New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    But if you can smell oil, and the coolant starts going down, you might have the beginnings of a gasket failure. I had that on a Sentra once after an overhaul. The car would run fine, but temps would go up in long running, as the heat and pressure lifted the head off the gasket and let some oil and water leak through
    if gasket failure, isn't it that you'd see oil around the engine block itself?

unrelated to overheating anyway, but we had the gasket replaced na sa pajero at about 70T kms, my tito kasi noticed that the engine block was so oily and true enough, when we took out the old gasket, it wasn't in good shape. pati yung half-moon rings na dalawa had to be replaced. it was a quick job though, the hardest part was to keep the ATF dipstick away kasi it gets in the way. tipong, take off TMIC, put aside ATF dipstick, unloosen one or 2 bolts (forgot exactly how many), take off cylinder head, wipe clean the area, and put the new stuff in. i hope the procedure is as easy as that for gas engines.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    any updates?

i agree with the rest, the smell of burnt oil is the worst thing you described.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Tnx sirs for your infos.

I think I've found one problem (posted by sir niky) just now after parking the car. Upon turning off the engine and leaving the car, the fan is still running loud and clear. It would take about 10 seconds before it shuts down.

Also, I've been constantly running out of coolant (whether pure water or coolant/water mix). In less than a month, ubos na ung coolant.

Radiator hoses, not sure pa.

*artpogi
    masyado ngang maaga pa chief for the thermostat to give up. Pero who knows, every car parts has its unique quality kahit totally identical di ba?

*basti08
    di pa sir eh. Pero will try to inquire with citimotors if overhaul is needed.

I'm really eager to bring the car to Citimotors ASAP. Unfortunately, di pa kaya bukas dahil coding. Igarage ko muna for now. Update ko po kayo guys when findings pop-up. Tnx po for all your infos!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... if the fan doesn't shut off immediately, they might have done something weird to it at the service center... maybe they did the "rekta" thing? To compensate for the fan being too slow?

If it's taking too long to turn off, there's definitely something wrong with it.

I'm still worried about the oil smell. True, usually if your head gasket is giving way, you can see leaks, but you can have a partial gasket failure, where it only leaks between the coolant passages and the cylinder, or only when the engine gets hot enough, and the head lifts very slightly to let oil and coolant go through.

If there is a problem with the head, then that's a warranty issue on a two year old car. If it's just the fan, that's simple.

Again, knock on wood. Good luck at the dealership.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Do a compression test to eliminate the problem of head gasket failure. YOu can add dye to your coolant to find if there is a leak in your cooling system.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    tnx chief niky...

m_ron, what is that "dye"? Hehe.. sorry for the question. Dami kasing dye sa mundo eh.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    hair dye,lol. radiator coolant dye.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    sir:

have your car checked in a decent service center (not necessarily the casa). have them do leak testing in your cooling system.

we've had a similar customer in autotechnika (but his car was a chevy venture). his cooling system is fine but when we lifted the car we saw a leak in the engine block (which means it gonna be expensive to repair). But this is the worse case scenario

i believe your temp increases when you get into traffic right? that means the air that flows into your radiator compensates for the heat dissipation.

have your fan and thermostat checked first, then a leak test.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    hair dye,lol. radiator coolant dye.
    That would help a lot... haven't seen it here yet... hmmm... time to go a-hunting...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    that dye seems interesting.

strangely enough, the fan still running while the engine's shut off na...we're experiencing that lately with the outlander. then again, you can even move the power windows for about 2-3 seconds after turning the engine and putting the key to the off position. we're not getting any weird temp readings though from the gauge, always less than 1/2 reading niya.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Weird temp readings on Lancer CVT MX 2004