New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Ok. So I couldnt run 4H on paved roads. whats the difference? how come?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Naglecture na si afrasay tungkol dito. Search the net about these topics:

*Binding
    *Transmission windup
    *4wd basics

Hindi ko kasi alam kung nandito pa ang threads, eh.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    oki doki! thanks!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    to make the story short. Dont engage 4wd on High traction surfaces, on part time 4wd's. the disadvantages of this is far numerous than the advantage if there is any. Sa strada this is a part time 4wd vehicle. Gen1's without power mirrors have manual hubs, after that all have auto hubs.

Now sa pajero even if you change it to auto hubs na SS2 ang tranny the shift on the fly will still work because the auto hubs will engage upon sensing that there is torque on the axle shafts. sa CAD one wheel is locked all the time while the other is unlocked.

both manual and auto locking hubs has its advantages and disadvantages over the other.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB,

Kaya pa din ba humabol ng auto hubs at highway speeds? Hindi ba madudurog ang gears?

Hindi ba masyado nang redundant lagyan pa ng hubs ang SS4wd?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    SS4WD na ba sa Gen 2 strada???

Jed just to be sure, stop your strada and engage
    to disengage to be sure to backup the car mga 3 meters to after disengaging the lever to fully disengage

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Sir Otep:: thanks for the info. If ever na magpakabit ako ng manual hubs, kapag nasa lock position siya, di ba para na rin siyang naka-auto hubs? I mean, pwedeng hindi na siya i-unlock pag 2H. Parang walang nagbago doon sa dating naka-auto hubs ako? Ang pagbabago lang ay pwede na akong mag-2L ngayon by unlocking the front hubs? Tama ba ang analysis ko? Sorry for my ignorance.

Sir Kimps:: If ever na magpalit ako ng manual hubs, I don't want to let go of my auto hubs for future use.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mangyan, kung naka manual hubs ka at naka lagay sa lock position ibig sabihin umiikot din ang gear so added rollin weight thus added gas consumption, pero minimal lang ito kaya ok lang.

yup if your hubs is in the "free" position just engage your lever para mag 2L

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From http://www.4x4abc.com/

When should you lock your hubs? When should you unlock them?
    Could you leave them locked?

Locking Hub were invented to engage/disengage the front wheels from the front axle shafts. Idea was to keep parts that were not needed in 2WD mode from rotating in order to reduce mechanical drag and thus save gas.
    Good idea but the savings are extremely minimal.

A proposed additional benefit of locking hubs was less wear and tear of front axle parts.
    Lousy argument! Are they saying that the front axle parts are so weak that they need to be disconnected sometimes?

So, what should you do?
    I would recommend that you leave your locking hubs disconnected when there is no need for 4WD in sight. You'll achieve a quieter ride on pavement with less vibrations with hubs unlocked. Lock them as needed for 4WD operation (doesn't matter whether you lock them before you shift into 4WD or right after) and unlock them when going back to 2WD (again, doesnt matter whether you unlock them before shifting out of 4WD or right after). Leaving them locked in 2WD will have no negative effects.
    I would also recommend you leave your hubs locked during bad weather season. This will allow you to shift in and out of 4WD whenever the need arises. Good news is that you will not need to stop for shifting into 4WD - with the locking hubs engaged the drivelines are synchronized. Leaving you hubs locked will cause no damage to your vehicle and will not influence it's handling.
    However, driving with part time 4WD engaged (if you have hubs - you have part time 4WD) on dry sections of pavement you will not only create unsafe driving due to understeer - you may also cause expensive repairs due to "driveline bind".

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    OTEP yep hindi maka habol but it will still handle it the problem is how long it will last. and different ang setup ng gears ng locking hubs from the transmission.sa locking hubs the shaft is the boy and the hub is the girl the boy connects to the girl, sa tranny side by side so they need synch gear to go side by side. but definetly the SS will still work. pag wala kang choice as in you cannot find a hub na orig then the only the only option is change it like the case of mangyan. jsut like the CAD it can be shifted at speed up to 100km/h but is is also advisable to stop and shift.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
hub lock freewheel?