New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Guys, need some opinions. I drove my Lancer from 9AM in the morning yesterday till 1AM today. I went from Paranaque to Cubao, Cubao to Dasmarinas, Dasmarinas to Paranaque, Paranaque to Angono, Rizal, from Angono to San Simon, Pampanga, and finally from San Simon, Pampanga, back to Paranaque.

The car only got less than 5 mins. engine turn-off in most of the stops except when I stopped over at Angono (took 30 mins.).

Before leaving Angono, I checked at the tires, body parts, and coolant level. Level is still full in the coolant so I thought things would go well for the remaining trips.

So I then left from Angono to San Simon, but upon arriving at EDSA North the car's temperature gauge went from 1/2 to 3/4... I then slowly went to the rightmost lane, turned my hazards, opened the hood, and checked what could be wrong.. can't find anything (ang dilim pa) except the level of the coolant decreased a bit. So I placed the key to ON in the ignition to check, and the temperature is back to normal (1/2). The temperature went fine for a long while until I'm back en route to Paranaque from San Simon. Bandang Bicutan SLEX na ko nung bigla na namang tumaas ung temp and maya-maya bumalik rin to normal.

So, what could be causing this? Some additional info that may help:

*Car is due for PMS
    *Car never got a time to rest from 9am till 1am of more than an hour
    *Scent of oil in coming from aircon vents everytime there's a sudden press on the accelerator.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the oil scent is definitely not good. have the car checked asap...

did your aircon still blow out cool air even at 3/4 temp reading?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    *nugundam93

Sir malamig pa rin naman ung aircon kahit 3/4 ung temp reading.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmm...i was thinking na probably kasi it was just running the whole day. then again, naalala ko yung ae92 GL namin that my folks would bring to the province, nakakaya ng 8 hour drive yung typically 12 hour drive, short stopover lang twice, di naman nagooverheat or anything close to it.

then again, this definitely calls for a trip to the casa

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    tnx sir. guess deretso akong casa bukas. hehe. salamat po uli.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    anyway, i do hope the other tsikoteers give their inputs later.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Oo nga sir eh.. baka may iba ring gamay na tong mga ganitong klase ng problema.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Lots of possible reasons for this to happen. All of these have happened to me at one time or another:

One is slow moving fans or water pump. They'll be fine while idling, but at highway speeds, the fans could be too slow, or the water pump could start slipping.

Could be hoses that leak only at high engine speeds and temperatures. There may be pinhole leaks that expand when the pressure in them rises. This is cheapest to fix, just replace the radiator hoses and observe.

But if you can smell oil, and the coolant starts going down, you might have the beginnings of a gasket failure. I had that on a Sentra once after an overhaul. The car would run fine, but temps would go up in long running, as the heat and pressure lifted the head off the gasket and let some oil and water leak through.

(Knock on wood), hope that's not what you have.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm.... it could be the thermostat is nearing the end of it's life span.

thermostat not opening properly, coolant cannot circulate, tumatapon lang yung coolant.

just a guess

edit: I just realized your car is 2004 model, kung thermostat yan, parang ang aga naman bumigay nyan.
    Last edited by artpogi; October 15th, 2006 at 03:35 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    weird. warped cylinder heads? napa overhaul na ba yan? if yes, baka kelangan lang ng re-torque. kase nangyari yan sa 626 ko after top overhaul. malakas pa rin yung pressure sa engine. so pina-retorque namen. ok na after. also, nangyari na rin sakin nangamoy oil yung engine bay, apparently naghalo ang oil at tubig nung nag-overheat ako. some cylinder heads are warped, my oil cooler was damaged, all solved by top overhaul.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Weird temp readings on Lancer CVT MX 2004