New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    ...leave your car parked in the sun with open doors, whenever possible (say, a car lot / park).
    That's what I did, left the unit parked under the sun with all hatches open. I also read that thread in Tsikot a while back about the dangers of "new car smell." I also did this to hasten the drying of the tint so I could roll down my confounded windows

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    He he, so lumalabas pala na para tayong mga rugby boys he he he!!!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    aerate it, daan ka ng highway sa south or north mas alang pollution, open your windows and let air circulate=)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the main sources of the "new car" odor are the plasticizers used for the plastics, leather/leatherette or vinyls, and the solvents used for the adhesives inside the car. yung solvent ng adhesives, mabilis mawala yan dahil medyo volatile naman yang mga yan. benzene is no longer used as solvent since it's been long known as a cancer-causing chemical. yung mga kamag-anak ng benzene ang gamit madalas sa adhesives like xylene and toluene plus maybe some acetate solvents - yung amoy plastic balloon. the plasticizers used for the plastics and leathers etc. linger a lot longer dahil medyo mabagal ang evaporation rate ng mga yan so no choice but to live with.
    using charcoal or more specifically, activated charcoal - yung ginagamit sa water filtration is effective. charcoal looses its effectivity with time dahil na-sasaturate din yan. it does not only adsorb the "new car" odor but also other odors present inside the car -- yes, including your body odor . baking soda? ang alam ko, effective lang 'to sa fishy odors and maybe vinegar like or acidic odors- odors that releases amines and acids; amines/acids are neutralized by the baking soda. but solvents and the like? i seriously doubt it. so keep your baking soda where it should be... in your baking oven :D
    exposing the car under the sun with the doors and windows left open is simple and is effective I suppose since you're letting the odors "breathe out" - you volatilize the odor-causing chemicals and allow it to vent out. kung pwede nga lang ba lagyan mo ng suction blower or ventilator inside, so much the better.
    another trick that I might try.. but not sure if it will work, is to swab the interior with rubbing alcohol. the alcohol might help in accelerating the evaporation of the chemicals on the surface of the plastics, leathers, etc. at least di na amoy nung adhesives and plasticizer naamoy nyo...amoy alcohol na lang. hth

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    kaya masarap pumunta sa mga showroom eh amoy bago mga kotse hehe

6. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Have someone fart inside the car!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How to get rid of the plastic smell of a new ride