Mga jeepney driver nga eh 2nd gear kaagad di na dumadaan ng 1st gear pero hindi mo magawa ng smooth sa gasoline engine lalo na kung 1.3L lang.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    Ganoon na nga ang kalalabasan.
    Diesel engine mas mataas ang torque kompara sa gasoline counterpart. Mga jeepney driver nga eh 2nd gear kaagad di na dumadaan ng 1st gear pero hindi mo magawa ng smooth sa gasoline engine lalo na kung 1.3L lang.
    sa gas, hindi lang engine displacement ang tinitingnan dito. kahit yung mga 660cc na multicab kaya ng segunda kaagad kahit gas pa sila basta standstill dahil sa transmission gearing nila (hindi ko ang alam ang techie term para doon parang low gear ratio yata paki-correct nalang ako).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Torque vs Horsepower -- how do you use it?