New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Toyota Innova's 2.5l engine produces 102hp/200nm for the manual and 102hp/260nm for the automatic model. Does the automatic really feels stronger? I also notice that on some cars (2000 Pathfinder U.S) and D-Max, the engine produces more torque in the automatic version. Can anyone explain this? Last question, I read in an old 4x4 magazine that the 1KZ engine on the Prado feels stronger than the new 1KD in the Hi-lux at low to mid rpm range. Can anyone confirm this? Kasi I'm planning to buy a Fortuner. Tagal lang ng antay. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's on paper specs, each vehicle has its own power/torque readout when dyno tested. Naturally, car manufacturers would put more grunt on AT variants because of power transfer loss is much greater than MT models. Newer AT vehicles are equipped with torque converter inside the tranny housing to compensate for the power loss.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Last question, I read in an old 4x4 magazine that the 1KZ engine on the Prado feels stronger than the new 1KD in the Hi-lux at low to mid rpm range. Can anyone confirm this? Kasi I'm planning to buy a Fortuner. Tagal lang ng antay. Thanks.
    cant really feel the difference between the two at low speeds or during relax acceleration, i usually rev the engine only up to 2,000 rpm, ocassionally up to 2,500. but i find it easier to cruise at 80kmh with the d4d hilux than the 1kz prado(baka dahil all wheel drive yung prado). i havent/didnt/dont push/ed the two vehicles, so i cant really say. i think the difference can be seen if someone took the vehicles offroading, or during heavy acceleration or acceleration at high speeds which i think the d4d would win but at low speeds i think there's not much difference.

performance specs of the prado: http://tsikot.yehey.com/gallery/show...9/cat/1/page/1

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Oops. too many windows open hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The engine's power output is independent of the transmission type. The engineers could easily swap the one for the other. Besides, the difference is not really that big to even ponder over.

Sometimes I feel that they just put in a bigger figure for automatic versions to satisfy unknowing consumers who think automatics are slow and that there should be a 'compensatory mechanism'.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it could also be that they purposefully 'detune' the output of the engine in M/T applications to prolong the life of the gearbox. mas kaya kasi ng automatic tranny mag-handle ng greater torque.

although i wonder, 192 lb-ft (260 N-m) of torque isn't really all that huge

D4-D questions