New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Does the use of DOT 4 brake fluid shorten the stopping distance of a vehicle compared to the use of DOT 3?

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    maybe a firmer brake feel and less brake fade but to shorten the stopping distance of a vehicle would require better tires that are grippier, not better brake fluid.

DOT4 vs DOT3 will simply give better resistance to brake fade due to high temperatures in your brake system, particularly in your calipers.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aside from tires also try better brakepads. if you're using mud or a/t tires its the tires that is limiting your braking, not the brakes... walang kwenta ang on-road grip ng m/t at a/t tires, andali padulasin.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    is it true that dot 4 brake fluid is prone to condensation? or not suited for everday used car. please confirm this peeps.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, the difference between them is the temperature ratings. DOT4 is superior. Yan gamit ko sa CBR ko before. Stock cars only require DOT3. Havent tried DOT4.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ARB
    is it true that dot 4 brake fluid is prone to condensation? or not suited for everday used car. please confirm this peeps.
    I cant tell the full deal on this but the answer is yes. These brake fluids (DOT4/5.1, RBF 600's) main selling point is that they have higher heat ranges to keep the system from boiling over during extreme use. From how i understand it, they are more hydroscopic then the regular DOT 3 fluids so using them in place with high humidity and floods like the Phils would mean you should flush the system regularly.

Unless you plan to do some serious track/ high performance road driving, it'll be better to stick to the stock fluids then concentrate on a brake pad upgrade or even steel braided lines.

Heres a thread that can give some info: http://www.nissanbayan.com/forums/in...f=6&t=1239066&

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I use DOT4 on my rig, luckily I don't see any condensation in the process.

Mas mataas daw ang temperature range ng DOT4 compared to DOT3. Which means better constant braking power, lalo na wala akong maaasahang brake grip on my mud tires.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    DOT3 is tougher than DOT4 (against condensation, etc.). Buti DOT4 generally performs better.

Pwede na sakin ang DOT3.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MB uses mostly dot4s...... ewan ko lang sa mga bagong MBs.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I remember hearing before that MB does use a different brake fluid (not DOT 3).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 Brake Fluid