New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I was wondering how to find out your rear differential gear ratio?my vehicle is assembled and my differential is from a toyota hilux i guess.and the assembler said its low speed its almost the same size as the differential off a 4x4 hilux but bigger than a 4x2 hilux differential is there a way i can determine its ratio?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    what a technical question you have here, i think you have to know the gear ratio of your transmission and also consider the size of your tires, since these can really affect its performance and fuel consumption..to be honest as long as it drives well i won't be bothered really.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess it would be possible if the vehicle is lifted where the wheels can be turned freely ... set transmission on neutral, then manually rotate the drive axle for the differential, count the number of turns of the axle for the wheel to turn one rotation

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjip View Post
    I was wondering how to find out your rear differential gear ratio?my vehicle is assembled and my differential is from a toyota hilux i guess.and the assembler said its low speed its almost the same size as the differential off a 4x4 hilux but bigger than a 4x2 hilux differential is there a way i can determine its ratio?

Differential ratio ba sir?

Without openning the diff:
    1. Sometimes it is marked at the diff. gear box like: 10:42 ; 10X42
    This mean the pinion gear has 10 teeths while ring gear has 42 teeths.
    2. Lift the rear differential, mark the proppeler shaft and tire, then rotate the proppeler shaft. Count the no of turns of proppeler and tire. This is not very accurate method compare to knowing the no of gears itself.

Matanong ko lang po sir, bakit gusto nyo pong malaman ang ratio?

Hope this will help............

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For the ghetto method, you count the number of times the driveshaft has to rotate to complete one tire revolution.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Numerically high gears are 'lower' gears. E.g. the 5.29 gear ratio of a Pajero is 'lower' than a Land Cruiser 80's 4.11.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I'd go with what doc OTEP said...

...or if you have time, kalas ng drive drive axles, then baba ng differential...

Count the number of teeth ng ring gear and pinion gear.

Final ratio would be: ring gear teeth divided by pinion gear teeth.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    if its wider than the toyota hilux 2wd i think its a 4.88 ratio or 8.39...if the seller is telling yuo that its a low speed then that would be the correct ratio inside yuor diff....its what we usually found on some hilux diffs specially surplus ones.

gear ratio?