New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
    Matibay ba itong mga to? Won't this crack in the long run?

I understand the Echo was the first VVTi equipped engine in the country. Any negative feedback on these plastic intake manifolds in your long term ownership?

Another thing about these new VVTi engines. I noticed they have only 1 auxiliary fan. Any overheating problems encountered with VVTi equipped cars in our hot country?

fenderbender,
    plastics per se have different formulations, there are polyethylene, polypropylene, poly carbonate, polyvinyl chloride (pvc), polymer (the same material to make glocks), abs, chloropolyvinyl chloride, bakelite and some other plastics. your intake mainfold is made of polymer which is resistant to heat to some degree and resistant to warpage if installed right. composite materials have been widely used in cars to reduce the vehicle weight, resist corrosion, insulate from heat (so your intake air is not too hot causing detonation), and of course less expensive to manufacture. there is no need to worry about the "plastic" intake manifold.
    as with only one fan in front of your condenser and radiator, there is absolutely no need to overcool your engine.
    jick

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    fenderbender,
    plastics per se have different formulations, there are polyethylene, polypropylene, poly carbonate, polyvinyl chloride (pvc), polymer (the same material to make glocks), abs, chloropolyvinyl chloride, bakelite and some other plastics. your intake mainfold is made of polymer which is resistant to heat to some degree and resistant to warpage if installed right. composite materials have been widely used in cars to reduce the vehicle weight, resist corrosion, insulate from heat (so your intake air is not too hot causing detonation), and of course less expensive to manufacture. there is no need to worry about the "plastic" intake manifold.
    as with only one fan in front of your condenser and radiator, there is absolutely no need to overcool your engine.
    jick

p.s.
    as per the gasket, you can use rtv(room temperature vulcanizing) sealant that is oxygen sensor safe, just make sure the surfaces to be sealed are free of dirt and oil residue.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    i think it shouldnt pose as a problem. ang dadaan lang diyan is the filtered air to be combined with the combustion chamber and plastics of this kind should be resistant after being tested.

as i see it, this is one of the many ways of weight reduction considering that most compact C-Category sedans like the Altis as an example has exceeded 1 ton in curb weight already!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
VVTi's Plastic Intake Manifold