New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    mga sirs, ano po ba ang real purpose and importance nyan? I just got a Turbo Timer kanina sa bodega ng business ng uncle ko. (selling 2nd hand cars, local and subic) LOL ang mahal pala nila...

I ask someone here and he told me that ALL Turbo cars should have it. dahil masisira daw ang car kung wala. if that's is true, paano na yung Subic Townace ng Papa ko? since all Townys are Turbo Diesel.

sa ignition line lang ba ito ilagay? I am thinking of installing the Turbo Timer I found if it is true.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    lemme quote my reply to ninja_630 sa mymitsuph:

Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    the turbo timer allows your car to idle for a preset time to let the turbo cool down, especially after a high-speed run.

As long as the oil supply is clean and the exhaust gas does not become overheated (lean mixtures or retarded spark timing on a gasoline engine) a turbocharger can be very reliable but care of the unit is important. Replacing a turbo that lets go and sheds its blades will be expensive. The use of synthetic oils is recommended in turbo engines.

After high speed operation of the engine it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for one to three minutes before turning off the engine. Saab, in its owner manuals, recommends a period of just 30 seconds. This lets the turbo rotating assembly cool from the lower exhaust gas temperatures. Not doing this will also result in the critical oil supply to the turbocharger being severed when the engine stops while the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are still very hot, leading to coking (burning) of the lubricating oil trapped in the unit when the heat soaks into the bearings and later, failure of the supply of oil when the engine is next started causing rapid bearing wear and failure. Even small particles of burnt oil will accumulate and lead to choking the oil supply and failure. A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time, in order to execute this cool-down period automatically.

Turbos with watercooled bearing cartridges have a protective barrier against coking. The water boils in the cartridge when the engine is shut off and forms a natural recirculation to drain away the heat. It is still a good idea to not shut the engine off while the turbo and manifold are still glowing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hindi po ba medyo odd kung may Turbo Timer ang isang Toyota TownAce?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    as long as may turbo siya, it isn't odd.

it IS odd, kung n/a (naturally aspirated) siya tapos may turbo timer.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    talaga po bang palaging naka-on? hindi po ba sila na-nag auto shut off? kasi sa Townace, nag Turbo indicator lang siya kung lagpas na 1700 rpm. tapos sabay naririnig yung soft whistle sound.

kung ganun po, useless lang pala yung Turbo Led Indicators nila...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    rion: which one are you referring to as always on?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    yung Turbo po. I was assuming kasi na, the Turbo will only activate once the Turbo Led Indicator in the Dashboard is on.

kasi The Turbo Led is ON once reaching 1700 Rpm, then when it goes below 1700, the Led indicator is OFF...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    maybe it's set that way then. the turbo kasi is always on, as long as the system is running, since it's powered by the exhaust gases .

based on your description, it seems that the led goes on at that rpm to indicated that it's making boost.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I asked the same question sa townace.com forum at sabi nila hindi na necessary dahil watercooled daw ang townace unless kung heavy used siya. sa bagong turbo diesel ko nalang siguro ito e-install. atleast alam ko na anong benefits nito.

salamat po.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    if the turbo is watercooled, then good. kasi turbos can either be oil-cooled (like the TD-04-9G and TD-04-12H ng pajero 2.5 and 2.8) or oil and water-cooled (i think yung sa mga IHI turbos ng subarus). correct me if i'm wrong na lang.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
The 'Intelligent' Turbo Timer